DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 14: LESNAR vs. REGAL

BROCK vs. WILLIAM REGAL  

118 members have voted

1. 1. THE BEAST vs. THE MAN'S MAN

I voted Regal for this because I liked his occasional matches from the time period more than Lesnar's occasional matches from the time period.  I also assumed he would need the votes more, but then it turns out he's leading by 15 so that point was a poor one.

I'd be interested what this poll would look like if Brock didn't have a few months of HHHs stink all over him.

That was a black hole of suck that somehow turned Brock into fast forward material by association.

Except for the Baaaaaaahrooooooock Lesnaaaaaaaaaaaahr Extreme Corporate Office Makeover bit, which is almost up there with Henry's retirement.

Liked Regal's matches better than Brock's matches, though all of them were fantastic.

Tough vote, but simple as that. Regal's pre-match promo before Cesaro was better than just about anything anyone did this year.

• Like 1

The Regal promo before the Ohno match where he was talking about how he had locked up his demons and he was begging for forgiveness from his family for unlocking them is pretty much better than 99% of the promos... well ever...

A vote against Brock is a vote against all that is surprising and chaotic about wrestling.  Regal continues to be a great stepping stone for the NXT guys and is one of the best commentators they have on the roster, but Brock is a difference maker.  He changes the atmosphere every time his music hits.

Regal actually served as a less chaotic version of the 'shit just got real' card in NXT against Ambrose last year and Ohno in this one.  Like maybe he wasn't going to throw a telephone pole into the crowd but he was going to grab someone by the left nostril and absolutely torture them with it.  It was like the NXT guys didn't feel like they could really cut it in the big leagues unless they could get past the veteran.  I feel as though he sort of passed that banner onto Cesaro now which is cool by me, but I doubt Antonio will be able to bring the same degree of quality limb work to the role.

From the first round thread:

What is he doing in 2014 that strikes you as smarter than what he did in 94?

For one thing, the limb work in his matches is actually paid off now. Also, he's stopped doing dumbfuckery like busting himself open hardway with shoot headbutts.

I voted Brock. It comes down to a handful of matches for both guys, and Punk/Lesnar was my MOTY, so there you go.

This was easy. Regal had two incredible matches last year and another really fun showing in a six-man. Lesnar carried Punk to a miracle but outside of that he had two snoozefests with Triple H. Voted Regal.

• Like 2

From the first round thread:

What is he doing in 2014 that strikes you as smarter than what he did in 94?

For one thing, the limb work in his matches is actually paid off now. Also, he's stopped doing dumbfuckery like busting himself open hardway with shoot headbutts.

I think you may have Regal confused with Harley Race.

How many matches have you seen with Regal busting himself open with shoot headbutts?

That's like not liking HBK because he falls off ladders.