DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 12: SHIBATA vs. WAGNER

KATSUYORI SHIBATA vs. DR. WAGNER Jr.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. SHIBAGNER vs. DR. WABATA JR.

Luchadores who come to the ring with "Bad Medicine" as entrance music > stiffing people with kicks.

I was going to sit this one out, but this incredibly compelling argument has won me over. Anyone who can take a song as awful as Bad Medicine and make it awesome deserves to be in the Sweet 16.

This is a kind of funny match up as it's the battle of guys who were the other dudes in great matches with better wrestlers.  That's not to say Shibata added nothing to the Ishii match or Wagner added nothing to the Park brawl - I enjoyed them in both of those matches in fact.  Just that that's pretty much the whole of both guys candidacies in my eyes. 

I voted for Wagner, but I can't believe he's going to win this.  I liked him better in the Park match and in an old man's TXT tag than anything I got out of Shibata so I sort of begrudgingly voted for him.  Shibata has disappointed me, but a lot of NJPW fans really loved him last year and NJPW fans have carried Tanahashi and Ishii to the Sweet Sixteen, and gotten Okada almost fifty votes against a guy who was a part of one of the closest to "loved by consensus acts" in wrestling last year.  It blows my mind that in that climate Shibata is going to lose to a guy whose entire argument really comes down to 2 matches (one of which very few people here have probably even watched). 

In a world where Rey Escorpion doesn't make the tournament at all, Rush gets bounced in the first round, as does the better worker in Wagner's marquee match (LA Park), fucking Wagner is going to make the Sweet Sixteen.  Lol

Amusingly, because of the timing of their careers, these two have wrestled each other in the distant past. Though, Shibata was a lot different than he would become.

1    NJPW Summer Struggle - Day 22
21. Juli 1999 @ Nakajima Sports Center in Sapporo, Hokkaido (Japan)
Kendo KaShin defeated Dr. Wagner Jr. and Jushin Thunder Liger and Katsuyori Shibata and Koji Kanemoto and El Samurai and Shinjiro Otani and Shinya Makabe and Tatsuhito Takaiwa and Wataru Inoue [10-Man Super Junior Battle Royal]
2    NJPW Adios Perro en Japon - Day 3
5. März 2000 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Dr. Wagner Jr. defeated Katsuyori Shibata

3    NJPW Strong Energy - Day 2
20. April 2001 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Dr. Wagner Jr. and Silver King defeated Katsuyori Shibata and Wataru Inoue
4    NJPW Strong Energy - Day 3
21. April 2001 @ City Gymnasium in Kasugai, Aichi (Japan)
Dr. Wagner Jr. and Silver King defeated Kendo KaShin and Katsuyori Shibata
5    NJPW Strong Energy - Day 8
29. April 2001 @ Nagasaki Prefectural Gymnasium in Nagasaki, Nagasaki (Japan)
Minoru Tanaka, Dr. Wagner Jr. and Silver King defeated Jushin Thunder Liger, Kendo KaShin and Katsuyori Shibata
6    NJPW Best of the Super Juniors VIII - Day 3
20. Mai 2001 @ Municipial Gymnasium in Koga, Ibaraki (Japan)
Dr. Wagner Jr. defeated Katsuyori Shibata [best of the Super Jr., Block B]

7    NJPW Best of the Super Juniors VIII - Day 10
3. Juni 2001 @ Tsuyama Gymnasium in Tsuyama, Okayama (Japan)
Minoru Tanaka, Dr. Wagner Jr., Super SHOCKER, Shinya Makabe and Katsuyori Shibata defeated Gran Naniwa, Silver King, El Samurai, Jushin Thunder Liger and Wataru Inoue [2 out of 3 Falls Match]
8    NJPW G1 World - Day 5
14. September 2001 @ City Gymnasium in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka (Japan)
Dr. Wagner Jr. and Silver King vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Wataru Inoue ended without a winner
9    CMLL Súper Viernes - 46. Aniversario de la Arena México
12. April 2002 @ La Arena México in México, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
Dr. Wagner Jr., Gigante Silva and Shocker defeated Gigante Singh, El Puma Inoue and Katsuyori Shibata