DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 8: TANAHASHI vs. J. USO

TANAHASHI vs. J. USO  

105 members have voted

1. 1. I wonder if this gets ugly.

Motherfucker...

I'm not a huge Tanahashi fan and find him hugely repetitive.  J. Uso is strictly tags though.  And Tanahashi's done a lot with Nakamura, who I do really like, so that's been all good.  Fuck, I need to think on this.  I'm leaning Tanahashi... but I could be swayed.

The Usos are like the world's best possible Hardy Boyz right now. They're able to manage both the crazy spotfest sprints (when was that match with the Wyatts?) and longer matches with build and payout. They work the crowd really well and probably had the feel good moment of 2014 so far.

Man I'm glad J. Uso is getting popular. I've been a fan for a long time, and I think he and his brother have worked really fucking hard to get over when the booking just wasn't there. Their stuff on NXT Never Ending Season was all really great tag work.

I think this is one of those match ups that someone needs to sway me on. J. Uso is on a great pure babyface team and I love that I can get what is essentially the Samoan equivalent of a Rock and Roll Express match on TV every week. Tanahashi does not really suit my tastes as a wrestling fan, but I think if I looked at everything objectively I would say he had a more complete year (albeit one with way more opportunity to have such a thing). 

It's clear and evident that if everyone watched a few Tanahashi matches this would be a blowout in his favor. It's a fact that he's a better wrestler and everyone voting for Uso is only doing so because they like the Haka, because nobody could like their matches better.

Tanahashi doesn't necessarily suit my personal tastes, but I can't really justify voting for a tag team only guy again.

Just out of curiosity what is there to justify?

Voting for the combined work of two fairly interchangeable guys who are really good at working a formula I enjoy vs. voting for one guy who is really good at working a formula I don't enjoy. Internal justification, I mean. I don't feel the need to explain a vote to the NJPW hoi polloi.

I have to take a stand against the hidebound WWE tag formula. It's fine for chewing up minutes on Raw, but the Usos haven't really shown the ability or inclination to step outside that formula. Sweet 16 material should be made of sterner stuff.

When has Tanahashi ever shown the ability or inclination to step out of his own formula? Voted Uso.

It's clear and evident that if everyone watched a few Tanahashi matches this would be a blowout in his favor. It's a fact that he's a better wrestler and everyone voting for Uso is only doing so because they like the Haka, because nobody could like their matches better.

I too can't comprehend when people disagree with me.

• Like 2

I like the Usos, but I really like Tanahashi. I'll probably be on the losing side of this one. Tanahashi just has lots of charisma that sucks me in and, even though he has flaws (especially as a seller), he works those quickly-paced matches quite nicely. Assuming he were able to cut promos in WWE, he would be a big star there...bigger than the Usos, I think.

I hate to vote against the Sons of Rikishi, though because they are badass. I would say they got better over the year to the point where I really think highly of them, but Tanahashi had a more consistently good year. 

EDIT: Tanahashi up twelve? I really am surprised. 

• Like 1