DVDVR Message Board

Jazz is Alive

Death From Above

I can't seem to find the studio version of this on youtube, but you get the idea. 

This version of Everything In It's Right Place has a Burt Bacharach kind of feel which is fascinating concept to me.

There's some tremendous stuff on Spotify, if you can use that. I went nuts on Charlie Parker. There's a collection of those War Bond concerts that he lead where in between sets they're telling people to purchase war bonds to support the troops. Brilliant shit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man this is amazing. Though it's hard to classify really. Certainly not any form of recognizable jazz, but it sure doesn't seem to fit better anywhere else either so here I put it.

Vol. 2 Judges was a slightly better overall album at least to my early impressions, but the highs on Vol. 3 are pretty mind blowing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been on a big Joe Henderson/Kenny Dorham kick:

Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Tommy Flanagan (piano), Richard Davis (bass), Albert Heath (drums)

Joe Henderson (tenor sax,) Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Andrew Hill (piano), Eddie Khan (bass), Pete La Roca (drums)

http://youtu.be/rz7fFx0kH0w

Kenny Dorham (trumpet), Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Ronnie Mathews (piano), Steve Davis (bass), J.C. Moses (drums)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Raise your hand if you've never heard of Tubby Hayes. Next time the conversation turns to who was the greatest tenor saxophonist of the 50's and early 60's, remember his take on Tin Tin Deo. Every time I hear it, I stand slack-jawed and befuddled. What an incredible musician!

• 1 year later...