DVDVR Message Board

What are you reading?

Shane

On 9/8/2016 at 10:33 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

After yet another GoT binge, I'm slowly working through The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones.  I love worldbuilding stuff like this, even if it's not 100% official/by GRRM/whatevs.

So, have you heard the Good Word about the Malazan Empire?

I have a pamphlet. 

The missus and I accomplished our goal: read 50 books before ordering any new ones. (We had to break the rule for work-related books, but they don't count.) We were so proud of ourselves that we actually managed to do this (and were astounded at how much keeping a list motivates you to read more) that we decided to start a new 50-books list before ordering any new ones. We still have plenty more unread books than that to keep us going, so... why not? In the meantime, of course, our joint 'Wish List' on Amazon, that we keep just for ourselves so we'll remember all the books we want, just keeps growing: 2 337 books so far (plus the many pieces of paper and Notepad/Word documents with more titles, themes and authors).

But with my birthday coming up, followed by hers, followed by Christmas... well, clearly we need to break the rule for that. Presents don't count.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since there is no RIP thread for the book section, 

RIP WP Kinsella.

Ahh, hell... Bill was really a good guy, used to see him at Mariners games back in the day... 

18 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

YIWmM88l.jpg

I read this years ago when I was like 10. Tracked down another copy last year and re-reading it right now. Heard Farmer did a book like this all about Doc Savage. Gonna have to track down a copy.

Great, great stuff... Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life is even better. There was to be a third one, Richard Wentworth/The Spider/G-8. Farmer originally postulated that Wentworth was The Spider/G-8/The Shadow until he realized that there was no possible way one guy could have possibly done all that in the timeline allowed. The idea of a progressively more insane G-8 becoming the borderline psychotic Spider is an idea I would have loved to see developed further.

Just finished Apocalypse Cow, by Michael Logan: which was co-won the first-ever Terry Pratchett "Anywhere But Here, Anywhen But Now" First Novel Award.

An insanely fun first novel, that takes the idea of "mad cow disease" to a whole new level of violence, mayhem, and comedy.

Can't wait to read the sequel, World War Moo.

This is a first for me. I just started A Witness to Genocide: The First Inside Account of the Horrors of Ethnic Cleansing in Bosnia by Roy Gutman, a 1993 Pulitzer Prize winner. It's a second-hand copy. Right after the Acknowledgments, someone glued a piece of paper on a blank section with the words, 'Warning: Contains NATO war propaganda lies trying to justify aggression against Yugoslavia, democratic country with impeccable human rights record' followed by some book recommendations, websites and phone numbers.

I only just started Boy's Life by Robert McCammon, but I love it already.

It seemed to me that Mr Sculley understood the very nucleus of existence, that he had kept his young eyes and young heart even though his body had grown old. He saw straight through the cosmic order of things, and he knew that life is not held only in flesh and bone, but also in those objects - a good, faithful pair of shoes; a reliable car; a pen that always works; a bike that has taken you a many a mile - into which we put our trust and which give us back the security and joy of memories. Here the ancient hearts of stone may chortle and say, 'That's ridiculous!' But let me ask you a question of them: don't you ever wish - even for just a fleeting moment - that you could have your first bike again? You remember what it looked like. You remember. Did you name it Trigger, or Buttermilk, or Flicka, or Lightning? Who took that bike away, and where did it go? Don't you ever, ever wonder?

On 10/9/2016 at 0:37 AM, bobholly138 said:

Finished Tarzan Alive. Wanted a horror novel I hadn't read before. So dug out Richard Laymon's Endless Nights. About 3 chapters in and so far it is good.

Hard to go wrong with Dick Laymon, helluva writer and did the best Eric Cartman voice I've ever heard. ;-)

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

Hard to go wrong with Dick Laymon, helluva writer and did the best Eric Cartman voice I've ever heard. ;-)

So far I have read 10 or so books that Laymon wrote. Out of those 10 only 2 were bad. Dark Mountain and the Lake. But keep seeing that the Lake was unfinished when Richard passed.And what got printed was a rough draft.

Right after I learned about Laymon,2008 or so,I was in my sadly now closed local used bookstore. She had 15 or so of his novels so I grabbed all of them.