DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 5: SUWAMA vs. VIRUS

SUWAMA vs. VIRUS  

65 members have voted

1. 1. You know what to do.

Right, so I'm a fan of Suwama. For some reason I like watching his longer matches more than a lot of other guys who get to go EPIC. He's got a relatively no-nonsense kind of style, nothing super special or anything, and I like that. I liked his work with Go Shiozaki last year, but his year definitely suffers from the Mutoh talent exodus. 

That being said, I can't really argue against Virus.

Fucking Virus. I put him as my #5 in the world in 2013, and he's having a hell of a 2014 so far as well. Everyone should watch this match from 17 years ago for about a million reasons why Virus is the baddest mother fucker in the world to stand under five foot six inches tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv8PKmlJGKQ

Suwama was ok for a few years there. His 2010-2011 title run was solid enough. I remember ranking the title change where he beat MiSu really high, and the first Funaki defense as well.

I agree that this should be a blow out but Suwama is not the puro antichrist some are making him out to be. I think he's pretty good in big matches but can maybe phone it in for the random 6man. While I admit one of them made me fall asleep I like the Suwama vs Shiozaki matches. I can only imagine how much a couple of you must have hated that rivalry.

Suwama struck me as an extremely generic puro guy with the same stuff as every other stocky guy in Japan.  

Virus (even though I voted for him) still bothers me with the submission moves flowing way too easily from hold to hold without a struggle.  It comes off more 'your turn, my turn' than an actual contest.  Give me someone like Regal who knows who to make everything look like work over the smoothness I get from Virus.