DVDVR Message Board

UFC 171: Hendricks vs. Lawler (3/15/2014) - Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I would get a little worried about being weighed by a guy so fat that he needs a scooter.  The look at Hendricks made you think he doesn't believe the scale at all.   Most people who knows they are overweight at weigh-ins  aren't that confident.

Doesn't also help that at least 3 guys failed to make weight.  That was going to be a crowded sauna.

Only one failed to make weight actually, Renee Forte.  Gastelum made weight on his third attempt.  

Also, Dolce claimed someone messed up their own special scale they were using.  So it wasn't the commission's scale that was wrong.

Rogan praises Weidman for checking Silva's kick and his leg snapping, Woodley takes Condit down and hurt his knee, he dosen't give Woodley any cred.

That main event was so manly. I thought Lawler was getting out classed after the first round and a half, then boom. Hendricks showed heart, and took that 5th round though. 

• Like 1

So based on the scorecard, the round of the night was the 1st round.  Granted I don't know as much as I think but I thought Lawler by a slim slim margin won the 1st round but nobody else did.   Everything else was right what I expected although one judge gave the 2nd round a 10-8 and I didn't see one round that was deserving that. 

Damn, first thing I thought after they announced the winner of the main even is how happy Craig would be.  Awesome fight and thankfully the judges got it right.  LMAO though at the hard sell by Goldberg and Rogan that Rory is the true number one contender.

PS: OSP!

MacDonald doesn't deserve a shot.

Too bad for Lawler.  He was way too laid back in the first two rounds.

I like Diego Sanchez.  He's an insane madman and he's tough, but he's just so one dimensional now.  He like adrenaline dumped before he got into the cage and did all his intense faces and then he gets walloped by Jury almost outright.  Just like his fight with BJ Penn.

Via one of those stat places:

Hendricks/Lawler combine for 308 significant strikes, a new UFC title fight record surpassing Jones/Gustafsson (244)

Hendricks (158) and Lawler (150) author the 4th- and 7th-largest significant strike totals in a single welterweight fight.

The next WW title contender basically comes down to one of these guys: Tyron Woodley, Hector Lombard or Rory MacDonald.  Hendricks isn't injured or anything to allow 2 of them to fight to determine an official title contender since you don't want to bench your champ just to simply determine an official title contender you ought as well just pick one of their names out of a hat.  You gotta figure that they need the WW title defended on UFC 175 in early July since it'll be the most high profile title available to being defended at that time.

Guest Edwin

Best UFC main card this year with the best UFC fight (Hendricks vs. Lawler) I've seen so far.

I can't agree with this. This fight was not better than Trujillo/Varner or Pickett/Seery and it was slightly a tad bit better than Chul Nam/Tokudome.

I scored the fight 47-46 for Hendricks. I thought Hendricks clearly won rounds 1, 2 and 5 and Lawler won rounds 2 and 3.

Had Lawler not gassed, he would've won the fight.

Hendricks fought a lot differently than he usually does. He didn't really throw left hand bombs like he usually does and mostly just used 1-2 leg kicks or 1-2 body kicks.

I'm sure if Nick Diaz doesn't comeback, Rory's most likely getting the first title shot at Hendricks. The UFC has always been wanting to push him as the next GSP despite his performances against Ellenberger and Lawler.

Lombard also looked amazing sweeping Shields off his feet continuously through the fight though.

Big step up in competition for Jury and big win for him. If Diego was a boring fighter, he wouldn't be thought of so highly by the UFC. I don't think Diego can beat any of the top 20 lightweights in the world right now. I hope they continue giving Jury fights with guys who are established, but not unbeatable like Diego instead of having him fight someone like Nurmagomedov.

That Von Flue Choke by OSP was amazing.

I don't get the Rory should be next. He has one win, after losing to Lawler. Woodley & Lombard have streaks. I know it's all pointless complaining about this kind of stuff though. UFC will do whatever, It could end up being anybody.