DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 4: AMBROSE vs. OKADA

AMBROSE vs. OKADA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. WILL AMBROSE BE THE FIRST SHIELD MEMBER TO FALL!!?!?!?

I'll go ahead and admit I voted for Ambrose without having ever seen an Okada match. I assume you're right and there are plenty of people who did the same.

I have no desire to expand my wrestling horizons. I'd prefer that this tournament was just WWE guys and so I will always vote for them. I am not ashamed.

No but seriously guys, Buddy Rose. What if Buddy Rose had the rainmaker gimmick too? Now I want a vignette of Buddy riding a dinosaur through a fast food drive thru.

Buddy Rose with a dinosaur is sort of like a Fred Flinstone gimmick.

I'll go ahead and admit I voted for Ambrose without having ever seen an Okada match. I assume you're right and there are plenty of people who did the same.

I have no desire to expand my wrestling horizons. I'd prefer that this tournament was just WWE guys and so I will always vote for them. I am not ashamed.

"I like this.."  - Diddy

Gah, I have this pop song stuck in my head right now but I can't figure out who sings it. It's from a commercial. It goes something like "oooohh oooh somebody loves you"

I guess that's better than "You can tell everybody, I'm the man, I'm the man, I'm the man" considering how that worked out. :/

Some will disagree with me but I just find it dificult to believe that the 59 people (the number of people who have voted for Ambrose) have actually seen more than a single match of or even know who Okada is. I had no issue with the lucha vs. lucha matchups having low vote totals because I respect that people chose not to vote on something they know nothing about, myself included.  

In this case, people are seeing Ambrose and voting without giving a second thought to the guy he is facing. That's how I am seeing it..  I think if more people knew of Okada they would be speaking on his year vs. Ambrose's year. Outside of a few people there's been little discussion of their respective years/matches/angles/etc.

I don't disagree with you that people shouldn't vote for things they don't know about, but if people should be seeking out Okada to watch in the interest of fairness, why weren't you watching Virus and Rush matches in the interest of fairness?

Some will disagree with me but I just find it dificult to believe that the 59 people (the number of people who have voted for Ambrose) have actually seen more than a single match of or even know who Okada is. I had no issue with the lucha vs. lucha matchups having low vote totals because I respect that people chose not to vote on something they know nothing about, myself included.  

In this case, people are seeing Ambrose and voting without giving a second thought to the guy he is facing. That's how I am seeing it..  I think if more people knew of Okada they would be speaking on his year vs. Ambrose's year. Outside of a few people there's been little discussion of their respective years/matches/angles/etc.

I don't disagree with you that people shouldn't vote for things they don't know about, but if people should be seeking out Okada to watch in the interest of fairness, why weren't you watching Virus and Rush matches in the interest of fairness?

I've only been voting in the matchups where I've seen both guys and it just comes down to not having enough time for everything. I've been wanting to get into lucha. I would imagine a lot of people are running into the same problem. Network, Japan, WrestleMania season..   no doubt it's unfair for me to criticize but the way I deal with it is by abstaining.

I'm not exactly part of the problem, or solution, but I'll chime in. I watched the Nakamura vs. Ibushi match that was the Tokyo Sports MOTY around Xmas and it made me want to get back into the current puro scene. So I checked out the 1/4 event and eventually the 12/23 tag. I thought everything was okay, and I loved some of the crazy entrances, but it wasn't like it felt watching japan in 2005 and 2006. The intensity in the ring between WWE and the Japanese companies seemed to be more pronounced back then, but it's much less so now. I always preferred AJPW and NOAH to NJPW, so maybe that has something to do with my preferences, but like has been said before NJPW isn't for everyone.

Bottom line, I think Ambrose is a clear number 3 in the Shield, but I still voted for him. This March-March could be top 5 in company history for WWE, and Ambrose had his working boots on for every second of it. I believe that if he had been given more to do with the US belt he would have. I know that doesn't effect what's actually being considered, but it's still in the back of my head. Combine that with the "50-50 booking" Okada is getting in this thread (he's the best in Japan; I largely found him boring) and I don't feel guilt in a WWE vote.

• Like 1

Okay...I just watch WWE and NJPW so I'll chime in on match-ups I feel somewhat equipped to vote on.

Um...this is tough. Frequently I think that Okada is just "the opponent" against whatever guy he's going with. Not that the matches aren't great, but I'm not walking away thinking that he blew me away, except for his dropkick and his finisher. In fact, I think that Red Ink is like up there with the Cena STF/Rock Sharpshooter in submissions I don't buy.

On the other hand, Ambrose is incredible and a pivotal member in what'll probably be my favorite wrestling faction since the Windham Horsemen. However, as noted, where are the really great singles matches, and where are the matches where he was the best guy in there?

He has the promos, though I feel he hasn't really been able to go off on them until recently. Okada has a giant dinosaur and a sword and Gedo.

I mean, I watched every night of G1 and can't name a Okada match off the top of my head but clearly remember just about everything Ishi, Tanahashi, Nakamura did. However, I've enjoyed every Okada match I've seen. Like, I just watched him and Ibushi from the other night. Great match, and worked at a helluva of a pace. I don't think Okada had the flashy matches of the NJPW year (nothing like Shibata did, or Nakamura did against guys like Sombra or Ibushi, or even the high-end stuff that Ishi and Goto did) but he consistently had good to great matches.

If I'm voting purely in-ring performance I can see Okada because he did more singles, and had main event slots and delivered against a wide variety. Yeah, Dean was 1/6 of great matches, but we're looking at several Shield matches that are Top 10 of the WWE decade, and, realistically, before Rollins and Reigns stepped up their charisma game, he was the flash point of the best gimmick and the best week-in/week-out performances of the WWE this decade (with the exception of Bryan).

I'm going Dean, but it's a tough choice.

• Like 2

This tournament would be more entertaining if we replaced the foreign guys with domestic women. A vote against Okada is a vote for your favorite Diva. #EMMAlution

This tournament would be more entertaining if we replaced the foreign guys with domestic women. A vote against Okada is a vote for your favorite Diva. #EMMAlution

If we're including looks in this, then it's Dean in a walk.

Hair: Dean (come on!)

slender calves: Dean

domestic hips: Dean

gentle wrists: Dean

sympathetic eyes: Dean

best duckface: Dean

beguiling mood swings: Dean

Note: These are, like, official categories for, like, beauty.

If we're including looks in this, then it's Dean in a walk.

Hair: Dean (come on!)

slender calves: Dean

domestic hips: Dean

gentle wrists: Dean

sympathetic eyes: Dean

best duckface: Dean

beguiling mood swings: Dean

Note: These are, like, official categories for, like, beauty.

I've kept out of this argument because I can see either side, but this is fucking bullshit. Okada is breathtakingly pretty.