DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 4: AMBROSE vs. OKADA

AMBROSE vs. OKADA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. WILL AMBROSE BE THE FIRST SHIELD MEMBER TO FALL!!?!?!?

Dean has a great character and plays it so well... he is the third best guy in-ring wise in The Shield so far but that's not taking much away because they are all great.

Okada is pretty awesome. His dropdick is magical. He had a dinosaur entrance.

I'm torn but I might lean okada because I realize he has no shot to win this..

You know.. this is a matchup that illustrates why the world probably shouldn't have been included. I'm one of a handful of people who watch NJPW on here and almost nobody watches Mexico... however, if some people are finding out about new guys now then maybe its worth it... just let it be known that this will be an all WWE final four..

Every time Okada uses a tombstone piledriver as a transition spot or set up, I can't help but think about Justin Credible. 

Okada makes me think about Justin Credible. Easy vote for Dean Ambrose, who would have been deified in Philadelphia had he been old enough to be in ECW. 

From the first round thread that was closed before I had a chance to respond:

Its one thing to drop an elbow when your arm hurts.  Its something else to throw a picture perfect leap 6 feet in the air dropkick when you couldn't run the ropes or stand a moment before.

Oh me too, but if Okada comes up against someone like Bryan and I'm looking for a way to separate them, I'm not going to ignore it.

He's temporarily blocking out the pain because the advantage he gains from hitting the dropkick outweighs the damage he'll do to himself by performing it. And it's not like Bryan's limb selling is impeccable.

WWE and NJPW are the two biggest wrestling companies in the world, and we are talking about the IWGP Champion and the third guy in a midcard tag team.  People I love Ambrose as much as the next guy, but one of these guys deserves to move on and one guy doesn't.  Make the right choice.  Watch some Okada matches before you vote, if you don't agree vote for Ambrose, but I bet you'll agree.

Using the size of the company and a wrestler's place on the card is a weak metric, to argue for a guy being the best. And it clearly doesn't matter to the voters here. Randy Orton is the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. He got beat by the guy who held the GHC title all year, the top title in not even the third largest company in Japan. 

I'm not sure what card position has to do with anything in the Tournament since the WWE World Champion got busted out in the first round.  

He's blocking out the pain because the advantage he gains from hitting the dropkick outweighs the damage he'll do to himself by performing it. And it's not like Bryan's limb selling is impeccable.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if his leg is hanging on by a thread, he shouldn't be able to make the dropkick look effortless?  Like I prefer it when Cena *really* has to struggle to get a big guy up for the AA.  Okada can be a little too fluid for my tastes at times.  But this is all like me being "What's wrong with this guy" and I pretty much do it for everyone.  I voted Rainmaker.

He's temporarily blocking out the pain because the advantage he gains from hitting the dropkick outweighs the damage he'll do to himself by performing it. And it's not like Bryan's limb selling is impeccable.

I really think that Bryan should lose to Cesaro this year (if not someone else) almost solely on him dropping his limb selling. That's not to say it's all important so much as when you hit something as high end as who's #1, the little things matter and with Bryan it's fairly glaring. Cesaro on the other hand does stuff like the rejointing of his own limb to justify downplaying his selling. 

I actually prefer Ambrose in general to Okada (not only the facial expressions, but I just prefer Ambrose's slightly-unhinged bar-fighter style) and all those Shield trios to Okada's work last year, and I enjoyed Okada/Tanahashi twice and Okada/Ishii.

I actually think I prefer Tanahashi and Ishii to Okada if I'm watching NJPW matches. I actually saw a decent amount of NJPW last year, so I don't think I'm too uninformed.

I think this is just a bad matchup for Okada - I would probably vote him over a ton of other people in this tournament, but not Ambrose, probably not Harper, not Cesaro, not Bryan, I'd have to think about Cena, not Ishii or Tanahashi...I've been watching more Negro Casas due to people promoting him, and probably I would vote for Casas instead too. But otherwise, Okada's high on my list. 

The difference between Orton and Okada are pretty significant.  Orton as a character and in reality is a placeholder champion who isn't taken seriously.  NJPW put a saddle on Okada and are looking to ride him into the future.  Okada has been in multiple 4* matches, and has solidified himself as THE MAN  in New Japan.  He has held what is the most prestigious championship in the world for close to a year in a promotion where the belt is more than just a prop for angles.  Over the last year, he has become champion, defended his title 8 times, and solidified himself at 26 years old as the future of puroresu. 

The Shield is a midcard tag team, like all WWE tag teams, Ambrose even has one of the "King of the Midcard" titles.  I wasn't using midcard as a pejorative, just pointing out the difference in what they are required to do in their roles. Ambrose usually only has to carry 1/6th of a match and I admit that he is capable of so much more.  Okada's job is to keep the belt credible by taking on all challengers and putting on great matches.  Ambrose's job is to act like a lunatic to keep his team over, that is a big difference when we are talking about who had the best year.  One had a really good year being the face of a company with all of the responsibilities that come with it.  The other had a really good year being one of three faces in a midcard tag team that is only responsible for being 1/6th of a good match. 

• Like 1

I'm voting for Okada based on having 10 straight title matches that I thought were really good to off the charts great. Add in the G1, the 12-23 tag, not many people have the resume for last year that Okada has.

Don't get me wrong Ambrose is great but he's 1/3, really 1/6 of most of his great matches. Really nothing he did as a singles guy was all that special.