DVDVR Message Board

Eisner Awards 2013

Brian Fowler

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/07/sdcc-13-saga-david-aja-chris-ware-among-eisner-winners/

Man, remember when DC/Vertigo used to clean up at the Eisners?

I think it's a direct result of where DC is right now. You have to think that at least two of those continuing titles would be at Vertigo if everything was the way it used to be.

I think it's funny how almost no Marvel or DC titles even made the nominations list.  However, down in the "best digital comic" category, they also seemed to go out of their way to nominate obscure websites that nobody's ever heard of, and avoid all the popular ones that draw a bunch of readers.  That makes me wonder if it's less a problem with the industry and more a problem with the people voting for the awards (who are they, anyway?) acting like snobby hipsters.  

I think it's funny how almost no Marvel or DC titles even made the nominations list.  However, down in the "best digital comic" category, they also seemed to go out of their way to nominate obscure websites that nobody's ever heard of, and avoid all the popular ones that draw a bunch of readers.  That makes me wonder if it's less a problem with the industry and more a problem with the people voting for the awards (who are they, anyway?) acting like snobby hipsters.

Raises hand.A lot of the nominations come down to who the judges are, since they change every year. And each category has a write-in option. I usuallyuse it once or twice per ballot, esp if i am unfamiliar with some of theno inees

Well, they really like SAGA and Brian K. Vaughan.  That's the main thing I got out of this list.  Also, it reminded me to check out Chris Ware's Building Stories set.

I need to look into Jonathan Hickman's work too.  I've read good things about The Manhattan Projects and East of West.

There are people who seem to have gotten the Eisner blessing and seem to win more often than not over the years.

Kurt Busiek, Todd Klein, Chris Ware, Stan Sakai, Ed Brubaker. BKV is one of those now.

That said, all of those people are talented creators and deserve accolades.

Huh?

There is a bunch of Marvel and Image stuff nominated and winning (less Dc).

I don't really follow comics closely at all these days but am familiar with 3 of the people who were nominated for digital comics; Deforge, Tobin and Coover (who I mostly associated with their Marvel stuff) and Dalrymple (who has worked for both Marvel and Image). Those three aren't near obscure nominees.

Huh?

There is a bunch of Marvel and Image stuff nominated and winning (less Dc).

What does Image have to do with the other two?  And Marvel's gets are limited to only two titles, no matter how many different nominations David Aja racked up.  When they go out of their way to reward just one guy's work out of the biggest comic company in the world, that feels awfully like a snub to Marvel in general.  

I don't really follow comics closely at all these days but am familiar with 3 of the people who were nominated for digital comics; Deforge, Tobin and Coover (who I mostly associated with their Marvel stuff) and Dalrymple (who has worked for both Marvel and Image). Those three aren't near obscure nominees.

Never heard of any of 'em; but more importantly, never heard of any of the nominated titles.  But apparently their "Digital Comics" section has some weird rules (much like the Oscars' infamous Foreign, Documentary, & Short categories) which would automatically disqualify pretty much all of the big popular webcomics anyway.  

What does Image have to do with the other two?  And Marvel's gets are limited to only two titles, no matter how many different nominations David Aja racked up.  When they go out of their way to reward just one guy's work out of the biggest comic company in the world, that feels awfully like a snub to Marvel in general.  

Disney/Marvel are not just well represented for their own publishing ventures but also stuff that they have leased out to other publishers like the IDW Artist Editions or the Carl Barks Duck stuff with Fantagraphics. This is a super poorly organized snub.

Disney/Marvel are not just well represented for their own publishing ventures but also stuff that they have leased out to other publishers like the IDW Artist Editions or the Carl Barks Duck stuff with Fantagraphics. This is a super poorly organized snub.

I'm not saying that it was a literal conspiracy where a bunch of Little Jimmies got together and decided to put a second shooter on the grassy knoll, or anything like that.  Just that the voting body clearly didn't have too much love for the 616 and went out of their way to showcase lesser-known indy titles over the better-selling big boys.  Even though they're all technically owned by the same people, those various offshoots you mentioned aren't what your average fan thinks of when he hears "Marvel".  And DC's inclusion, yeesh, did I count correctly when I thought they only got two or three nominations in the entire awards?  I know the big two are both kinda chaotic clownshoe operations to an extent and have been for a long time, but they're still the comics that 90% of fans read.  And yes I know that sales quantity =/= artistic quality, but it still reminds me of when the Oscars didn't nominate The Dark Knight a few years back.  

So, what changed?  

I should note that these are legit inquiries for information from an ignorant person; my interest in comics may be deep, but it certainly isn't broad.  I think Saga is the only book on the entire list that I've actually read.  Compared to my obsessive movie knowledge and semi-encyclopedic/semi-insider wrestling know-how, I don't know shit about how the comic industry works.  I like to think that I'd love to attempt being a comic writer one of these days, just noodling around with a few little side projects in between doing whatever my real job is (I've got some really neat ideas for a series of one-shot out-of-continuity stories about various Batman villains); but I don't pretend to know the first thing about how to actually DO that, aside from what I've learned by reading random interviews and the various How-To books from folks like Eisner and Moore and O'Neil.  

In short: Vertigo mostly shrunk to nothing (although it is poised for a comeback later this year) and DC moved to a more aggressive model of cutting underperforming books, and pushing sales over artistic quality to a degree beyond what they did in the past, as a big part of the New 52.

They kind of became more like what Marvel traditionally was, although isn't really these days.  IIRC, Marvel did really well last year.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The weird thing is that a lot of the noms are for books that got minimum talk throughout the year as well. Including some with multiple noms. Meanwhile some of the most acclaimed workof the year got snubbed. This is...weird. 

I'm not saying they chose wrong, but I can't think immediately of another year where the nominations are so out of line with what's been talked up.