DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 3: WYATT vs. CENA

WYATT vs. CENA  

135 members have voted

1. 1. WRESTLEMANIA PREVIEW!

And Bray no sells promos all the time. Doing that goofy cackling and shuffling. 

"Bray you must face Kane in an Inferno match."

"By the mercy of Grey Skull. Hahahaha!!"

Starts dancing with Harper while Rowan plays the jug,

I don't agree with this, but it genuinely made me laugh. 

I said this in another thread, but I loved Waylon Mercy, so Bray Wyatt cutting psychopathic backwoodsman promos is awesome. And dammit, I hope one day Rowan plays the jug while Wyatt and Harper have a hoedown and a hootenanny and such. 

• Like 1

I just got a message from an old friend breaking this down.

[Herzog]

John Cena's smile is the smile of the lying fool.  It is the worst form of deception.  Its message of comfort and camaraderie merely creates the inevitability of tragedy for his childish followers who, unlike him, are not protected by the mechanisms of wealth and fame.  His ritual refrain of "hustle and loyalty" indoctrinates the children into a brutal labor system  which will value them only as much as the level of pain their frail bodies can sustain before they collapse.  His attempts to conceal his own obvious injuries signals them to hide their own torment lest they be singled out for elimination.  John Cena is a sort of pied piper leading our most vulnerable into the sea.  But in this case the sea is a sea of the undead and of tiny plastic musclemen.  By the time they realize they have been deceived it is too late.  In short, John Cena is a most magnificent work of banal evil.  Ironically, he too will be discarded when the machinery of the blood and flesh economy have finished with him.  He will be tortured by his collaboration and haunted by the cries of betrayal and pain that ring through his mind day and night.  He disgusts me.

My vote is for Cena.

[Herzog]

• Like 7

I just got a message from an old friend breaking this down.

[Herzog]

My vote is for Cena.

[Herzog]

I was excited by the prospect of updating my sig, but I'll stick with Herzog's brilliant analysis of Show and Bryan. I'm glad he's voting with me though.

So, Lost is beating Herzog...

[Herzog]

JJ Abrams is literally a devil, a force of malevolence and a font of bile.  To watch his films is to die and go to hell and to wrestle with the devil.  You ask for guidance and he demands you to answer his riddle while he burns your skin and stabs your organs.   You look into his eyes and you see a kind of flat empty stupidity, that he is comfortable with this stupidity, that he suckles from it, and you know that there never was an answer.  Only lens flares.

Alias was pretty good, though.

[/Herzog]

• Like 1

Surprised this is so close and will be very disappointed if Cena loses here. Bray's recent stuff has been good but thought Cena for sure had the much much stronger overall year. All the matches and promos mentioned.. vs Bryan, Henry, Rollins, Sandow, and especially last month's Cesaro match. The Summerslam go home promo with Bryan was one of my favorite segments of the year as well. Hope Cena can overcome the odds here.

It's funny about the habit John Cena has of "ruining a heel's gimmick."  Everyone sees this as Cena just being a moron, or just being a shitty promo, but I've always liked it because it's a slight hint that "Superhero" John Cena is actually just a sarcastic dick. That's the secret to his character. He lets you know that deep down he's secretly Kevin Nash before he reverts back to doing shitty jokes to kids. I've always kind of thought (well, I've never really articulated it until now) that adult fans are supposed to realize that Cena is well-aware he's playing a wholesome character that he in no way resembles but is making so much goddamn money he'll wink and go along with it. That's the reason he occasionally turns into a badass, super-serious promo. If you really think about it, the "John Cena" character is one of the most-self aware wrestlers out there. Why should he be bad he lost a title/title match, he knows another one is coming? The fans give him shit? Who cares, at least they're paying money to see a show he's headlining? A scary heel is coming for him? Fuck, not the first, not the last, and, in fact, weren't you around under another gimmick a while back? So, fuck you, scary heel. It's kind of brilliant, if you think about it.

To be fair, I may be over-analyzing the Cena-character.

Anyway, my vote is Cena. And I get that this is a weird inverse of Okada/Dean but Cena is better than Okada and has more charisma and generally has more emotion in his matches.

Bray has a great entrance and I like his promos, though, as others have brought up, it's struck me recently that he isn't really saying anything. He's like a Rust Cohle drunken stream that really breaks down and has no meaning if you start to analyze it. Like, Bray really needs to start hitting the very basic spots in his promos of "Sunday, April 6, at Wrestlemania, I will defeat you in our one-on-one match and continue my plan to conquer the WWE." Speaking in riddles and rhymes is great, but a good pro-wrestling promo generally is required to specifically spell out to the fans when/where/and why you're doing what you're doing. I mean, all the shit about tearing down the machine would logically infer that they're attacking HHH anyday now but that's clearly not the point.

Bray didn't do much in the ring though he's picked it up recently. Cena had a bit of a weak year but I think the Sandow match alone just showed the difference between him and Bray. Could Bray right now, at his hottest, get that much heat/or have such a good match against a guy that's basically a comedy jobber?

John wants you all to know that he really loves that you can express yourselves that way.  Whether you love him or hate him...you are here and he respects your passion for the buissddgkhgaa f oh fuck Ihvcan't evenn finshoguo this djfjobullsihit

Next year if we have this matchup again I might vote for Wyatt. Ironically, a lot of that might be because of what John Cena does with him in the next few months. 

But not this year. He's close, but not quite there yet. 

Cena SUCKS!

What? He's winning, don't want to jinx it.

It was A, obviously the correct response to the call given, and B, a subtle nod to the fact that, with no disrespect to Wyatt intended, this thread is more than not a referendum on Cena. More people have given reasons they're voting against Cena than have posted reasons for voting for Bray Wyatt.

I really liked Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan. But other than that match and the 6 man with The Shield he really doesn't have any impressive matches. And I'm just not as big a fan as the character as a lot of people seem to be.

Cena's done an admirable job trying to keep the crowds interested in his stuff while they are busy shitting all over the booking. He's still managed to get good matches out of the Orton series that no one cared to see (I wanted to see it back before SummerSlam but they booked their feud like shit once Cena got back) and he was still producing good work when his elbow was the size of a tennis ball.

Unless his opponent is pretty kick ass (Cesaro, Bryan, Punk, etc.), Cena means me fast forwarding on my DVR.

Especially if he grabs a microphone.

Admittedly, I'm in like a "honeymoon" period with The Wyatts (it's new, exciting and totally awesome thus far) but fuck it...it's just the same Cena as always so Wyatt gets my vote.