DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 3: WYATT vs. CENA

WYATT vs. CENA  

135 members have voted

1. 1. WRESTLEMANIA PREVIEW!

Hell, I'm probably the biggest Cena mark on the board, so nobody should be surprised how I voted.

Of all the things I wouldn't want to find myself fighting over... *sigh*

What's so evil and mastermindy? It's like you guys have projected this awesome villainous guy onto one of the least devious guys ever. He kidnapped Kane and tortured him so badly that he never bothered going for revenge and came back with abs and a suit. His punishment for Daniel Bryan betraying him was to beat him in a match and forget about him. He's the worst cult leader ever.

WEL-COME BACK!

WEL-COME BACK!

You've still got it!

It isn't really Cena's fault that he's been around for so long in the same role that there's really not much he can do now that makes him stand out, whereas a guy like Bray comes along and is doing something different and fresh and cool, and wows us all. Cena may have had more good matches, but this isn't about counting good matches. It's about what has moved us in the last year. By this time next year, Bray's act may have grown stale, and we'll be slathering over the next big thing, but for now, Bray excited me more than anyone else on the roster, and that's good enough for me.

Cena will dust himself down, probably have the exact same quality of year next year, and be ready to do it all over again in March 2015.

Yeah, I don't think Cena was that good in the Daniel Bryan match. The Cesaro match was probably the only performance during the year that I actually saw him carrying his weight and then some in a match.

So you think Summerslam was Bryan carrying Cena to a great match? What about the Henry match? Or the Rollins match? Cena was very good in both of those.

I find this vote even more shocking the Okada vs Ambrose. Are we voting on who had the better year or who on 3-11-14 we think is just so cool? I'm voting on who was the better wrestler during the voting period.

• Like 1

This has been the crux of the problems with voting for years now. As objective as I try to be, subjectivity sneaks it's way in and shit turns into a popularity contest or a way to troll others on the board, in a good mannered way. However, in Jae's example, he's breaking down performance quality based on what he's seen, instead of voting on who is cooler.

• Like 1

I like Bray, but he was the fourth best guy in this six man's with the shield.

Hell, I'm probably the biggest Cena mark on the board, so nobody should be surprised how I voted.

I would say he was the sixth-best guy in those matches, and I like Bray a ton.

Bryan/Bray was the best match Bray had outside of those six mans, and it wasn't nearly as good as Cena/Henry. Cena/Cesaro was right up there with either Wyatts/Shield six man, too. Cena is just better in every way at this point, but maybe people value something different about their wrestlers than I do.

And I LOVE Bray's gimmick and think the Wyatts have the rare ability to make me feel like some bad shit is about to go down when the harmonica hits and the lantern gets lit up, but man, I just don't see the argument for voting for him here. 

• Like 1

This has been the crux of the problems with voting for years now. As objective as I try to be, subjectivity sneaks it's way in and shit turns into a popularity contest or a way to troll others on the board, in a good mannered way. However, in Jae's example, he's breaking down performance quality based on what he's seen, instead of voting on who is cooler.

Voter suppression is the last refuge of a dying regional party, Craig.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet - cena had a golf ball in his elbow at summerslam. I take the point that he wasnt the best guy in that match, but he was far from a passenger, especially under the circumstances. And it was still better than bray's best.

It's true that bray's on the upswing and cena's had a down year, but they haven't passed each other by any means.

And for those accusing Cenas moveset of being stale, lets not make believe the Cenacurrana didn't happen.

You missed my point: it's not that his moveset is stale, it's that he's typically not connected to it. The match with Cesaro, where he was very much wrestling with some intention and character motivation really puts a spotlight on the rest of his matches both in the voting period, and in the past couple of years.

And for those accusing Cenas moveset of being stale, lets not make believe the Cenacurrana didn't happen.

You missed my point: it's not that his moveset is stale, it's that he's typically not connected to it. The match with Cesaro, where he was very much wrestling with some intention and character motivation really puts a spotlight on the rest of his matches both in the voting period, and in the past couple of years.

So he has a great match, and it's a point against him because of all those other matches he had that weren't as great.

Interesting

I'm not really feeling Bray's promos.  It's a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.  His matches are starting to come together nicely.  I dig his crossbody and he's the only guy besides maybe Alex Shelley who makes the Complete Shot look any good.  Bray's highs (the Bryan SS match, the Elimination Chamber tag against the Shield) are fantastic but other than that he didn't do much for me.  Harper outshines him a lot in the ring.

Cena's hasn't had the highs that Bray's had but he's way more consistent.  I'm always impressed by how he wrestles against big guys like Brock and Henry.  Just amazing stuff.  His promos swing wildly from annoying and childish to passionate and convincing.  The Rollins and Cesaro matches are great examples of why Cena is the company ace.  He made those 2 look like world-beaters in a way that I don't think anyone else could.

In the end, I vote Cena.

• Like 1

I voted for Cena, mainly because Bray didn't do much in the ring I cared about last year, and while his best three matches this year have been outstanding, I don't know how much of that is really due to him. I think he's GOOD, but to knock off Cena I need to see evidence that you are great, and I am not convinced of that yet with Bray.  My vote was a "prove yourself to me" vote.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think Cena was that good in the Daniel Bryan match. The Cesaro match was probably the only performance during the year that I actually saw him carrying his weight and then some in a match.

So you think Summerslam was Bryan carrying Cena to a great match? What about the Henry match? Or the Rollins match? Cena was very good in both of those.

I find this vote even more shocking the Okada vs Ambrose. Are we voting on who had the better year or who on 3-11-14 we think is just so cool? I'm voting on who was the better wrestler during the voting period.

I didn't say he was carried, and I don't think Wyatt is way cooler. I don't think Cena is a terrible wrestler that needs to be carried. I just don't think he's great. Actually the best thing Cena does is react to audiences that boo him. Other than that he's not that special. His match layouts can be quite stale, especially the main events where it's fuck around for 15 minutes and then do some finisher kickouts for the last five. He seems so self-aware and tries to force "moments" into matches as opposed to letting the audience come to him. His selling and general acting(FACIALS~!) are hokey as hell. I don't think he's being carried, I think he does okay, and most of the drama is built from Mark Henry or Daniel Bryan vs. The Booking of John Cena, rather than John Cena himself.

And finally! My wife and I went to a PPV a while back, and my wife, who doesn't know much about anything thinks he was the worst dude on the show. As soon as he started on offense her face scrunched up like someone farted, and she said, "That looks terrible, what is this?"

So he has a great match, and it's a point against him because of all those other matches he had that weren't as great.

Interesting

His point is that Cena's performance in that ONE match illustrated how turdsy every performance that preceded it was. It's like night and day. He has the capability, he just does not do it all the time.

I didn't say he was carried, and I don't think Wyatt is way cooler. I don't think Cena is a terrible wrestler that needs to be carried. I just don't think he's great. Actually the best thing Cena does is react to audiences that boo him. Other than that he's not that special. His match layouts can be quite stale, especially the main events where it's fuck around for 15 minutes and then do some finisher kickouts for the last five. He seems so self-aware and tries to force "moments" into matches as opposed to letting the audience come to him. His selling and general acting(FACIALS~!) are hokey as hell. I don't think he's being carried, I think he does okay, and most of the drama is built from Mark Henry or Daniel Bryan vs. The Booking of John Cena, rather than John Cena himself.

And finally! My wife and I went to a PPV a while back, and my wife, who doesn't know much about anything thinks he was the worst dude on the show. As soon as he started on offense her face scrunched up like someone farted, and she said, "That looks terrible, what is this?"

Interesting

His point is that Cena's performance in that ONE match illustrated how turdsy every performance that preceded it was. It's like night and day. He has the capability, he just does not do it all the time.

Mercy buckets. Even Cena's match against Henry didn't seem like a 'I'm probably going to die' thing. It was still too much of a 'I am John Cena and I know in my head that I will probably AA this guy off of 8 stacked trucks at the end of this' affair. 

A lot of guys here really love small technical things like arm selling, and I do too- in fact I credit the board for really getting me to pay attention to stuff like that. But I love little stuff like the look on Cena's face after he lariated Cesaro to death- it was him realizing it wasn't Superman anymore, and it was great. It was a gift that made us question his vulnerability, and if we're asking questions, we're invested. 

Bray throws out little character gifts like that all the time, which is why I like him so much. He kicks out at one- why? What's the weird power in Bray Wyatt we don't completely understand yet? Kicking out at one is Taker level stuff. Who is this dude? 

A while back someone tweeted him about where Husky Harris went and he responded that 'Bray Wyatt needed a vessel.' It could just be a simple (and very awesome) tweet, but then during the Bryan match, he very deliberately did a Husky Harris splash spot on the outside. Does it mean they're gonna do a weird possession reveal and that Harris has the devil inside him and it's the devil Kane refers to when he says he's the devil's favorite? Of course they're not, but because he gave us that little gift during the match for a second my brain went OH SHIT WHAT DOES IT MEAN and it really added for me. 

Cena had good facial expressions in the Henry match. I wrote about this in another post, but he was showing concern that Henry was too strong to take down, which fit in with his hit-and-run tactics early, something Cena doesn't do for every match.

I'm respectfully disagreeing with the idea that Cena wrestles every match like SuperCena. To me, at least in big matches, he clearly wrestles differently based on if his opponent is stronger/bigger than him, if his opponent is a quick little dude, if his opponent is an up-and-coming wrestler who wants to knock Cena off his perch, etc. 

The next good Bray Wyatt promo I hear will be the first. It is a good gimmick, but he always sounds like a guy hamming it up in community theater. 

There was this house show promo he did before he debuted on TV. He talked about how he was looked down upon for having an accent and being southern. He was in Alabama. 

He has developed into being a good wrestler. He finally wrestles like Barry Windham's nephew.