DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 3: WYATT vs. CENA

WYATT vs. CENA  

135 members have voted

1. 1. WRESTLEMANIA PREVIEW!

So today is the day where I end up hating you all.

Peaks need to be counted, but so do valleys, and Cena had a stretch of Summerslam to the Royal Rumble where he didn't do one thing I gave a shit about. I gave a shit about Bray when he was doing nothing at all, but Cena just made me roll my eyes at a title program.

Cena gets my vote for being a top guy who:

(a) Rising to the occasion and cutting go home promos that shut up all of his naysayers.

(b) Not being against getting in the ring with an up and coming guy and making him look like a million bucks. Not just with Cesaro, but his match on Smackdown with Rollins was a classic.

Wyatt is a once in a generation promo but he still needs to show me more in the ring. The only one on one match he had that really impressed me was with Bryan. And Bryan could make Khali look like a superworker.

I love the contrast between this match and the Okada vs. Ambrose match.  They are basically the exact same guys, in the exact same positions, and Cena is winning here and Ambrose is winning their despite them being on opposite sides of the same exact argument.  I voted for Cena because he was required to be great all by himself, while Wyatt who has been great also had two guys with him helping him look great.  Cena can be annoying, his act is stale, and I can see why people are tired of him...but when it is time for Cena to get in the ring and get the job done, he gets the job done.  Bray is new, fresh, and improving in the ring every time I see him, but if you asked him to do what Cena has to do, he would fail miserably.  Cena, like Okada, should get the wins, but I wouldn't be surprised if neither actually do.

I bought one of the sheep masks this weekend just to scare a friend who fell asleep in the car.

I'll probably never buy anything featuring John Cena

What does buying Erick Rowan merchandise have to do with this?

Cena/Bryan > Wyatt/Bryan.

<p>

Voting Wyatt for the obvious reasons:

• His March to March has been much stronger
  • His 'BIG MATCHES' have been light years ahead of Cena's
  • It will be hilarious to watch FSW crank it up to 11 when Wyatt wins

Light years better than Cena/Bryan?

I bought one of the sheep masks this weekend just to scare a friend who fell asleep in the car.

I'll probably never buy anything featuring John Cena

What does buying Erick Rowan merchandise have to do with this?

Cena/Bryan > Wyatt/Bryan.

Agreed. Wyatt/Bryan was still great and The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family at Elimination Chamber is a MOTDC.

I picked Bray in the pick'em, so I won't be mad if/when he pulls ahead - I just apparently know you guys as well as I think I do -  but what is this strong "March to March" that Bray apparently had?  Did he do anything that mattered "bell-to-bell" before the Rumble?

While Cena was tearing down the house with Daniel Bryan, Wyatt was farting around a burning ring with Kane.  Then when Cena was having this apparently abominable comeback from injury, Wyatt was either not on PPV, letting his swamp monsters do actual work, or wrestling Kofi Kingston.

Out of curiosity, I would just ask people to rank the following.

-Bryan/Bray, Royal Rumble

-Shield v. Wyatts, Elimination Chamber

-Shield v. Wyatts, Chicago Raw

-Bray match of your choice

-Bray match of your choice

-Cena v. Punk, 2/25/13 Raw

-Cena v. Cesaro, 2/17/14 Raw

-Cena v. Rollins, 12/27/13 Smackdown

-Cena v. Bryan, Summerslam

-Cena v. Henry, MITB

All this Bray stuff feels like bandwagon jumping. He's great. There's a lot to like. His promos are without a doubt outstanding. But I don't recall him even having a handful of above average matches.

• Like 1

<p>

Voting Wyatt for the obvious reasons:

• His March to March has been much stronger
  • His 'BIG MATCHES' have been light years ahead of Cena's
  • It will be hilarious to watch FSW crank it up to 11 when Wyatt wins

Light years better than Cena/Bryan?

For me? Yes. I was engaged in their Summerslam match because I wanted Bryan to win the title, but I honestly think that a lot of guys could have delivered in that match at the same level Cena did. Cena werked, but at the end of the day he didn't make me care, and he didn't make me suspend my disbelief.

Both Bray and Daniel Bryan made me care. Even while he's been killing midcarders, Bray has been delivering great promos and has continued to be a presence on the show. I'm just as invested in the weird cult leader as I am in Daniel Bryan, and so I was invested in their match, which yes, I thought was better than Bryan/Cena.

At Summerslam, I got Cena wanting to 'perform for the WWE Universe better than anyone can!' as opposed to his match with Cesaro, where he honestly made me believe that he was afraid for his career and mortality and started pulling out crazy desperation lariats to win. At the Rumble, I got Bryan and Wyatt legit wanting to murder each other, and that's how they wrestled: with intention and motive. 

He's been good, and he's been entertaining. But the fact that you're in some MOTY 6-man stuff, and you're the 5th best guy in the ring, doesn't put you over Cena in the here and now.

I picked Bray in the pick'em, so I won't be mad if/when he pulls ahead - I just apparently know you guys as well as I think I do -  but what is this strong "March to March" that Bray apparently had?  Did he do anything that mattered "bell-to-bell" before the Rumble?

While Cena was tearing down the house with Daniel Bryan, Wyatt was farting around a burning ring with Kane.  Then when Cena was having this apparently abominable comeback from injury, Wyatt was either not on PPV, letting his swamp monsters do actual work, or wrestling Kofi Kingston.

Yeti convinced me.  This is my first actual vote in the tournament.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think Cena was that good in the Daniel Bryan match. The Cesaro match was probably the only performance during the year that I actually saw him carrying his weight and then some in a match. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think Cena was that good in the Daniel Bryan match. The Cesaro match was probably the only performance during the year that I actually saw him carrying his weight and then some in a match. 

This. I think the 'FIVE MOVES OF DOOM' argument has been mutated into an ugly 'this dude ain't a benoit super worker' talking point. What I think 'five moves' means is that the guy has been locked into the worst kind of 'get my shit in' instead of wrestling with intention. It's big boot/leg drop/reversal into a terrible STF because that's what's supposed to happen right now. He hits auto pilot too much, and it was there for his Bryan match.

It was especially there for his Orton match at the Rumble. Even without a crowd shitting on it, he ran into a match with a guy who had beaten his father to death and did his best to entertain THIS UNIVERSE. No thanks. 

I will go with this:

Shield v. Wyatts, EC

Shield v. Wyatts, Chicago Raw

I might have put these two above everything else because they're fresher. I will freely admit that is a weakness of mine. But man, those matches were absolutely incredible. Phil Schneider watches a ton more wrestling than I ever have and said on his blog that the first match was the best heel vs. heel match in US history and the Raw rematch wasn't far behind.  That's good enough for me.

Bryan v. Cena and Bryan v. Bray is essentially a draw for me. Man, I can't decide between those two. I guess I'm leaning towards SummerSlam since I just remembered Cena's Gazno bomb deal and the debut of the running knee was such a great shock ending. But the Sister Abigail to the ring railing thing is the best spot of the year. That's a real close call.

Cena v. Punk

Cena v. Cesaro

I don't remember Cena v. Henry well enough to vote but will hopefully watch tonight.  I also have no recollection of Cena v. Rollins and need to watch that, too.

The Shield and Wyatts match together against Random Pairing of WWE Faces was really great character stuff. "CAN I TRUST YOU?"

Bray also had a fun match against Jericho on NXT and there was a cool Wyatts six-man on NXT involving Regal, too.

But the two six-man matches are like a new high-water mark for the WWE's direction with the young guys -- playing characters as well as those guys all did made that match just that much better. Also, Harper and Rowan don't work unless Bray gets over as an evil mastermind cult leader first. He's the whole key to the feud.

What's so evil and mastermindy? It's like you guys have projected this awesome villainous guy onto one of the least devious guys ever. He kidnapped Kane and tortured him so badly that he never bothered going for revenge and came back with abs and a suit. His punishment for Daniel Bryan betraying him was to beat him in a match and forget about him. He's the worst cult leader ever.

I like Bray, but he was the fourth best guy in this six man's with the shield.

Hell, I'm probably the biggest Cena mark on the board, so nobody should be surprised how I voted.

• Like 1

I don't think we appreciate Cena enough, he does do a lot of the same things, but in general those same things work.  Bray is a good worker, and getting better all the time, but Cena is a great big match worker even if his matches are a little formulaic.  I understand people are tired of Cena, but I'd watch the best of Cena over the last year over the best of Bray Wyatt.  Cena is just better.

What's so evil and mastermindy? It's like you guys have projected this awesome villainous guy onto one of the least devious guys ever. He kidnapped Kane and tortured him so badly that he never bothered going for revenge and came back with abs and a suit. His punishment for Daniel Bryan betraying him was to beat him in a match and forget about him. He's the worst cult leader ever.

WEL-COME BACK!

WEL-COME BACK!