DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 3: WYATT vs. CENA

WYATT vs. CENA  

135 members have voted

1. 1. WRESTLEMANIA PREVIEW!

Cena had a strong year even though it might have been down from previous years. Bray has less matches but the ones he's been involved in range from solid to great with Bryan at Royal Rumble.

Brays kills cena on promos. How much does that weigh here?

Still unsure... I think this is pretty close when you factor in everything that makes a great pro wrestler...

Oh snap. Things just got real!

I love Cena but he missed a lot of time. The Henry feud was gold. The Bryan stuff was A+ and led to what we have now. But since his return, it's been a bunch of stuff I don't really care about until Bray hit him with Sister Abigail.

Bray's whole thing is my favorite stuff in a really long time. He's been in a ton of great six-man matches and was Daniel Bryan's best foil. Bryan got the best reaction of the year after joining The Family. Another great reaction was the original Shield stand-off in London. Then he had his singles match against Bryan and then The Shield six-man stuff.

Thinking about it this way... Bray had three matches in two months that were as great as anything Cena has ever done. And I'm a gigantic Cena fan, too.

This is going to be a very interesting vote. I think that Bray as of late has really turned things up a notch and now his work in the ring is getting up there with his work on the mic. The addition of the flash/running Sister Abigail has been great as well.

Cena feels like he's been coasting for most of this year and while he's been coasting, he has at times used Daniel Bryan's popularity as a way to get himself over. He's still the same old Cena in the ring, FWIW, but the most notable part about this past year for Cena, the Orton/Cena "feud," was very lackluster. I certainly don't think it comes close to touch Bray Wyatt's role in the feud with The Shield, Daniel Bryan, or anyone else.

Interesting one this. Cena had my 2013 Match of the Year against Daniel Bryan. Bray Wyatt and the Wyatt Family is one of my favourite recent gimmicks with Daniel Bryan's Yes and the Shield. Going on this year, Wyatt's in my top three WWE matches vs. Bryan at the Royal Rumble and the two Wyatt Family matches vs. The Shield. Voting for Bray. He's here!

I think Bray Wyatt has managed to do quite possibly the hardest thing in current pro wrestling: Get over a character that is gimmicked, cartoony and different. I mean, how many times have we seen guys debut with vampire/monster/weirdo gimmicks that are amazing in vignettes, but they repeatedly fail in front of a live audience? Bray has managed to keep the audience's attention with every promo, match, and video. The devotion to and investment in his character is the most we have seen since the Undertaker or Kane. 

I think if I just compared match by match who had the better in ring year, I would go with Cena, but degree of difficulty has to count for something here and what Wyatt has done since his debut has been almost impossibly hard. I legitimately do not think another wrestler on the roster could have done it. 

• Like 2

As great as the Wyatts have been for the last couple of months, they weren't too spectacular from June-October.

Cena isn't the most consistent guy either but he's had more peaks throughout the year than Bray. The Bryan, Henry, Cesaro and Rollins matches put him ahead of Brau as a singles wrestler to me.

As far as tag work goes lets not forget that Cena also had some really good six-mans teaming with Rhodes Bros, Big E, Punk etc.

• Like 1

That's something else about Bray! That dude is REALLY committed to the character. I love that. You can look at the guy and clearly see that he has put a lot of time, effort, and dare I say "love" into crafting this twisted individual who stands out more than just about anyone since the Undertaker debuted.

Ok, that may be a hyperbolic statement.

There's a few hyperbolic statements in here, all in favour of Mr. Wyatt.

I'm voting Cena. Wyatt's better on promos, but Cena's in-ring stuff is better. I'm sure he's going to lose this round, but he shouldn't.

There's a few hyperbolic statements in here, all in favour of Mr. Wyatt.

I'm voting Cena. Wyatt's better on promos, but Cena's in-ring stuff is better. I'm sure he's going to lose this round, but he shouldn't.

I wouldn't be so sure about Cena losing. It's really close. Both guys have positives and negatives that seem to equal out. It's a coin flip, I think.

I'm surprised that Wyatt is so widely considered better than Cena on promos. Cena might have had a career year promo-wise.

-The "I have to beat you Rock" promo leading up to 'Mania.

- The "heel turn" promo the night after Mania.

- The "entertainer/wrestler" Summerslam go-home show promo where he defends being an "entertainer" and really sells getting shook by Bryan. I think Meltzer called this his best promo ever.

- Promo before the unification match where he used Daniel Bryan chants to build to the Orton match in an organic way.

- Promo in Chicago where he does the same again, using CM Punk chants to build the Wyatt match.

Bray might still be better but I don't see it as an obvious truth.

• Like 1

Thinking about it this way... Bray had three matches in two months that were as great as anything Cena has ever done. And I'm a gigantic Cena fan, too.

what

Bryan/Bray and the two matches between The Wyatts and The Shield. I mean, those are three incredible matches. I like the EC six-man more than Bryan/Cena and more than Punk/Cena and those are two of my favorite matches of all-time. Cena/Umaga is on par with those. I'm trying to think of what else. Please convince me otherwise.

• Like 1

In addition to the aforementioned matches, I would include the Lesnar match, the I Quit match with JBL, the RVD match from ONS, the 2007 HBK matches, and the SS07 Orton match among Cena's career best. Beyond that, I think that working sprinty multi-man matches with multiple choreographed spots is significantly easier than working long singles matches.

what

Bryan/Bray and the two matches between The Wyatts and The Shield. I mean, those are three incredible matches. I like the EC six-man more than Bryan/Cena and more than Punk/Cena and those are two of my favorite matches of all-time. Cena/Umaga is on par with those. I'm trying to think of what else. Please convince me otherwise.

Cena /Henry and Cena/Bryan from this year were better singles matches than the Wyatt/Bryan match. If we go back, the Cena/Punk match was awesome. The Cena/Michaels match from Raw was great. I don't really have any evidence because this is all super subjective, but I think you were selling Cena a little short there. Also, as an abstract, having a year as mind bogglingly good as Cena's 2007 is way more impressive than Wyatt thus far. Cena got great matches out of Khali and Bobby Lashley and literally did not have a bad match. that is Bryan level shit right there. Wyatt has been great in tags on a team with the third best worker in the WWE while facing a team with three of the top six or seven. Cena's peak came at a time when the best workers in the company were mid carders who were kept as far away from the title as humanly possible. 

Again, I voted for Bray and I am confident that I chose correctly (for me), but I also don't think we should overvalue Bray's year at the expense of Cena. 

In addition to the aforementioned matches, I would include the Lesnar match, the I Quit match with JBL, the RVD match from ONS, the 2007 HBK matches, and the SS07 Orton match among Cena's career best. Beyond that, I think that working sprinty multi-man matches with multiple choreographed spots is significantly easier than working long singles matches.

I'd add John Cena vs. Edge vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Randy Orton from Backlash 2007, Cena vs. Orton from No Way Out 2008, Cena vs. Edge vs. Mysterio vs. Jericho vs. Kane vs. Knox at No Way Out 2009 and Cena vs. Bryan at SummerSlam 2013. Only Cena/Michaels match I liked was the long one on the 23rd of April 2007 RAW.

I may be voting for Cena just because he outright murdered Cesaro with a lariat before doing a damn Oklahoma Roll to set up the AA.  Because that was so great.

Bray's not ready.  He may be ready to beat Cena on April 6th, but he's not ready to beat him today.  Cena is unparalleled in his longevity and responsibility. It's been said here before that Hogan, Austin, nobody has had to be THE GUY for as long as John Cena has.  Whether or not that's been the right thing to do is certainly arguable. They probably should have moved Punk out from underneath the Being John Cena championship, but by all accounts that's not Cena's fault.  We talk about how Bryan is the teflon don who turns all shit into shineola, and that's true. But where Bryan turns gimmicks and booking into gold, Cena constantly has to turn live situations into gold.

Wyatt, on the other hand, is tremendously protected through pre-taped promos and the presence of the family.  I don't believe for a single second that we'd think as highly of Bray Wyatt if he worked as often as his disciples do, and against the same competition.  Or if he exclusively worked in front of the live crowd.  He's been good, and he's been entertaining. But the fact that you're in some MOTY 6-man stuff, and you're the 5th best guy in the ring, doesn't put you over Cena in the here and now.

The real crime Punk committed by walking away is forcing FSW to start harping on superior acts like The Shield and the Wyatts. He has no place to put all that energy and he's lashing out wildly.

Cena should blow Bray out of the water here. Up until the Rumble Bray doesn't have one memorable in ring outing.

The real crime Punk committed by walking away is forcing FSW to start harping on superior acts like The Shield and the Wyatts. He has no place to put all that energy and he's lashing out wildly.

Cena should blow Bray out of the water here. Up until the Rumble Bray doesn't have one memorable in ring outing.

It's not even the guys themselves it's the booking I hate. They're all so boring and pointless. When Austin came out you knew someone was getting beat up. When The Shield come out, you know there will be a Good Match. When the Wyatts come out you know there will be a Long Promo. It's all so stale and boring.