DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 2: CESARO vs. RHODES

CESARO vs. RHODES  

122 members have voted

1. 1. WOAAAAAH YOU'RE ONLY SMOKE AND MIRRORS.

I don't see a problem with his face. He's not a big guy. He's not built like Bob Holly. It takes some concentration to power the guy over, especially if they're a little heavier. Watch him do it in the Justin Gabriel match and his expression is totally different. It's the difference between a his good guy and bad guy characters. The good guy builds up confidence, the bad guy already has it.

Pretty amusing to see Mr. Athleticism Is a Crutch castigate a guy for not looking effortless in everything he does.

I like Cody a lot. Especially this year and I don't want to rag on him too much, but since I'm taking a hit, I will clarify. It's not about the execution of his moves. They actually look effortless. The body language seems sort of hollow to me. It's not really an execution issue so much as an emoting issue, which is something that matters to me a lot more, and something I think you can find a very consistent throughline in how I talk about wrestling.

I like Cody, really I do, but Cesaro is the best wrestler in the world right now.  I think Cody is one of the most underrated guys these days, he got over the mask, the mustache, the tag with his brother, but never seems to get over the hump.  They just never pull the trigger on him, and eventually run everything he does into the ground.

I've always liked Cody a lot, but really when you look at his run this past year, he wasn't really doing anything exciting before Goldust came on the scene. He almost became awesome by association at that point. So, while Cody was helped along by his tag partner, Cesaro was awesome almost despite his tag partner.

Cody had the awful stuff teaming with Sandow before the great stuff teaming with Goldust...

how dare you

With no joke or exaggeration, I preferred seeing Khali and Hornswaggle than Rhodes Scholars. Sandow is literally my least favorite guy on the roster, and Cody wasn't much better at the time.

Cody (much like Big E) has great execution but still has a lot of difficulty connecting with the crowd. I enjoyed his run with the authority where he was fighting for his job. That's about it.

And lets not sleep on the time a few weeks back when he did that insane moonsault off the top of the cage on Raw in a inconsequential match in a losing effort. That was the most indy-riffic thing I've seen on Raw in ages.  Teddy Hart was taking notes.

Go home, Matt. You're drunk.

They were talking about that movie the Purge over in the movie note. I kind of feel that's what March Madness is. I think I'm about tapped here, though. But seriously, watch those JBL/Cole show episodes from above. 

I will say that there's no one out there who's as willing to try to keep me honest as NintendoLogic. This is the third or fourth time. In a world of interchangable posters where it's hard to figure out which one is Stutsy and which one is Grimmas or topically supremebve, where it's unfortunately hard to keep track of offspring515 relative to scraylo187, I am glad that my opinions matter enough to be kept track of and that hacking at them so specifically is worth your time. It's mildly validating. 

Look at the differences in facial expression just in that match and you'll see Axel doing a whole lot better job of conveying being in a contest than you will out of Cody.  Cody only really showed any emotion once the match was over and he was circling the ring.  Meanwhile, Goldust and Curtis are emoting constantly.  I don't see this as an unfair critique of a guy unless he's playing an iceman.  I think part of Cody's issue right now is that he doesn't really have an identity right now as a face.  He's a son and a brother, but who is he really?  

I'm never going to be able to watch a Cody Rhodes match without watching for this again am I?

• Like 1