DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-10-14

MGFanJay

Was soso on the Occupy stuff. It was the wrong crowd for something like that.

Was confused about the Andre stuff. It sounded like Hogan was just describing the Royal Rumble.

It's fascinating how this Mania came together. You really need to go back to late November when the stip for the main of TLC was announced. It seemed like the initial purpose of the match was to switch the titles. Putting the Smackdown title on Orton and the Raw title on Cena. Instead they unified the titles on Orton and learned that Orton v Cena was not going to be a WM draw.

The fact that the titles were unified meant there could only be one title match at Mania and severely limited their options. Whatever option they came up with had to be a good one.

Unfortunstely WWE didnt likevtheir options. WWE had 3 over full time faces (Punk, Cena, Bryan) you could argue could be in the main event. They didn't want to go with Cena which limited their options down to Punk or Bryan. Unhappy with those options they brought in Big Dave as a super face on a rocket ship to the main event. This allegedly set off a domino effect leading to Punk walking out.

As the WWE was now left with two over full time faces there was a lot riding on Big Dave getting over. He didn't.

WWE was left with the option of slotting Bryan or Cena in the main event. Cena in the main would not be a matchup people wanted to see and would likely get a negative reaction.

So, in the most unlikely way, the guy they were afraid to give the ball to during WWEs off-peak will be the unquestionable star of Mania. Craziness. It's make me a little nervous.

How about BIG LITA in the ring for the #OccupyRaw movement????

I was more into the older black gentleman who kept snuggling up next to Bryan.

When is back was turned I thought for a second it was Teddy Long.

I noticed "Red Hat Superfan" in the Occupy group right at the beginning

I also thought that the security guys were going to turn around and unbutton their shirts to reveal Occupy shirts.

I was also waiting for some actual wrestlers to come out and join in the protest, like Kofi and Zach Ryder or whoever Sandow's opponent was supposed to be. Seemed like that would've added a bit more weight behind it.

• Like 1

I'm glad the security guards didn't do the Yes Shirt reveal. It would have gotten a nice pop but it also would have ruined the organic feel they were going for.

I saw DB getting in the title match ages ago. I got crap for that. None of us (to my knowledge) are in the writer's room. We all have to rely on "insider scoopZ" for whatever backstage gossip leaks out and so much of that seems like a giant work to move hardcore fans. But DB has owned the last hour of Raw/Smackdown for nearly the past year. They always had big plans for him from the jump.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned the NWO merchandise booths somewhere.  They should totally have HHH ban sales of Yes shirts and have a series of small ramshackle booths selling them...and like, an alternate website that looks like a Geocities site.

• Like 3

Forgot that the clocks changed in America recently so missed the first hour. But when they should a replay of Cena's usual shtick towards Bray, I was a bit annoyed. But I don't think it'll hurt Bray in the long run so fuck it, not really worth getting worked up over. Enjoyed Christian vs Sheamus, though I did think setting up the drumkit outside the ring to represent Beale Street was kind of dumb. When they advertised Memphis Street Fight I figured they were going to come out in jeans and smash fuck out of each other. Well, I got the later half at least, those kendo stick shots looked nasty. And the Yes Movement thing was surprisingly good, although I did have to turn down the volume when Stephanie started screaming because boy they were loud and piercing shrieks. And it has ended up with the conclusion that many (though not me) predicted, with Bryan vs HHH at WM and a chance to get into the title match. Which is exciting.

Finally, people still getting worked up by FSW's gimmick just blow my mind.

• Like 1

As for the political bent- I don't think it worked well, because lets face, most WWE crowds are the teabagger type

A study a few years back said that is not the case.

Wrestling fandom is left of center due to being disproportionately non-white. Socioeconomics probably makes the people who can afford to buy tickets to Raw to be whiter than the average wrestling fan.

I'd like them to push the politicized Daniel Bryan character so that it gets rabid Cena-level 50-50 crowds in some places.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but the Occupy Raw stuff was way over. It was so over that the crowd was still hot when Sheamus and Christian came out directly after. 

That match was awesome, by the way. It was the best match on a Raw that features the Rhodes Bros/Shield. 

I was also waiting for some actual wrestlers to come out and join in the protest, like Kofi and Zach Ryder or whoever Sandow's opponent was supposed to be. Seemed like that would've added a bit more weight behind it.

I look forward to Sandow being punished for not getting in the ring by having the Authority put him in a match with someone like the Big Show.

So can I be cool with the potential title match change without believing "it was the plan all along"?

They booked themselves into a corner once Batista went heel...Bryan almost HAS to win at this point.  I could see:

1) Triple H kills him with the sledgehammer and gets DQed for it.

2) Triple H wins, THEN kills him with the sledgehammer and the decision gets reversed(by Hulk?).

Either way, he's a SUPER-DEE-DUPER underdog going into the title match.

Sure, Bryan could win decisively too...again, sorry if I'll have trouble believing that until I see it.  All signs pointed to Bryan beating Cena at SummerSlam and I had trouble believing THAT would happen until the pinfall happened.  Again, the problem's probably on my end.

My guess: Bryan wins clean as a sheet, probably via knee but hopefully making him tap to the Yes Lock. Trips congratulates him... and then lays him out. Pedigree, Mr Sledgehammer, chairshots, what have you. "Good luck in the main event, little buddy!"

FF to the main event, Batisia and Orton out, no Bryan. They stink up the ring for 5-10 minutes, then "Valkyrie" hits...

On another topic, it'll be a shame if the potential A.J.-Naomi feud gets scrapped due to the freak injury and they hotshot the belt to Natalya tomorrow night.  If anyone's been quote-unquote "buried" lately, it's A.J.(barely on TV and losing when she is).

I think we're going to get Nikki vs Nattie vs AJ for Mania. 

Strangely enough, this was the least cringe-worthy I've ever found Nattie on the mic. 

Can we also talk about how great that Heyman promo was in building up the importance of The Streak? Him putting up those names and running off how none of them were able to put together a string of more than 4 wins in a row really put The Streak in a lot more perspective, especially for people who may have become fans in the last 2-3 years.

• Like 2

Why are people so surprised Cena made jokes at the Wyatts? That's what he does before shit gets real in his feuds.

Also, thought the Divas match was good. The Bellas are the only reasons divas get Raw matches and I am glad they aren't a total waste of the fivemminutes they do get. Think Nikki be the diva getting the WM moment, which doesn't happen for the divas.

I don't think the Cena stuff will do any long term damage to Bray. It's just dumb.

Cena is supposed to be scared of the Wyatt family. He's not supposed to puff out his chest and mock their gimmick.

Why be scared? What's scary about them?

Also I wondered if Heyman would bring up Edge who actually did have a decent streak at one point.

I hope Cena puffs out his chest and continues to mock people's gimmicks tbh. In a world of scared faces that stood on the ramp week after week, petrified of Stephanie McMahon, we need overconfident assholes like Cena and Sheamus to tell the kids that you can stand up to fat guys with beards or rat faced Canadians. The only person Cena should be selling fear for are freaks of nature like the Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, or the occasional savage beast like Umaga.

• Like 1

I could see Orton getting involved in the HHH-Bryan match as his response to being shoved aside for Big Dave. I could also see him walking out on the title match after HHH tells him that "all that matters is that Bryan ISN'T the champion." 

Can we also talk about how great that Heyman promo was in building up the importance of The Streak? Him putting up those names and running off how none of them were able to put together a string of more than 4 wins in a row really put The Streak in a lot more perspective, especially for people who may have become fans in the last 2-3 years.

That was my favourite thing about the show. The Streak is the biggest thing going.

• Like 1

I don't think the Cena stuff will do any long term damage to Bray. It's just dumb.

Cena is supposed to be scared of the Wyatt family. He's not supposed to puff out his chest and mock their gimmick.

Cena being scared of the Wyatts is pushing it. He's just annoyed they keep interfering in his title matches.

Cena being scared of the Wyatts is pushing it. He's just annoyed they keep interfering in his title matches.

He doesn't have to be scared, but making fun of them instead of recognizing the big fucking threat facing him is getting old. Thank god he's not facing Taker at Mania.

"The only streak I'm scared of are the brown streaks under that super shredder costume i'm john cena love me or hate me you been spending too much time with those monks backstage get it i'm suggesting you're gay with monks john cena john cena never give up"

• Like 2