DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-10-14

MGFanJay

I'd argue Rock did more to put others over than Stone Cold Steve Austin even though he would clown them on the  mic too a fault at times but that's for another topic.

I'm cool with everything else.  Oh, and Heyman deserves some props for carrying that Undertaker segment.  Referencing the streaks of other big names at Mania was a nice touch.

That was really brilliant reactive booking, especially putting Batista and Orton in a team vs. Bryan and whoever. They prolly coulda even pulled off the mass walk-out Bryan threatened, which is cool.

Yes, Mania would explode if Punk showed up at the main to save Bryan from a 2-on-1 and Bryan ended up champ, but I am about 25/75 on that one.

The Real Americans didn't get over because the crowd is full of tea party types. They got over because people will repeat ANYTHING because they love to participate. Also the big swing.

Guys go back and watch that occupy segment again. Watch how they start to show less and less of the crowd and focus on the plants around the ring. That crowd was pretty lukewarm to what should have been a red hot angle. They were sleeping during the Shield match too until the very end, so I'd say it was just a lame crowd and not an indictment of Bryan's popularity.

While I was watching the Occupy RAW stuff, I thought it was pretty cool, but have felt pretty disconnected this whole time since Bryan has kept referencing that he wants a match with HHH. That was neat and all, but EVERYBODY wants to see Bryan in the Title match at Mania, so it was a little deflating. So, when he got the match against HHH, that was where we all saw it going and it really didn't seem like that special of an angle. I didn't get any butterflies or get really excited about this supposed huge match announcement. I started to question if maybe I've gotten over those feelings when watching wrestling now; if I've become jaded to the point where these "big moments" don't affect me anymore. Then, as Steph and HHH were leaving and Bryan said "One more thing.....", I started to feel it. I wasn't sure if they were really going to do it. Then the more Bryan talked, I started to get goosebumps. Then he said he and everybody else doesn't just want him to face HHH, they want him in the Title Match. They actually finally acknowledged it, and I got that old feeling back.

I KNOW this was not their original plan. I'm positive they wanted to get the "Daniel Bryan Experiment" overwith after The SummerSlam and move on. They tried pushing him aside with the Wyatts and even had a rumored match against Sheamus at WM on the table at one point, but he wouldn't go away. They've always said they listen to the crowd and if the crowd gets behind somebody, they'll push them. That obviously has not always been true (Ziggler, Ryder) and it seemed like it wasn't going to happen again with Bryan, but Bryan's popularity just could not be ignored.

When they have old timers like Foley and Austin and Jericho harping all over the place about how they have to pay this off with Bryan, and they don't, it's discouraging. They tried stuffing what THEY want down our throats with Batista and Orton and it was heartily rejected. This was a moment where we can feel like we really did make a change in what they wanted to give us and what we really wanted. We didn't get it with Ryder (which is good, cuz I never liked that guy anyway) and we didn't get it with Ziggler, we did get a year long Punk reign but it constantly took a back seat to Cena. It seemed like no matter how hard we cheered, we just weren't going to get what we wanted again with Bryan. But it finally happened. They ARE giving the fans what they've been asking for. This is what the "YES Movement" is about.

I know this sounds really cheesy and is pretty out of place for the school of thought for a lot of you on this board because maybe you're "too cool" to fall for it, but fuck that. This was a great moment that was totally brought on by the fans demanding it. They couldn't ignore it anymore and now this under 6 foot bearded troll guy is in the Main Event at Mania. It was a pretty damn cool moment and made me feel like a true wrestling fan again.

• Like 6

As for the political bent- I don't think it worked well, because lets face, most WWE crowds are the teabagger type

A study a few years back said that is not the case.

I'd argue it's regional.   Northeastern crowds definitely not, but a Memphis crowd or a Dallas crowd yes.

I find it ironic Cena was mocking someone else's gimmick considering he spent his first few years as a cheesedick suburban rapper.

The "everybody gets a WM paycheck" battle royale sounds like fun.  I'm with the crowd that thinks Russev or Cesaro or some other up and comer will get the rub there.  Speaking of Cesaro, I really hope they give him something more substantial at Wrestlemania than the inevitable Real Americans match.

Is there a compilation of the random battle royales that would always be on the Coliseum Video tapes?  This is something that the Network really needs to have.

Ambrose mocking Kane was tremendous.  I'm wondering if there's a feud brewing there.

If there was ever a time for them to reference Benoit again on TV. It'd be now, with HHH bringing up Mania 20, and the folly of how putting your idols on such a pedestal will only end bad.

In horrible taste I know, but seems a good way of reinforcing HHH feeling justified in his views towards Daniel Bryan, and his ilk.

"Everyone knows what happened the last time I wrestled a sawed-off midget at WrestleMania.  I'm just trying to protect your family."

While I was watching the Occupy RAW stuff, I thought it was pretty cool, but have felt pretty disconnected this whole time since Bryan has kept referencing that he wants a match with HHH. That was neat and all, but EVERYBODY wants to see Bryan in the Title match at Mania, so it was a little deflating. So, when he got the match against HHH, that was where we all saw it going and it really didn't seem like that special of an angle. I didn't get any butterflies or get really excited about this supposed huge match announcement. I started to question if maybe I've gotten over those feelings when watching wrestling now; if I've become jaded to the point where these "big moments" don't affect me anymore. Then, as Steph and HHH were leaving and Bryan said "One more thing.....", I started to feel it. I wasn't sure if they were really going to do it. Then the more Bryan talked, I started to get goosebumps. Then he said he and everybody else doesn't just want him to face HHH, they want him in the Title Match. They actually finally acknowledged it, and I got that old feeling back.

To me the best part was the crowd. They were pretty much behind it all, especially when they started the Daniel Bryan chant, but when Bryan asked to be put in the main if he won and everyone realized what was going on before their eyes and pretty much against their expectations, that's when they really erupted. 

So can I be cool with the potential title match change without believing "it was the plan all along"?

They booked themselves into a corner once Batista went heel...Bryan almost HAS to win at this point.  I could see:

1) Triple H kills him with the sledgehammer and gets DQed for it.

2) Triple H wins, THEN kills him with the sledgehammer and the decision gets reversed(by Hulk?).

Either way, he's a SUPER-DEE-DUPER underdog going into the title match.

Sure, Bryan could win decisively too...again, sorry if I'll have trouble believing that until I see it.  All signs pointed to Bryan beating Cena at SummerSlam and I had trouble believing THAT would happen until the pinfall happened.  Again, the problem's probably on my end.

I find it ironic Cena was mocking someone else's gimmick considering he spent his first few years as a cheesedick suburban rapper.

Well he got mocked to hell for it too. Which is probably why I enjoy doing this stuff. He's probably the one "Top Guy" who's taken the most shit from other guys on the mic. Austin and Rock got protected to hell, but its usually open season on Cena. Everything from 'wrestling ability' to 'lol ur fans are kids' has been put on him.

• Like 1

I am really curious where they found that many plants for the #OccupyRAW segment. I mean usually the extras are all local indy workers, and you can tell they are indy workers. These guys (and girls) obviously were not. While they obviously were all prepped on what to do, some of them seemed genuinely emotional/unscripted in their reactions. 

To switch into a different gear, what kind of weirdos would vote for 2/3 falls as the stipulation in Christian vs Sheamus? As if one fall isn't bad enough.

I don't know what you're talking about they just had a great match. Whoever thought of that finish with the brogue kick through the drum is a fucking genius. It looked brutal.

When watching it this morning I think they pulled people out of the crowd and gave them a free shirt. Almost everyone climbing into the ring does not look like a worker, very awkward like it is their first time stepping between the ropes. No way they are even models.......they are all ugly!

All Bryan had to do was say "Shawn was better".

I totally expected the security guys to join in.

I love that the first suggestion that popped up on my new phone after I typed "Shawn" was "Michaels".

When watching it this morning I think they pulled people out of the crowd and gave them a free shirt. Almost everyone climbing into the ring does not look like a worker, very awkward like it is their first time stepping between the ropes. No way they are even models.......they are all ugly!

Yeah, I don't know why everybody keeps calling them "plants." I didn't look over every one - I did notice Big Lita and a few others, obviously the Overly Affectionate Old Man and I saw at least two people recording the thing on their cell phone which a plant probably wouldn't do - but from the looks of them they were just ordinary average fans.

They probably had an agent/producer stationed at a merch table before the show and had him stop fans buying/wearing that Obama-style YES! shirt to tell them what to do. Clearly security was told to look for that specific shirt and let those people jump the rail because as far as I could tell, nobody wearing a YES! YES! YES! shirt or any of his other merch got through.

I know its not exactly the same but years ago Kurt Angle won the WWE title at a ppv at the old Igloo and I remember they tried to recreate the Bob Backlund "fans rush the ring moment" by letting his friends and family swarm the ring after he won. It's not entirely unprecedented for them to do something like that although that was a helluva lot of people last night!

All Bryan had to do was say "Shawn was better".

I totally expected the security guys to join in.

I love that the first suggestion that popped up on my new phone after I typed "Shawn" was "Michaels".

Nice callback. I loved how The Undertaker taunted Triple H during the WrestleMania XXVIII build.:

Uhhhh no way in hell were those just fans they let jump the railing. Foley outed "big lita" as being one of their catering people. Probably a mix of backstage people (drivers, catering, production assistants) mixed with family and friends of Lawler and any other guys with Memphis ties.

How about BIG LITA in the ring for the #OccupyRaw movement????

I was more into the older black gentleman who kept snuggling up next to Bryan.

I'm under the impression Bryan knew him, so he probably worked in the back.  I liked when they took the reverse angle and showed the five guys hiding on the other side of the ring on the floor who were clearly in it just for the free shirt.

Uhhhh no way in hell were those just fans they let jump the railing. Foley outed "big lita" as being one of their catering people. Probably a mix of backstage people (drivers, catering, production assistants) mixed with family and friends of Lawler and any other guys with Memphis ties.

Now I'm gonna look for Doug Gilbert and Bill Dundee in that crowd.

• Like 1