DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 31: TANAHASHI vs. MASTERS

TANAHASHI vs. MASTERS  

83 members have voted

1. 1. PICK THE GOOD ONE.

I think the one element of wrestling that matters the most to me, when you really, really break it down is selling. All wrestling storytelling hinges on it. It's how moves ultimately matter. It's the most primal form of crowd interaction. Knowing how much to sell, when to sell, and when to taper off the selling and how much in order to make a comeback is the very essence of pro wrestling. 

Chris Masters is really, really good at it. He understands how it works both on top and on bottom. 

From what I've seen, I don't think Tanahashi is nearly as good at it.

It's not been a great year when it comes to body of available work for Masters. 

I'm still perfectly fine with my decision.

• Like 1

Masters best performance from last year falls outside the time period. On the other hand he did carry lance archer to the match of his life and the kris Travis match was good. The period in question probably had more tanahashi matches I liked than any other 12 month period ever, but also a lot of tanahashi matches I hated or thought were boring as piss. Not voting, mainly in solidarity with ignored indie kings vordell walker and mike Cruz.

I like Masters, but did he do anything this year besides dick around on the indies?

I love masters but he shouldn't have been in the tourney this year. He was in my top 64 on my wko ballot but given how this thing works there were a lot of guys more deserving of his spot.

I don't like Tanahashi anywhere near as much as Meltzer and his mates do but I don't hate him either. I really enjoyed one of the Okuda matches from last year. I like his silly air guitar dickery. Cool hair.  His matches can generally be boring. Masters had a decent match with Archer but nothing else really notable in ring. Hash I'm afraid.

I really like Tanahashi! He has flaws (consistency of selling, strikes), but he does the things that he does well very well (cutting a quick pace, facial expressions, being charismatic as hell). Plus, he and Okada against one another are pretty much a guaranteed good time at this point. 

I've seen quite a bit of masters live in the voting period and he is a cut above anyone else appearing in pcw with a couple of exceptions. However, the series with okada is just tits, and I'll overlook hashi's faults for highs like that. This is one of those deals where masters just hadn't had the chance of a big scale main event, but thems the breaks...

Is anyone interested in masters though? They really should be. His whole career trajectory of the huge push when he was green cos of his look, getting injured and then getting really good by the time no one in wwe gave a shit is kind of tragic

My vote for Masters is more out of being a contrarian, but Cenahashi (compliments to TJ Hawke) is something I just can't get into at all. For as much as Meltzer extols how good he is, when he went to Mexico he wasn't very good.

A worker as good as he is claimed to be should have been able to pull something serviceable out of Dragon Rojo Jr, arguably one of the worst guys in CMLL not named Thunder or Pierroth. But he didn't.

Whereas Nakamura in Mexico seemed excited, happy to be there, and worked his ass off to get Sombra over.

Last year Masters, on Twitter, was pretty happy at beating the Rock. I think this result is actually a lot more impressive than that, even if he's not going to win it. 

It also makes me wonder if our buddy J. Uso might have a real shot against the WON Air Guitar Player Of the Year.