DVDVR Message Board

Feeling Poptimistic

Gonzo

i am reaching a low point in my poptimism

i understand how drum machines work. there's that ability to hold down a pad, and it'll play that sound to the beat it's quantized to or whatever.

i can't handle modern "trap" hi-hat programing. i remember when it became all cool in southern rap, when everybody was working those hi-hat rolls, whether they be 8th or 16th notes

i don't want to hate people who rap in triplets.

everything sounds the fucking same.

SLAM is the best fucking thing

I've had an affinity for mashups going back to Girl Talk, but these are so perfect. The first one was my jam last summer and right now Tropicana Death Ensemble is my favourite song of all time. Pop needed Slayer this whole time.

• Haha 2

I never understood why Glass Tiger did so well i nthe US and Honeymoon Suite struggled to breakthrough. In the realm of Canadian imports they were much better and "Feel It Again" is catchy as hell

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Companion video

Radio Disney was playing that version a bunch a couple of weeks ago during my drive to NY

Apparently the original version was on Umbrella Academy and that is why everyone is now striking while the iron is hot

On 4/23/2019 at 9:50 AM, RIPPA said:

Companion video

Radio Disney was playing that version a bunch a couple of weeks ago during my drive to NY

Apparently the original version was on Umbrella Academy and that is why everyone is now striking while the iron is hot

Way out of touch old man here.  But...by original version do you mean the Tommy James and the Shondells version? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Not sure which video you're referring to, but the one from the South of Heaven video looks like a BC Rich Wave.

Image result for bc rich wave

That would be it. Never knew what that body style was named.

Seeing Tiffany made me look up Bill Hicks ripping her on Youtube and boy, that is some shit that wouldn't fly today for any reason haha

• 1 month later...

We are back on the new Taylor Swift train with a very very targeted message

And yes I am cynical enough to say that this was all just so she could show off that her and Katy Perry made up

We are back on the new Taylor Swift train with a very very targeted message

And yes I am cynical enough to say that this was all just so she could show off that her and Katy Perry made up

Speaking of earworms, and because I love Miley Cyrus (and Black Mirror)...

Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails, reworked into a sugary pop song (with lyrics co-written by Trent Reznor, amazingly enough).

• 1 month later...

So, ah, yeah, there's a show in this neck of the woods called Love Island in which Instagram guys and gals and social media influencers (literal job title. Whatever the fuck it is) go to an island and ITV manipulate them to have sex on TV or fight or both and it's all very scummy and, yet, it's super popular and a gazillion people watch it and every woman in my workplace discuss each episode in depth every single day. Anyway, I forget what my point is...oh yeah, they played a song by Freya Ridings on one of the episodes a couple of years back and she kinda became semi well known overnight because of it.

Below is her new song. She's pretty and it's kinda a really good pop song and her dad is the voice of Daddy Pig in Peppa Pig (yes, really) and she's pretty and, yeah, settle down and all that.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife (I say, my wife, I do, of course mean my wife and I as I unconvincingly ask if we can listen to Sabbath or some shit instead) has been listening to the shit out of Taylor's new album. It's possibly a little bloated, she could have knocked 3 or 4 of the weaker songs off it and they wouldn't be missed but, that being said, when it hits, it's fucking first class poptastic pop. I mean, has even the queen of the earworms produced anything as poppy as Paper Rings since she released Shake It Off?

• Like 1