DVDVR Message Board

Feeling Poptimistic

Gonzo

• 4 months later...

You ever heard Taylor Swift's 'Don't Blame Me'? Fucking great, isn't it?

4 months after the last post in this thread and, I don't give a shit, I'm whiter than white and completely uncool but Taylor Swift is fucking great and, yet, the point remains, that Dua Lipa's IDGAF is still the best pop song released this year bar none.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 6:42 PM, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Proceeds to be consistently super creepy about Taylor Swift...

Yeah, Reputation ain't half the album 1989 is but Delicate and New Year's Day are legit fucking great.

That being said, Dua Lipa's IDGAF is clearly the best pop song released all year.

1989 stayed in my truck CD player for months. I am not ashamed. 

I did not care as much for the new one on initial listen. (first TSwizz album I have not purchased) But later, "Delicate" really grew on me. 

On 12/24/2018 at 3:30 AM, Captain Kronos said:

1989 stayed in my truck CD player for months. I am not ashamed. 

I did not care as much for the new one on initial listen. (first TSwizz album I have not purchased) But later, "Delicate" really grew on me. 

The more I listened to Delicate, the more I realised it's kinda perfect. I mean, shit, if you're looking for perfect pop music, what's better than it?

That being said, I dig the shit out of her knowing her persona and being self referential enough to be able to take the piss out of said persona:

My wife allows me her, Jameela Jamil and Jodie Comer. It's all very creepy. Luckily, my wife doesn't read this board or she'd realise 1/3 of my posts are about Taylor fucking Swift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

You ever heard Taylor Swift's 'Don't Blame Me'? Fucking great, isn't it?

4 months after the last post in this thread and, I don't give a shit, I'm whiter than white and completely uncool but Taylor Swift is fucking great and, yet, the point remains, that Dua Lipa's IDGAF is still the best pop song released this year bar none.

I’m watching the Reputation concert on Netflix. It’s really good - better than any previous concert footage I’ve seen from her. 

She’s currently doing “All Too Well” with just her guitar. It’s one of my favorite of her songs. Maybe my favorite, and this version is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know where else this would go and Phil would probably scream bloody murder if I started another thread for it, but has a more insipid line than "Tom is a real-estate novelist who's never had time for a wife..." ever been written..." than in Billy Joel's otherwise brilliant  and vicious shewering of 1980s "cocktail culture" in "Piano Man"?  Now I've been a professional writer most of my adult life and know my brethren scribes in all manner of specialties: science fiction novelists, history novelists, mystery novelists, etc. but I've yet to come upon a creature called a "real-estate novelist", though I suppose that Shoeless Joe: A Field of Dreams could be so construed from its title. What would such an entity write about anyway? Selling swampland in Florida? Hocking portions of the Brooklyn Bridge? Anyway, always wondered about that one...

He's a guy who sells real estate for a living while nursing the same never-finished ("great American") novel for years, to the point where he self-identifies with the latter. If he just picked up some self-awareness instead, he'd take a few months to date, marry the receptionist at the real estate agency, and have her nag him into finishing the god damn book already, probably so they can get their weekends back and learn ballroom dancing.

No, it's a real estate novelist, as opposed to a fake estate novelist. He doesn't just pretend to write books about houses so people think he's cool, he actually does write them.

Realistically, he's probably attacking people who write real estate listings, for the way they outrageously exaggerate in the property descriptions (you know, all that 'large garden' meaning a blade of grass growing between two paving slabs, or 'Ocean view' meaning the Ocean is sixteen blocks away, but you can see a sliver of it between two warehouses)... saying that the listings are so false they're basically fictional, and therefore the people who write them are fiction writers. But he only had room for three syllables and novelist scanned better.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, guys, remember that time when Vanessa Carlton made A Thousand Miles? Remember when she just happened to make the greatest pop song ever made? No? Well, here's a reminder:

And that's me downplaying Taylor Swift considering Taylor Swift has made the greatest pop songs of all time...which is almost certainly an exaggeration. That being said, to suggest A Thousand Miles is the greatest pop song ever made is certainly true considering it is the greatest pop song ever made. Anyway, I'm rambling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

Why have I been sleeping on Dua Lipa all this time? ?

(er, that sounds ruder than it was meant to be)

I share that feeling. Seeing her on the Grammys with St. Vincent was eye opening for me. Instantly became a fan, awesome performance.

• 2 weeks later...