DVDVR Message Board

Feeling Poptimistic

Gonzo

Hey, power pop is still pop.  I just found out about these guys; it's one of the Hanson brothers, James Iha, the bassist from Fountains of Wayne, and fucking BUN E. CARLOS~!

Yes! The entire Tinted Windows album is excellent. Was probably my favorite album from that year.

This was my favorite track. I hope they reunite to do another one someday.

Tinted Windows are superb.My favorite pop band of the past few years is fun. They're the closest thing we've had to Queen in decades. I know that's heresy (since Queen is #1 and the best) but they've got that formula. Nate can sing his ass off, the music's produced really well, and they have all these guitar lines and the like that don't fit into the verse/chorus/verse structure that are straight out of the Brian May playbook. Obviously Nate and the guitarist aren't Freddie and Brian May (and I don't think the guitar dude is into astrophysics) but they're not a bad approximation.

• 2 weeks later...

The song is catchy. The video makes me want to punch myself in the face.

I also have a tough time believing that Victoria Justice would have a hard time getting guys to sleep with her

Please tell me everyone in this video is over 18 otherwise we might be having a larger conversation

Charli is 21.

Can't speak for the others, but I don't see anything racier in that video than, say, 15-year old Britney Spears in "Baby One More Time."

"We run thing, things don't run we" - I really like this. Unoriginal as fuck, but there's a charm to it nonetheless.

I now notice Matt D posted it in spoiler tags above, but fuck it.

I actually prefer the new one, but probably cuz it sounds like a lost power ballad from the 80s.  And it has naked Miley swinging on a wrecking ball and licking hammers that she's much to weak to actually wield so when she tries to swing it, she just struggles.

Strange.

I think Katy Perry's "Roar" is a pretty paint-by-the-numbers inspirational song.  I get why it's popular: it's filled with simple cliches and it has an easy-to-sing along with chorus.  I just find it boring.  Too boring. 

Meanwhile, I'm actually digging Miley Cyrus' new single.  The "Wrecking Ball" song is a legit hit.  She got me with that one.  "Surprise, motherfucker."

Strange.

I think Katy Perry's "Roar" is a pretty paint-by-the-numbers inspirational song.  I get why it's popular: it's filled with simple cliches and it has an easy-to-sing along with chorus.  I just find it boring.  Too boring. 

Meanwhile, I'm actually digging Miley Cyrus' new single.  The "Wrecking Ball" song is a legit hit.  She got me with that one.  "Surprise, motherfucker."

I quite like the 'big reverb on the huh!' gimmick with the Katy Perry single, and I do like the video (especially the 'oh it was just a dream.....actually no, it wasn't bit at the end) - but yeah, it's just a bit too simple and cynical for my tastes.

Wrecking Ball isn't subtle in any way, and the lead into the third chorus where she's on the edge of breaking down but still jumps into belting out the chorus feels off - Miley wasn't particularly well directed here imo. I do like the song here though, the keyboard line and the verse lyrics just about make all the histrionics work.

Strange.

I think the thing to compare Roar to is Applause, and Applause is so much more the song.

Strange.

I think the thing to compare Roar to is Applause, and Applause is so much more the song.

I liked Applause a few weeks ago, but I don't find myself listening to it much. 

The position of Rihanna is taken barb is fair enough, but 75 million views on Vevo tells you that America still loves hot white jailbait ass. Plus there's no Rihanna album this year.

Strange.

I quite like the 'big reverb on the huh!' gimmick with the Katy Perry single, and I do like the video (especially the 'oh it was just a dream.....actually no, it wasn't bit at the end) - but yeah, it's just a bit too simple and cynical for my tastes.

Katy Perry is certainly visually appealing so you won't be hearing any complaints from me about the Roar video.

Are you sure there's no Rihanna album coming out this year?  She(or should I say her record label) seem pretty gung ho about her releasing a new album almost every calendar year.

Strange.

Katy Perry is certainly visually appealing so you won't be hearing any complaints from me about the Roar video.

Are you sure there's no Rihanna album coming out this year?  She(or should I say her record label) seem pretty gung ho about her releasing a new album almost every calendar year.

Hmmmm, a deeper dig on teh internets suggests she might yet get one out. But Beyonce may yet release her album, and with Katy Perry, Gaga, Miley sticking their albums out too - I think Rihanna will sit it out unless she's got something big to offer.