DVDVR Message Board

Feeling Poptimistic

Gonzo

Everyone else gets that cuddly claptrap and I get ragged on. There's no justice.

Anyway, the fact they're from the same geographic area just makes it better. Fancy seems almost exactly like the sort of song that Royals was written about. 

I rag because I care.  :)

It's neat to compare the two because they represent social cliques so well.  Iggy is the head diva in high school, wearing the latest stilettos and driving a Mercedes convertible while Lorde is hanging out with the Interpretative Dance crowd, quoting Rimbaud and pushing a 3-speed bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't expecting it, but I've found myself digging the last couple of Little Miz tunes......

One of these days I really need to write about the night that in the span of a hour I went from never hearing Little Mix to being obsessed with them

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And the full pop transformation for Taylor is complete.

I actually like the song.  It's a definite earworm.  Some are complaining about the twerking women of color in the video, but Taylor plays it a lot smarter than Miley.  Taylor isn't setting herself up as some cool white chick worthy of a honorary black pass.  The video also shows WoC dancing in other mediums that are certainly more positive.  Taylor intergrates herself into the video and while she's the focus, she doesn't feel like she's above the others.  There's nothing tongue in cheek about it. And she spends so much time goofing on herself, and actually tries to shake her slender behind a few times, even wearing the same twerking outfit as her dancers.  It's clearly a parody.  Thing is--Taylor is going to make tons more money making fun of Miley, Gwen Stefani, and the new pop wannabes than they do combined.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSOQ7uRrC_c

The singer (and the song) may be generic Euro technopop, but pay attention to the blonde dancer immediately to Sahandra's left.  Maybe you remember, about a year ago, a Finnish break dancer who gave the nerdosphere a collective boner by performing in a dance battle as Sailor Moon.  Same lady, and she also choreographed the dance moves here.

Should you need a refresher of said Sailor Mooning:

• 3 weeks later...