DVDVR Message Board

Feeling Poptimistic

Gonzo

Also - songs in current movies

Bebe Rexha - You Can't Stop The Girl

(From Maleficent: Mistress of Evil)

Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Lana Del Rey - Don’t Call Me Angel

(From the upcoming Charlie's Angel reboot)

On 1/2/2019 at 8:28 PM, Captain Kronos said:

On 1/17/2019 at 10:13 PM, AxB said:

So, you ever feel jealousy towards a Dolphin before?

I had crushes on both of these women in my misspent Middle School and High School years.

I hate both of you for reminding me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't stop watching this. It's phenomenal. Filmed in Hong Kong. Choreography by the person who did La La Land.

@Curt McGirt you seemed like you may have been piqued by talk of city pop during the Funk business in the wrestling folder. The above is like a modern take on city pop and a god damned tremendous music video to boot. But if you're looking for staples, Plastic Love by Mariya Takeuchi is the obvious golden standard that is everybody's introduction to the genre (so many YT hits! same with the above but to a lesser extent). Her husband, Tatsuro Yamashita, is probably the best of the genre's mainstays from what I've heard (it's the only thing I've been listening to the past couple of months). Shin Tokyo Rhapsody is my favourite of his and probably my #1 overall song of city pop. Step into the Light by Toshiki Kadomatsu is one of the cooler funk-based songs of the genre I've heard. He's fantastic too overall. I think Kadomatsu and Yamashita are the best of the genre. Sports Men by Haruomi Hosono of Yellow Magic Orchestra (they are the best) is another beloved song of the genre and definitely a top 5 song of the genre from what I've heard up to this point. Shinji Harada's Love Operator is probably the catchiest dumb pop song. I can't find a YouTube version of the recording just live versions and they kind of suck. It's on Spotify though. Lots of really good funky offshoots too, like Yutaka Yokokura's Dragonfly and Ken Muramatsu's Summer Lament (STILL LIFE DONUTS). There's something for everyone within the genre and it makes for great driving music I've found, especially in the summer. Midnight Driver by Minako Yoshida is fucking money for driving and every other thing. Such a badass song.

There's definitely some elements of proto-New Jack Swing after the disco influence dies down by the mid '80s. One constant seems to be dope basslines but the genre is pretty nebulous overall. There's a focus on either desolate wet city nights with neon lights or super poppy, breezy summer day songs (Yamashita's Shin Tokyo Rhapsody is the perfect representation of this) as the two main vibes the genre strikes. People love to talk about a nostalgia for memories not their own and throw loops of '80s anime over the music on YouTube. That nostalgia sentiment may be a little goofy but when the genre pulls on so many sounds and combines them into something new, like a pastiche, it makes sense in a way. Japanese culture is pretty great at taking things from the rest of the world, putting their own spin on it, and making something new. You just don't need to see people posting those comments on every single video 100 times over, hah. But yeah, city pop was basically a representation of Japan's golden age in the '80s before the bubble burst.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Taylor Swift dropped a surprise new album called Folklore

This is the official video for cardigan

There are lyric videos for all 16 songs up on her channel

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Taylor Swift dropped a surprise new album called Folklore

It's a really good album if you listen to it at 1.5x speed. (This is not completely true. Betty is better at 1.25 speed and August actually works fine at 1x).

Edited by Matt D

Yeah, if you want Shake It Off, this is not the album for you. That being said, I think, for the most part, she pretty much knocks it out of the fucking park although the amount of songs could have been cut I guess as it feels a little bit bloated (I mean, yeah, The Last Great American Dynasty is pretty much shite). Stand outs though? The 1 and Exile. My wife loves the everliving shit out of Bon Iver anyway so I've heard Exile 428 times in the last 24 hours. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...