DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

Is Bryan Alvarez always an annoying "I'm right about everything and everyone else is wrong" d-bag, or does he have his moments? This is on the podcast mind you, I've been giving it a try the last few days, and man, he strikes me as someone who I'd never want to sit in a room and talk wrestling with.

• Like 2

If this is going to descend into "Hey, remember that guy who used to write about wrestling on the internet", then I got two words for you: Herb Kunze.

Is that the guy that used to do PPV recaps based on $ value of the matches? To see if he got his money's worth at the end. Was an interesting way to it.

Edit: actually that should be an easy question to find the answer. They use to get posted in the moderated RSPW as well. Probably only 100 posts there total in the last 10 years.

That sounds like Hackman. He is still around on twitter.

Poor Al Isaacs, nobody remembers him to even mock him.

Man I just found my tape of the Scoops sponsored super indy. Expect a review when I get around to watching it.

Scoops was my IE homepage for about a year back in 99 or so.  I really wanted to go to Break the Barrier but it happened about a week before school let out that year.  I'm curious to how you think it holds up.  It was supposedly the main impetus behind ROH's conception.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is all making Rippa and I far too sad thinking of all the wasted time in the late 90's spent at RSPW and shady wrestling sites.

I miss RSPW. Once a year or so I check it and it is the same  8 posters arguing over stuff. I bet Smoreslock misses it also. Don't you Smoreslock.

• Like 1

I find that these days there's really no one, outside of the DVDVR crew, and by extension Segunda Caida and Luchablog, who I like to read reviewing wrestling. I like the Place to be Nation, and Off the Top Rope guys in audio format, but I tried getting back into Scott Keith recently and I find his act super tiresome. Of course I say all this as a guy who probably does a piss poor job of writing about wrestling himself.

He tones it down when he's with Dave, but otherwise yeah.  I enjoy the B&V shows, but the ones with Sempervive and especially Martin, I can't listen to.

I've quite listening to the free stuff when it's not Meltzer.  It got to the point where I would play a game where when Sempervive starts talking I see how far I can fast forward before he's taken a breathe.  My record was 6:37.  The amazing thing is that in all that he's gotten nowhere from where he started. 

Another game is to see how many times in one show he says the words "And again, " and then repeats the same obvious cliche.

Unlistenable.

• Like 1

That's a shame pal. Unless you review non WWE stuff or write 6 page snark dossiers on RAW four minutes after it's over.

Well, I do review non-WWE stuff, but I steer clear of event reviews like Raws, just matches that catch my fancy to the point where I feel like spreading some love for them.

Look buddy. If I ban Waiter, I have to ban every doofus that continues to respond to him like he's serious, because they're equally disruptive. And that list is so long this place would be a ghost town. 

He's saying that because he knows PL responds and he's warning you that I get banned, he gets banned and you lose your mentor.

Look at fucking Hardcore Holly hating the player as well. YOU WERE THE LESSER HALF OF EVERY MATCH AND TEAM YOU WERE EVER A PART OF, THURMAN

Before I owned a computer, I'd go to the library now and again to try and find out about backstage stuff and scoops. and all that. 1wrestling was the only site I knew of and at least three times I killed the computer because of pop ups. Haha.

• Like 2

He tones it down when he's with Dave, but otherwise yeah.  I enjoy the B&V shows, but the ones with Sempervive and especially Martin, I can't listen to.

I've quite listening to the free stuff when it's not Meltzer.  It got to the point where I would play a game where when Sempervive starts talking I see how far I can fast forward before he's taken a breathe.  My record was 6:37.  The amazing thing is that in all that he's gotten nowhere from where he started. 

Another game is to see how many times in one show he says the words "And again, " and then repeats the same obvious cliche.

Unlistenable.

As far as Bryan goes, he's best with Dave, the interview shows, and the B&V segments where they watch 80s wrestling, because he is almost always in awe of anything that happened before 1990, mostly because he hasn't seen anything before 1990 and its all new to him.  There was a special moment on the Wednesday show where Bryan got the Von Erichs confused and thought David was Kevin.

Man how in the fuck is that guy paid to be a wrestling expert? It would be like a Film critic who has never seen Jaws or Casablanca, or a music writer who never heard the Ramones or Bach, why would anyone take anything he says seriously?

I don't think anyone does.  I'm a subscriber strictly for the Observer. If Bryan is actually good on the air, that's just a bonus. I'd have to think if you took a poll on who actually reads Figure Four Weekly, it would be less than 20% of the subscribers. 

OK, I'll bite.  What was first?

Showing up at Baseball Primer (now Baseball Think Factory) and someone going "Are you Phil Rippa from DVDVR?"

Honorable mention also goes to the horrible DVDVR wiki page

Did you kayfabe the guy?

Man how in the fuck is that guy paid to be a wrestling expert? It would be like a Film critic who has never seen Jaws or Casablanca, or a music writer who never heard the Ramones or Bach, why would anyone take anything he says seriously?

Between Bryan and Shoemaker, it's sort of odd to think that two of the most visible 'wrestling experts' around have major gaps in their knowledge. I'm not saying you have to know everything, but be able to tell the Von Erichs apart, or know that Furnas and Lafon aren't from France. I mean, just go on wikipedia for like two minutes. Would it be so hard for them to try not to look like dipshits?

Except that's exactly what Alvarez does is go on wikipedia to look up stuff on guys.  On air.  Which is almost worse.

Pretty much the moment I gave up on ever taking Bryan seriously was a B&V review of the Hogan/Andre Main Event from 1988.  You know, the most watched wrestling match in American history.  Bryan was positive the match aired on a Saturday night, and equally had no idea what Earl Hebner was doing prior to that angle.  He literally thought he was just some guy who was Dave's twin with no prior wrestling history who just happened to be brought in for the angle.  Until he checked his wikipedia page on air.  "OH!!! He was a ref for the NWA!"