DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

I think he was transcribing a UFC interview or something. The context ruins it but pissy on Twitter Dave is the most enjoyable and amusing Dave.

It is funny until he gets into "this is why most of the guys in the WWE are not over" mode when he talks about Rousey and McGregor.  

Yeah, then it goes from to funny to downright hysterical. That makes it even better.

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first WON I ever got. Notice the lack of columns, the original art, the typewriteriness of it all. Stamps were a quarter, and life was cheap in PR. 

WONbrody_zpssximkotq.jpg

Cleaning out the basement, anybody want 50+ lbs of Observers? Seriously, postage will be a bitch for the buyer but I want to let them go. PM me...

old & in the way,

RAF

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind Sempervive at all but Todd Martin is another story.  He's so condescending and has the personality of a pet rock.  I work in IT so I've had the displeasure of being around so many guys like him; massive uber-nerds whose intelligence is all they have going for them in life so they play it up to the point where they're just repulsive to be around.  An expert in everything and he'll make sure you know it.  He's the Comic Book Guy of the F4W crew.

• Like 2

I am sure someone else somewhere else on this board has posted the Deadspin wrestling article. I don't care about the specifics of that.

What I am curious about - since they claim it is going to be a sorta regular wrestling column - are the guys writing it

Tom Breihan is the senior editor at Stereogum. He's written for Pitchfork, the Village Voice, GQ, Grantland, and the Classical, and he writes the Netflix Action Movie Canon column for Deadspin's Concourse. He lives in Charlottesville, VA. He is tall, and on Twitter.

Ernest Wilkins is a writer living in Chicago. Follow him @ernestwilkins.

Should I know these two from my hideously long time around the internet and wrestling on the internet.

(I am especially curious in regards to Breihan since I always raise my eyebrows at someone from VA since I figure they had to run into SOMEONE from these parts considering how long and old the VA contingent is)

I don't know what he did earlier on. But I've written for a few of the same places as Breihan. I think he may have even edited a story or two of mine. He's a really great writer. I actually wouldn't be shocked if he had some sort of time here. He's a music snob like a lot of folks here, but in a non-snob way. He looks at wrestling from the same warped perspective a lot of us do. Really good guy.

So Bryan has said the Todd Martin show is on an indefinite hiatus. Wonder what the hell happen

Maybe he offered Bryan some constructive criticism.

It's all very confusing.

Maybe something to do with JR or Flair bringing something up Dave worte decades ago leading to an akward conversation Mania weekend. Maybe something about Todd Martin not being allowed to do his Observor retrospective segment anymore because of it. Or some beef with another contributor to the site he called a cunt...some talk of legal action. Maybe none of the above.

It's all very confusing.

I swear to God there was an Observor segment recently (either the last one or the one before it) with Todd where I believe there was a guy's debut or a significant angle, and 1986 Meltzer just completely goes in on it. Then on the very next Observer show, which would have to be the Tuesday morning one after Raw, Meltzer talks about it in a completely unrelated question from the mailbag. Either he really misremembers or has selective memory like a motherfucker because he definitely says I remember this guy was always a great worker. This caught my attention because I was expecting Alvarez to interject and say something. Obviously, nothing was said by Bryan. This dude can't even help Meltzer remember names of wrestlers or MMA fighters when he's struggling come up with them. So of course, Mr. Radio Etiquette won't tell Dave that on air.

The reason why I don't what it specifically was is:

1) I thought those segments were a spoof or a carefully crafted bit because I hadn't listen to the Todd Martin shows in awhile and no way would Dave be that crass.

and

2) I didn't think much of it really until this whole thing came up. It's a hell of a coincidence. So now I have to CSI this shit and go back to figure out who and what it was.

I've always thought there was a reason why the Observer archives on the site only go back as far as 1990.

Well, 1991 was when the Observer was "upgraded" to theway it looks now. Before that, it was still the two column type written style.

I haven't listened the last week of podcasts or so.  Man, was it me or was Dave sick for like over a month?  That must have been a nasty something.

Yeah. It's not as bad as it was when it first started, but that's faint praise.

• 1 month later...