DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

I thought I took a journalism class in college, but it was really just a fat chick from the hardcore scene disguised as an ad-hoc professor teaching us how to photoshop shit. I dropped out shortly thereafter

edit: she was married and had no interest in me, before anyone says it

Guys, if you are a writer and are annoyed at the Scott Keith thing...don't click this:

http://defamer.gawker.com/young-writer-earns-six-figures-with-erotic-one-directio-1592782576/+laceydonohue

It's not just a wrestling bubble thing.  The world has given up.

The story took off instantly, gaining more than 800 million reads, and leading to fan-generated art and playlists on Twitter and Instagram.

800 million!?!

Pretty sure Scott Keith ain't getting close to a billion anything.

Really, the most disturbing aspect of the whole deal is the author being 25.  That seems kinda old for One Direction fanfic.

Well, all that Fifty Shades shit started off as Twilight fanfic if I remember, so anything horrible is possible. That woman's worth more money than you ever want to know.

I went to school at a college here on Long Island and was a journalism major originally (2009). A lot of the journalism professors were former Newsday (the big Long Island newspaper) reporters/editors. Most of them were like, "just so you guys know, the newspaper medium is really dying and it'll be more difficult than it used to be to get a job." So I switched to being a history major and now work at a radio station.

So yeah. Journalism=dead.

More gold for all you Bryan Alvarez haters:  he was supposed to review Clash of the Champions I on a recent podcast, but he accidentally watched Clash IV, never once questioning the entire time that he might be watching the wrong show and fully accepted that Ric Flair vs. Bobby Eaton was the main event of the very first Clash.

The author of The Death of WCW apparently had no idea that the 45 minute Sting/Ric Flair match headlined The Clash of the Champions, arguably one of the biggest shows in Crockett history.

• Like 4

That's terrible. I understand that Bryan doesn't have Dave's wrestling knowledge or know about the history like a lot of posters here, but how do you not realize that Flair/Eaton wasn't the first Clash's main event?

I wasn't even a year old when that show aired and I've known forever that Sting/Flair was the big match at the first Clash and I'm certainly not a wrestling historian.

• Like 1

More gold for all you Bryan Alvarez haters:  he was supposed to review Clash of the Champions I on a recent podcast, but he accidentally watched Clash IV, never once questioning the entire time that he might be watching the wrong show and fully accepted that Ric Flair vs. Bobby Eaton was the main event of the very first Clash.

The author of The Death of WCW apparently had no idea that the 45 minute Sting/Ric Flair match headlined The Clash of the Champions, arguably one of the biggest shows in Crockett history.

I imagine Alvarez is defending his stupidity by calling everyone on the F4W boards who points out his stupidity a nerd.

I imagine Alvarez is defending his stupidity by calling everyone on the F4W boards who points out his stupidity a nerd.

Not really just he didn't write the first half of The Death of WCW RD Reynolds did. Bryan just covered the Monday Night Wars.

You lads are taking this way too seriously. He never has claimed to be a historian.

He's a paid wrestling writer who wrote a book about the death of WCW, lives in an age where he has instant WCW historical information at his fingertips, and is partners with possibly the foremost historian in the business, there's no excuse for him consistently knowing jack all abut the history to the topic he is paid to cover.

You lads are taking this way too seriously. He never has claimed to be a historian.

He's a paid wrestling writer who wrote a book about the death of WCW, lives in an age where he has instant WCW historical information at his fingertips, and is partners with possibly the foremost historian in the business, there's no excuse for him consistently knowing jack all abut the history to the topic he is paid to cover.

There's no need to do that with Dave on "staff" and his site is successful regardless.The idea he hasn't been exposed to this information before is rather crazy just his memory is notoriously horrible. 

He consistently shows a lack of understanding of even the current product he watches. I like Meltzer, always have, I greatly respect what he does both as a reporter and a historian of pro wrestling. His relationship with Alavarez has always been an albatross around his neck, damaging his credibility at every turn. Alvarez doesn't know wrestling history, he's unable to keep up with what the present day product offers, and when he did write it was rather insipid and of a very low quality.

He consistently shows a lack of understanding of even the current product he watches. I like Meltzer, always have, I greatly respect what he does both as a reporter and a historian of pro wrestling. His relationship with Alavarez has always been an albatross around his neck, damaging his credibility at every turn. Alvarez doesn't know wrestling history, he's unable to keep up with what the present day product offers, and when he did write it was rather insipid and of a very low quality.

Don't know what to tell you. Bryan only does what he wants and he has been very successful at it. 

And somehow you mistyped Flair vs. Eaton when the Clash IV main event was Horsemen vs. Midnights. Guess we all make mistakes.

• Like 1