DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

I'm coming into this a little late, and no one cares what I have to say, anyway, but here's the problem with the recent NXT callups: The gimmicks they have limit their upward mobility. Both Adam Rose and Bo Dallas SCREAM "midcarder" at best. At best. Can you realistically see either guy in a main event at a PPV? Same with Fandango a few months back. They kinda tried, but there's no way he's breaking through the goofy gimmick glass ceiling.

They need main eventers badly, especially on the face side. Adam Rose is not gonna be that guy. He's the new Zack Ryder, and you don't wanna be the new Zack Ryder. Rusev MIGHT become something better, but they're screwing that up very quickly with his goofy now-we-hate-Russia typical not-from-around-here heel bullshit. He doesn't even look Russian, or whatever he's supposed to be, he looks like a roided-up version of Taz. Edit: He's from Bulgaria - what do you know?

I dunno if any of the guys now in NXT have main-event potential, but bringing up more guys like Adam Rose and Bo Dallas is pointless - the WWE's got plenty of midcarders no one cares about, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Who do they have that's better?  "He's not main-event material" has long been a flimsy excuse to keep too many guys down.  Cactus Jack used to get that shit all the time, so did plenty of other guys who later went on to become solid draws.  It sounds like you're arguing they should give up on these folks without even trying, and that leads absolutely nowhere.  You've gotta throw something at the wall to SEE if it sticks or not.  

I'm coming into this a little late, and no one cares what I have to say, anyway, but here's the problem with the recent NXT callups: The gimmicks they have limit their upward mobility. Both Adam Rose and Bo Dallas SCREAM "midcarder" at best. At best. Can you realistically see either guy in a main event at a PPV? Same with Fandango a few months back. They kinda tried, but there's no way he's breaking through the goofy gimmick glass ceiling.

They need main eventers badly, especially on the face side. Adam Rose is not gonna be that guy. He's the new Zack Ryder, and you don't wanna be the new Zack Ryder. Rusev MIGHT become something better, but they're screwing that up very quickly with his goofy now-we-hate-Russia typical not-from-around-here heel bullshit. He doesn't even look Russian, or whatever he's supposed to be, he looks like a roided-up version of Taz. Edit: He's from Bulgaria - what do you know?

I dunno if any of the guys now in NXT have main-event potential, but bringing up more guys like Adam Rose and Bo Dallas is pointless - the WWE's got plenty of midcarders no one cares about, thank you very much.

I disagree on Bo Dallas. He's essentially working Kurt Angle's gimmick circa 1999-2000. 

But which midcarders are ready to main event? I consider the Shield guys and the Wyatts main eventers by default, almost. Bo Dallas is charisma-less working a gimmick that requires charisma, an odd charm. He's just greasy and there. It's like WWE is trying their damndest to find the next Santino instead of the next Stone Cold or Rock. Wrestling needs Santinos, don't get me wrong, but wrestling needs stars more.

Comparing Bo Dallas and Adam Rose to Cactus Jack is like comparing a purse snatcher to Jack the Ripper. Bo Dallas and Adam Rose are cartoons. Again, they're Santino or Zack Ryder 2K14, and that's a road to nowhere, especially in a WWE that needs actual, by-God stars instead of "hey, look at this goofy guy with the people in bunny suits following him around." How do you take a guy like that seriously, and how do you make a star out of someone no one takes seriously?

I've said it before and I'll say it again what they need to do with Rose is almost a pysco style. same entrance same happy go lucky horsing around with his opponent then bam after a big move he snaps and it's on no more horse play no more dancing about its wood shed time.

I dunno man if you're not watching enough to know Rusev is Bulgarian you're probably not qualified enough to comment on the other callups. I don't feel like they expect Adam Rose to ever be a main eventer. Some motherfuckers just dance and shit.

Scotty 2 Hotty was a fucking star but he wasn't a main eventer other than that one time

Plus Bo Dallas just had the single best segment of all WWE television this year on NXT this week

• Like 2

Entertaining mid-carters are a key part of a wrestling card. Not everyone can be a main event guy. Nor should everyone. You need characters who can lose and make the main event guys look good. Mid-card acts fans can invest in are supremely important in a wrestling promotion. I'd rather watch Adam Rose than Justin Gabriel or R-Truth. I'm not expecting Adam Rose to win any huge titles or anything. I just like his entrance and his gimmick and when he invariably starts putting characters over, that's great.

Bo Dallas is one of my favorite acts right now. His NXT stuff is absolutely brilliant. No one has showed ass like him since WCW Chris Jericho or even maybe Bobby Heenan. He's just absolutely ridiculous. The character has potential but even if he just settles into a generally annoying heel mode, then that's fine, too. He's way more entertaining than a bunch of other dudes who get tossed out.

Lana/Rusev has some oomph to it, just because of geopolitics and the basic heel heat and USA chants. There's nothing wrong with that, ever. It's fun. Rusev can get a good monster push for a bit, come up short against a big character, and settle into a good strongman role. Lana, however... she's obviously got an insane amount of potential. She's off-the-charts attractive and has great mannerisms as a snob princess.

• Like 1

Trying to make the next main event player has led to all these stop-start pushes for the last few years with guys like The Miz and Jack Swagger.  All of a sudden they go from main events to dicking around with Alex Riley and whatever Jack was doing post title.  Building the mid card is more important right now so they can sweep guys who are just there out of the way like Gabriel and Kofi.  Give the mid card guys big personalities and they can shuffle around much easier into ready made stuff.  Want to have Adam Rose feud with a guy?  It takes like 8 seconds to come up with a reason and you've got a story.  Arrogant heel (Miz) wasn't allowed on the bus.  Serious heel (Cesaro) doesn't like his party attitude.  He makes a move on another heel's woman (Fandango).  Boom.  Done.

Besides you already have new main event guys on deck in Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Cesaro and Barrett.  All guys who haven't been champions but could be with the vacuum at the top created by Bryan's injury.  And he was a fresh guy at the top too and would be running with the ball if he hadn't gotten hurt.

• Like 1

I didn't know or didn't really care that Rusev was actually Bulgarian. 99 percent of wrestling's Russians are from New Jersey or some such, I wouldn't have been shocked to find out the guy was from North Dakota. Doesn't matter much anyway. The more they cartoon him up with this "friend of Russia, Putin number one, must get Moose and Squirrel" B.S., the less seriously he'll be taken by Joe Casual Fan. Why can't big guys just be asskickers?

I'm not saying Dallas' gimmick isn't a winner, the guy with the gimmick's a chump. Shame Richie Steamboat seems to have vanished from wrestling, or they could repackage Taylor Rotunda as the next Jay Youngblood and team them up. Good gimmick, wrong guy. 

And why do you need more midcarders no one cares about? OK, so you replace Kofi with Adam Rose. What have we gained in exchanging one guy no one cares about for another? And you don't really need an excuse/reason to feud anyone with anyone. Here's your excuse/reason: "I don't like you, let's fight."

Claudio's gonna be a star, but they gotta get started on him soonish. They need more guys at the top, ASAP, because the Shield can't do it all by themselves. I don't want this to come off as stereotypical HHH hate, but I'd say the vast majority of typical wrestling fans would be happy to never have to look at him or Orton again, and they're the company's top two heels. And with no Bryan and Punk, there's no real top babyfaces besides Cena, and they can't possibly do anything new with him at this point besides turn him heel (and they're not gonna do that).

All of the guys in the Shield are on the verge, but none of them are at that Bryan/Punk/Cena/HHH/Orton level yet. Two of those five are gone and the other three are absoutely dead tired played out. If I were the WWE, I'd be a lot less worried about lateral trading like trying to find someone to freshen up the Kofi or Santino mIdcard first-hour-of-Raw roster spot, and more worried about creating characters people might actually wanna see at live events and buy T-shirts of and whatnot.

I'm not sure Wade was ready to main event as leader of the Nexus. Being a main eventer these days requires you to be able to work these 20+ minute epics and back then Wade was "ok" in-ring. He could always talk. Now he's a much better worker. I could have done without Cena blowing through the entire group like they were the Spirit Squad but what can you do.

• Like 1

Bo Dallas's gimmick is absolutely main event level.

His ring work is the question.

I mean doesn't Bo sort of have to suck on some level?  If he was actually 'good' people might start to respect him and we can't rightly have that can we?  He has to get by on luck and chicanery and can't just out wrestle anyone above sneaking out victories here or there.  He truly is Honky Tonk Man 2.0 and has to keep that balance of loving people who don't love him back because... well because he sucks.

The character (and specifically his work in the character) is absolutely brilliant.

And he's not bad in-ring, but he's pretty seriously average.  And I'm not convinced he can sell that chickenshit thing at the main event level.  And WWE hasn't really booked a chickenshit heel at the top since very early in Miz's reign, which they quickly went away from (which was stupid.)  Before that...  Hell, Angle's first title run?

I don't want this to come off as stereotypical HHH hate, but I'd say the vast majority of typical wrestling fans would be happy to never have to look at him or Orton again

Ah, so close, but presenting your own terrible opinion as the opinion of the "vast majority of wrestling fans" is the signature move of the stereotypical HHH hater.

• Like 2

I don't want this to come off as stereotypical HHH hate, but I'd say the vast majority of typical wrestling fans would be happy to never have to look at him or Orton again

Ah, so close, but presenting your own terrible opinion as the opinion of the "vast majority of wrestling fans" is the signature move of the stereotypical HHH hater.

Well, obviously I'm gonna disagree. It's just that HHH has been one of the focuses of the promotion for how long now? You can't stay one of the focuses of the promotion for so long without becoming stale. Cena's the same way, but a heel turn would freshen him up. Orton's the same way. They've been the focus of the promotion for too long.

And also, the "heel authority figure" thing is BEYOND played out. So he's got a double whammy working against him. He's fantastic on the mic, but you can't "unstale" him at this point.

He's got no real choice but to be in the mix right now, since they're so lacking of main eventers. Thus my rant about creating more midcarders.

I expect Orton to win the belt at MITB, too, with Roman Reigns then starting his singles push chasing the title while Orton and HHH and Seth Rollins play keep-away. 

If they're smart, they build to Reigns vs. Brock, then eventually Brock vs. Bryan, brawn vs. brains, when Bryan's healthy.

I figured depending on Bryan's health we could see Orton win the belt and Bryan win it back at Battleground then get Lesnar sicked on him for SummerSlam. Reigns is winning his first at a Wrestlemania, no doubt in my mind.

Shame Cesaro is in the title MITB, if the rumors are true and then run a second match for a briefcase with up and comers he'd have been the lock to win it. As it stands now who is a up and comer who could win a world title shot? The Shield guys are not going to be in it. Bo Dallas? Wade Barrett? No clue.