DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

Shoemaker's fine, technically, he just strikes me as a guy who has no knowledge base beyond what he's seen and grown up with. For a wrestling writer in a really high-profile position, he doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about wrestling.

There's probably 50 people here who know much more about wrestling than he does and can write as well as him, with "massaging" from a copy editor. He just got the breaks and everyone else didn't. I guess long story short is don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Shoemaker is also the worst writer on Grantland which is saying something.

I dunno, that's a pretty tall order. Molly Lambert is an awful, awful writer.

I feel bad for those Grantland writers. I mean, imagine if you got a shot at writing for an ESPN-sponsored sports blog, but only if you pepper your paragraphs with long-winded footnotes because that's the gimmick of the overrated partisan hack they built the site for.

That network interview thing saying that Shoemaker knows more about wrestling history than anyone else was either hilarious or infuriating, friending on your mood.

I understand putting your own guy over, but considering Simmons is/was an Observer subscriber and has had Dave on the BS report, it's disappointing.

That network interview thing saying that Shoemaker knows more about wrestling history than anyone else was either hilarious or infuriating, friending on your mood.

I just wish he'd be more forthcoming about the fact that he wasn't watching a ton of wrestling until he started doing "Dead Wrestler of the Week."

I think his writing is solid from a liberal arts/drama criticism perspective, but it was super frustrating listening to him mansplain to Peter Rosenberg about Mike Quackenbush's time as a lovable underdog in ECW on their Cheap Heat podcast. Like, I'd never judge him for not having watched Chikara, but he looks silly talking about it like it's his jam when he's been thinking Mike Quackenbush and Mikey Whipwreck are the same person.

Alas, his is one of a very few thoughtful, well-written wrestling columns on the web — at least that I'm aware of — so I read basically everything he writes.

How the fuck can you not tell David and Kevin Von Erich apart? One wore a cowboy hat and the other wrestled barefoot! Now if they were twins like the Mulkeys, Coles, Gemelos Diablos, then yeah, I could see why you can't tell them apart....OR....if they wore similar outfits w/ matching masks like the Killer Bees. Yeah, that too.

His whole "reality era" thing that exists solely in his mind drives me nuts.

That, too. I feel that sometimes the theory is somewhat applicable and other times he is working backward and trying to push a square peg into a round hole. I also feel it doesn't accurately take into account all the winking at the camera that was being done during the Monday Night Wars era.

I empathize with him, though. I imagine writing regularly about wrestling is hard because sometimes a given show has no deeper meaning or broader cultural statement and it is just a pro wrestling show.

I would remind everyone that Alvarez didn't know who Jesse Owens was but the last time that come up is was scary how many other people were pro-Alvarez on the topic.

How the fuck can you not tell David and Kevin Von Erich apart? One wore a cowboy hat and the other wrestled barefoot! Now if they were twins like the Mulkeys, Coles, Gemelos Diablos, then yeah, I could see why you can't tell them apart....OR....if they wore similar outfits w/ matching masks like the Killer Bees. Yeah, that too.

I'm telling you, we need to put a curfew on everyone here under 30. When I was a kid, we lurked and learned.

It's really the under 25s who are dreadful. Those of us born in the 80s are alright.

Yeah! Screw the under 25s!

(is 26)

• Like 1

I'm telling you, we need to put a curfew on everyone here under 30. When I was a kid, we lurked and learned.

It's really the under 25s who are dreadful. Those of us born in the 80s are alright.

Yeah! Screw the under 25s!

(is 26)

I remember in '97, I found a Wrestling Superstars magazine from 1985 and thought it was the holy grail. Or I'd go rent Starrcade '86 on VHS and be clueless I was missing at least 90 minutes of the full event! We didn't have wikipedia, we went out and learned it through hours of reading and watching (mostly because our friends were as clueless as we were) Alvarez talking about anything except WCW is horrendous (since I'd hope he had to do SOME research for that book) I'll get off my soapbox now, but I had to get that off my chest. I feel better now, btw I'm 28.

• Like 1

Also, I definitely took the late bus to the online message board/review party. I recall 1wrestling being awful on Netscape Navigator on school computers, and being flabbergasted that RAW was a taped show. I think the first message board I went to was CZWFans. *fashionably late to the online party*