DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 25: HARPER vs. SHIOZAKI

Harper vs. Go Shiozaki  

82 members have voted

1. 1. THE WYATTS ARE BARRED FROM RINGSIDE

I love Go, I think he has the look of an ace but Harper is just a force of nature. I was aware of Brodie Lee as the big guy in Chikara but I hadn't seen that much of his Indy work. I haven't seen a guy come in who looks this prowrestling in a long time. That far off stare he has after he destroys someone. I can't wait to see what he's doing in 5 years. Luke Harper is final four bound in my world.

Luke Harper's not just awesome, but he's also a sign of things to come. The dude is a great wrestler and also wrestlers great as a character. And he has a great character. He's one of the best products of WWE developmental -- I know he had indie/Chikara experience, but it's not like he had the tenure of any of other guys who came up from the indies -- and it shows. His wide-eyed stare, kneeling before Bray to offer a sacrifice, his creepy promos, etc. NXT really places an emphasis on that kind of work. But people might have the commitment to character that Harper has, but there aren't a lot of dudes his size who can also hit a tope like he can.

The IWC would explode if he and Cesaro had a match at some point.

I've been praising Harper for years.  Toward the end of his indie run he had this period where he was wrestling local hometown heroes, weird veterans like Tatanka and Danny Doring, and only occasionally showing up in "name" indie feds and this was probably the absolute peak of his run on the indies.  So I had a feeling he would be awesome in the WWE and sure enough pretty much every time he's been given a chance to have a great performance he has.  Not only has he been the best guy in the Wyatts v. Shield matches, and really awesome in tag matches v. the Rhodes Brothers and others, but his singles match ups have been awesome.  The Sheamus and Hero ones were both great and completely different from the Bryan match which was Bryan's best match in months.  On top of being brutally stiff, having a great look, and working nice varied offense, he's probably second to only Cesaro (maybe Rey Escorpion would be ahead of him too actually) for the title of best base in wrestling, and he's been the best dance partner for Rey on t.v. this year.  He has a good shot of being a top five guy for 2014 if things stay on pace.

Go isn't any good.  I watched his Akebono match recently and really enjoyed it for what it was, but he is another one of these Japanese workers with incredibly low impact strikes.  That would be okay if you knew how to work holds or do something else to inflict damage, but instead you get these gingerly thrown kicks and love tap forearms, meanwhile Akebono is mauling you like a bear.  Honestly there are a lot of Japanese workers not in the tourney I would take over him.  Maybe as many or more than Suwama.  And I didn't even think Japan was all that good last year  

Luke Harper is in the top 5 worker in WWE IMO. Probably

top 3 behind Bryan and Cesaro if I really had to rank them.

Also, dat boot. What a thing of beauty to see the running boot again. Ambrose sells it like a champ but Harpers timing and follow through make it so much more.

I haven't voted until now but Harper is the one I'll be jumping on with to push as far as possible!

You know what's even scarier about Harper? He's already ridiculously good, but he's getting even better somehow. WWE needs to really find a way to make all the moneys off of Harper.