DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 20: BIG SHOW vs. NEGRO CASAS

BIG SHOW vs. CASAS  

87 members have voted

1. 1. you know what to do.

So yeah, I love Big Show. I'm probably the biggest Big Show fan on the board. I think he's really good at working the crowd and is one of the best working big men of all times. I do think he had good matches in his tags with Rey, when he was against the Shield, the crazy scene vs Brock, and I do think he got amazingly over in the fall before the debacle with Orton and the dancing baby new years follow up. 

Tough draw for the big fella. 

Big Show is Big Show, but Negro Casas was arguably the best wrestler in the world in 2013. His hate-filled brawls with Rush. His technical matches with Titan, Volador Jr. His mentoring uncle role to his nephews Puma and Tiger, who are pretty good in his own right. Subtle heel work when he needs to be, and fan favorite when the crowd demands it.

His mic work is solid. In the match posted above, Negro cuts a promo making fun of Mascara Dorada for talking...very...slowly and vows to beat the shit out of him fast and quick very quickly.

He also had an awesome post-match segment in a six man tag. His team got DQ'd for fouling Atlantis. As his nephews and their opponents exchange back and forths over the house mic over three-four minutes, Negro stealthily ends up taking Atlantis' mask and putting it on himself.

Such an awesome rudo and all around legend. Vote Negro Casas.

The best thing about Big Show this year was Stephanie McMahon explaining to him how he's undoubtedly going to die soon and about how all that all he will leave behind is his failed business of owning and maintaining a strip mall.

• Like 1

This may be my lack of lucha fu showing but one thing I love about Casas this year is that when it comes to wrestlers over 50, I'm really used to them getting shoehorned into babyface roles. I really like old man Bock's last heel run and old man Mr. Wrestling II in Mid-south in 84 and not QUITE as old Wahoo in Crockett in early 85, but most of the time you get the Brusier/Crusher type old timey legends runs, which can be fine, but it's cool to see Casas as such a canny, savvy force as an out and out Rudo at his age.

I especially like what I've seen of the matches with Rush because of the visual comparison between the two. In some ways Casas looks like Rush's evil future self with the long stringy hair.

This may be my lack of lucha fu showing but one thing I love about Casas this year is that when it comes to wrestlers over 50, I'm really used to them getting shoehorned into babyface roles. I really like old man Bock's last heel run and old man Mr. Wrestling II in Mid-south in 84 and not QUITE as old Wahoo in Crockett in early 85, but most of the time you get the Brusier/Crusher type old timey legends runs, which can be fine, but it's cool to see Casas as such a canny, savvy force as an out and out Rudo at his age.

I especially like what I've seen of the matches with Rush because of the visual comparison between the two. In some ways Casas looks like Rush's evil future self with the long stringy hair.

You should watch the cibernetico from Dec. where he basically turns face at the end and takes a victory lap around the ring mid-match at Arena Mexico.

Fuck just watch all of his Dec, he was the best wrestler in the world that month at the very least

To me the trickiest thing about lucha is that I always feel I can't just watch one match but I have to watch a bunch of trios leading up to it. And that's fine since they're great but time is a tricky thing this month.

Also, I hope it gets to Tanahashi vs Casas just to see what Dylan does.

I watched quite a bit of Casas the other day. Totally awesome. I actually like watching him work guys on the mat the most, but I'm really into seeing that right now I suppose.

Show had a solid year, but I thought Casas was better in the time frame. 

Casas is really good at being very diverse.  Like he will be in there with Maximo and he comes off almost playful and then he gets in there with Rush and it is Katie bar the door chops and stuff flying all over the place and watch out here he comes!  I think his weakest point may be his finishing stretches but I haven't seen a lucha match really pull that off yet while watching this stuff.  I may not call him top 4 in my mental rankings, but he was probably the guy I like watching the most out of the lucha side and the best I guy I hadn't seen a ton of leading up to the tournament.

Big Show is good, don't get me wrong but he seemed way less consistent this year than last with less stuff I was interested in.  WWE is in a weird place with him and Mark Henry where they both seem like real life super nice guys, but I really enjoy their heel work so much more.  Sometimes the best characters aren't the real you dialed up to 11.

Screw Big Show, at this point I'm starting to believe he can actually get past Reigns (as he should, even though it probably shouldn't be for another round at least).