DVDVR Message Board

Most carry-able wrestlers

I don't think anyone in this thread knows the definition of "carry". 

There is a vast difference between a guy that can barely lace his boots being made to look like a believable and competant grappler, and a talented main event star having a good match with a less-talented star. 

Really, shouldn't this thread be about guys that got the farthest with the least amount of talent, with the fewest blatantly awful matches?  Shouldn't this be where we talk about the Lugers, Hogans, Warriors, Road Warriors, Goldbergs, etc...

Instead this thread seems to be about guys who didn't always give the same effort with different opponents. 

I think Warrior is a good call. I like Warrior. He brought energy, charisma, a ridiculously awesome body, and a character. And I can say that I enjoy a lot of Warrior matches. It's usually because one guy is doing great bumping/selling while Warrior runs around. Or they do a good job of beating his ass and selling his comebacks like the scariest shit.

I'm not a big fan of the word "carry" in general. It's real, but I think fans over use it with no real backing to their claims other than they just don't like a guy. Kofi Kingston sucks a lot, but there have been times where he's stepped up with other dudes. I don't feel like Dolph Ziggler ever carried him, I think they both just clicked together. Same with Kofi/Swagger, who had some good matches a few years back.

Everything is very structured and planned out with creative and agents now that nobody is really carrying anyone.  It's not like they're letting a Ryback type guy go out there in a Main Event without heavily planning what he needs to do.  Is he really being carried if everything is laid out for him ahead of time? 

Maybe. I'm not sure. If I put sheet music down for Beethoven's Fifth can you play it?

If Bret and Bulldog go over every detail of Summerslam but Davey forgets and Bret has to take him through the whole damn thing, is that carrying? They plotted it out before hand probably just like guys plot it out in the E today.

If Ryback goes out there and can't execute is there not room for a Daniel Bryan to make the match good?

Kofi might qualify. When put with the right guy (like Cesaro) he can do some great stuff. At other times, not a lot going on.

Past guys, what about Scott Hall?  Definitely a guy who would work up or down depending on the level of his opponent.

Maybe. I'm not sure. If I put sheet music down for Beethoven's Fifth can you play it?If Bret and Bulldog go over every detail of Summerslam but Davey forgets and Bret has to take him through the whole damn thing, is that carrying? They plotted it out before hand probably just like guys plot it out in the E today.If Ryback goes out there and can't execute is there not room for a Daniel Bryan to make the match good?

That's why I said good memory! :P 

I guess it just depends on how loose your definition of carrying is.  A lot of what people seem to be suggesting falls under the criteria of being a good or bad wrestler to me, not one who is need of carrying.  You can know what to do and still suck at it.