DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 18: AKIYAMA vs. AMBROSE

AKIYAMA vs. AMBROSE  

88 members have voted

1. 1. PIRANESI'S VOTE DOESN'T COUNT

From an awesome twitter account that everyone is sleeping on:

Lawler Joke @Sep9LawlerJoke Sep 10

Studying the aerobic energy Dean Ambrose burns to keep his brow from drooping over his eyes. @Science @AmbroseYoga

BT1W8rGCMAA2O2z.png

For comparison: Here is an image of full flexion: An astounding expenditure of energy. @FutureOfEnergy @FuckSolar

BT1YRWeCIAEQSTd.jpg

Must exploit natural cold-liquid containment system to deal with overheat issue on Ambrose Energy project. @R-22 @EPA

BT1nIeOCQAAkzA0.jpg

Initial Prototype: Clean Energy Miracle [technology is patent pending meaning pending my learning how patents work]

BT1_gZhCEAA6Tt1.png
  • Like 1

Akiyama v. KAI from the Carnival finals was a tremendous match.  Maybe the best singles match in Japan last year, certainly in the top five at worst.  But really that was the only high point for Akiyama all year.  He had some other fun performances to be sure, but also a lot of disappointing stuff that should have been better.

In a weird way I think Ambrose had a disappointing year ONLY because when he won the U.S. title I expected that he would go out and have a bunch of really good tv matches, and while he did have some bouts I really liked (especially the second t.v. match with Punk in Dec.), I thought his matches with Bryan were disappointing, and he really didn't distinguish himself as the best guy in The Shield like I thought he would.  Of course The Shield were great as a whole, and Ambrose has been awesome so far this year. And really he had a great year last year if you take it as a whole.  So I voted for Ambrose.  

Ambrose is like the anti-KENTA in this because he is a victim of our high expectations for him. Looking at things in a vacuum, he has had good singles matches, great tag matches, and is easily one of the better promos on the roster. It's getting harder and harder to keep that in mind when the perception is that he hasn't broke out the way that Reigns has and Rollins has seemingly brought just as much to the table in the six mans they've done, along with having better chemistry with Bryan. I still think Ambrose should win this easily. 

Ambrose is the truth.

That Reigns and Rollins look way better than anyone thought they would be isn't a knock against Ambrose at all. He's also been cast as the dude in The Shield who takes the falls, for the most part. Reigns is the powerhouse who they're setting up big time. He can't eat pins. Rollins has a ton of offense and has a mat general-ish gimmick, so he can't eat pins. But Dean? He's the lunatic fringe and that's his job when it's time for The Shield to lose.

The guy also has done some of my favorite WTF? little things. In one of their "LET'S GET THIS TOGETHER, BOYS!" promos, he started to do this really ridiculous dance when Rollins was acting like the team captain. His earring! Him taunting someone in a six-man by saying "You're in the baaaaaaad part of town" when throwing them in the corner. His "wipe his hands clean" thing he did after pinning Christian. His lizard tongue selling. Him complaining about the paperwork associated with open challenges to his title.

Ambrose has also been the catalyst for the impending collapse of the House Of Cards that is The Shield. He's really shined as a loose cannon that's hurting the team. His petty jealousy of Reigns' success has given all three of them individuality. He's the lunatic fringe. Reigns is the cocky jock snob star. And Rollins is stuck in the middle trying to keep it together. But that all starts with Ambrose.

That individuality and characterization is a huge reason why The Shield vs. The Wyatts stuff is absolutely golden. The main arc is whether or not The Sheild can overcome their differences to remain intact as the greatest stable in the history of the WWE, or if Bray Wyatt's ascending to the throne as he has promised, using their broken bones to do so.  Dean being a possessed freak who just wants to beat Bray's ass (with his awesome windmill punches -- that's how I'd picture some meth dude fighting) and Reigns needed the ego jerk to get his ass together makes that whole thing work.

I'm staying out of the vote. But Ambrose is far from a disappointment. He's the man.

• Like 4

I prefer Ambrose in general, Ambrose did more than his part in all those awesome six-man tags, etc. Plus the dude is the sleazebaggiest-looking guy on television every week. We need more sleazebags, fat dudes, and evil clowns (but NOT ICP-style clowns) in wrestling. 

I'm just gonna leave this here....

http://vimeo.com/85149378

I love anytime The Shield get to do out-of-ring appearances. They're legitimately funny dudes. I love the juxtaposition of the baddest dudes on the roster being on some really lame Good Morning AM local programming. I bet Dean got with the news anchor.

I'm just gonna leave this here....

http://vimeo.com/85149378

I love anytime The Shield get to do out-of-ring appearances. They're legitimately funny dudes. I love the juxtaposition of the baddest dudes on the roster being on some really lame Good Morning AM local programming. I bet Dean got with the news anchor.

Yeah this might be my favorite new Shield promo. 

Dean is in character, baby.  Note I didn't say he was "living his gimmick." 

Because that shit ain't a "gimmick."  It's a character.  There's a galaxy of difference. 

And that is the magic of Ambrose.  He's so winning this whole thing.  I can feel it.  Nothing can go wrong!

I'm a huge akiyama mark but he hasn't seemed massively motivated for a few years. Any complaint about ambrose stems from the fact that the other two shield members are also the shit, which is weird to me

Akiyama had a run a year or two back where he was crushing it as Triple Crown Champion. I still think he's one of the best heavyweight style wrestlers in Japan. 

Yeah I loved seeing him with the tc and everything and I think it meant a lot to him, but I dunno, I wasnt totally blown away by it. I'm not keen on any of his defense opponents really. I'd probably have Ambrose this year over akiyama that year, for what it's worth.

I'm thinking I might go back and have another look at that stuff though.

Akiyama for carrying Mutoh's worthless disciples to good matches. Ambrose may not have my vote but he does compensate it by having posession of my heart. His manic shtick is beautiful and I could watch him punch people forever.