DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 17: BIG E. vs. TITAN

BIG E. vs. TITAN  

79 members have voted

1. 1. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

I am realizing that Jae secretly hates me AND lucha.

It's either amazing luchadores against each other or he puts a luchadore against someone I fucking adore (Big E, Reigns, etc...) thus if someone looks at my votes it is always RIPPA HATES LUCHA JUST LIKE ME!!!!

Titan has had a great year. He's kept up his momentum from last year where against all odds did well in the Buscando Un Idolo tournament. He is so much better than Misticlon who CMLL had tried to push that it isn't even funny.

He is very smooth, takes crazy bumps that make me cringe but keeps getting up. He'll do PWG ring apron bumps, he will do suicide dives into the CMLL ringside barriers head first. He will let Terrible triple power bomb him to the floor.

If Negro Casas is saying you're the next big thing in lucha, you better believe him. Vote Titan.

I was going to vote with Phil on principle here, but he jumped on Big E with not nearly enough time soul-seeking this morning, so I'm going to watch some more Titan matches and make a call later. It's nuts to me that they dropped the 5 count stuff for Big E though.

If I'm voting for the Big E. on NXT with the five counts, he wins easy. Unfortunately he spent much of this year as a total afterthought on the main roster. TITAN gets my vote, even though he's going to get smushed like a cake in Jim Cornette's face.

• Like 1

I don't get why people have problems with the big ending. It's no worse than an ace crusher/diamond cutter, whatever, or a flapjack. It's something that can be seen from the back row, that isn't too weirdly cooperative, and that usually has a big impact. The idea is that you a>drop a guy on his face and b> totally knock the wind out of him. It'd be one thing if a crusierweight was doing it, but it's a pretty good drop from up there and he does it intensely.

It's also a good position for guys to escape from which will matter a lot more later when he starts doing WWE Main Event style matches. 

• Like 1

I absolutely love the second of the Titan v. Averno matches (12/1).  The first match I thought was a pretty good match, which is odd since the second match has a ton of the same spots, I just like the way they set things up better the second go around and the drama down the stretch was great.  Honestly it's probably one of my thirty favorite matches from 2013 AT WORST, and I almost certainly watched more wrestling from 2013 than anyone on this board.  I also liked the Casas match from this year, though it was kind of disappointing in the sense that it probably should have been better.  The Virus match from this year is the Lucha MOTY so far, BUT Titan's second fall pop up comeback was annoying as shit and easily the worst aspect of the match.  I like Titan a good bit as a whole, and for the luchadores that work that style he'd probably be near the top of the list, though definitely behind Guerrero Maya Jr at minimum.  

Big E?  Well he grew on me really fast.  He went from being a guy I was indifferent to, to being a guy I really enjoyed very quickly.  I think he really mastered the big man sprint style, he does the Vader body smash thing which is one of my favorite strong man spots in wrestling, his splash might be my single favorite spot in wrestling right, he ended up having a marquee singles match with Punk of all people last year, he's a funny guy, he's been good as the strong guy in trios this year, et.  

In a way these guys are similar to me because I think both guys are hit and miss in singles matches.  They both have super impressive spots, and spots that annoy the shit out of me (Big E.'s finisher is DOG SHIT).  Both guys can be a ton of fun in trios where they can come in and hit their big spots, but don't have to carry huge portions of the match.  

The big difference to me is that Titan has had a couple of matches that I would rate at or near MOTY level and BIg E. just hasn't.  Part of that may be circumstance and push, but for the time being that's enough for me to vote for Titan, even if I think Big E. might be slightly more consistent.  

I don't get why people have problems with the big ending. It's no worse than an ace crusher/diamond cutter, whatever, or a flapjack. It's something that can be seen from the back row, that isn't too weirdly cooperative, and that usually has a big impact. The idea is that you a>drop a guy on his face and b> totally knock the wind out of him. It'd be one thing if a crusierweight was doing it, but it's a pretty good drop from up there and he does it intensely.

It's also a good position for guys to escape from which will matter a lot more later when he starts doing WWE Main Event style matches. 

Honestly I had sort of moderated on it and started to accept it as "eh, I don't really dig it, but it's a power move for a power guy."  Then I saw it live.  It might have been the shittiest looking finisher I've ever seen in a live match.  It was so bad that I actually wanted the dude to nip up out of it, do a jig and then laugh in Big E's face.  Honestly looked like a less hurty move than a schoolboy.  

• Like 1

I was going to vote with Phil on principle here, but he jumped on Big E with not nearly enough time soul-seeking this morning, so I'm going to watch some more Titan matches and make a call later. It's nuts to me that they dropped the 5 count stuff for Big E though.

There are just some guys I am blindly voting and I don't care.

And Big E had his amazing intro during this time period so he wins for that alone.

http://youtu.be/EX6PSOrVbSU

Too bad Big E. the wrestler isn't as entertaining as Big E. the Twitterer.

I WON'T LISTEN TO YOUR LIES!!!!

BTW - in watching the clips again from the end of 2013... the WWE really really was teasing the hell out of Big E vs. Roman Reigns and then nope

Fucking WWE

I like Big E., but honestly his twitter account is the strongest argument for him in a head to head with Titan

I think this merits a different conversation at a different time but I truly believe that social media work now is just the same as promo work. 

(I am speaking in the general now) If one is going to be all "His Promos Were Amazing This Year. That Is Why I Voted For Him!!!!!" then the same standard should be applied to social media.

Regal is as much of a personality as a wrestler this year so he definitely gets points for commentating/podcast appearances/tweets. 

As for the Big Ending, I've never seen it live, but wrestling is symbolic. With moves like that (and to a lesser extent the Downward Spiral) I've always felt that it's about controlling the impact. Big E can position exactly how the guy falls and how hard and on his timing. It'd knock the wind out of someone. It may not look painful but it does look "big" and that means a thousand times more in the WWE. It has a flourish.

Ziggler was too worried about trying to be a wannabe show-off that Big E jump passed him by and was the show-off WWE  wanted all along.

That's one point in Big E's favor, in spite of my overall support for Titan. I think these two could legit have a very good match. 

I have a secret to admit...

I don't really like Big E. all that much. He's been a bit plodding. His best match was against Seth Rollins when he won the NXT title, and that was a lot of bells-and-whistles with The Shield's involvement. I loved that match but it wasn't a thing between two dudes going at it.

I thought Big E's promo work in NXT was a little awkward. He wasn't really hitting the "laid back dude who is a bit weird" vibe he was going for with me.

His stuff on the main roster hasn't clicked as well as it should. I do love the straps coming down spot. That's awesome.

The least of my problems with him is The Big Ending. I think it looks fine. If I'm going to believe a human being can get whipped off of ropes, I'll believe that can knock a dude out.

In my homework thusfar, Titan is probably my least favorite of the Luchadores. Something just isn't connecting. The end of Big E's NXT run was just awesome, and he's had some great moments- the title win was great, Mark Henry giving him an 'approving big brother' shove was cool and weird... 

As stated above, I didn't mind the big ending until I saw it live...I've soured on Langston in the past few months, but I also haven't loved Titan, soooooo.... gdhhftsjhsftbkry