DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 16 ORTON vs. KENTA

ORTON vs. KENTA  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Orton vs. His Biggest Fan

I of course liked the KENTA vs Marufuji match but it could have shaved 10 minutes. The match I really dig is the 11-27 tag. Kinda an odd thing to factor in but I also loved that one week tease that KENTA was signing with the WWE.

This is a tough match though as I think Orton is quite good. I just think he's so benefitted do much by working with a crazy amount of the worlds best wrestlers.

It makes me sort of sad that Randy Orton is in a dog fight with a wrestler who the best argument for voting his way seems to be "His matches have exceeded increasingly low expectations, and his matches against guys he has wrestled a million times aren't nearly as bad as they were a few years ago".

No it's more like I really enjoyed his big matches with Nagata, Nakajima, Morishima, and Marufuji. Dragging Shane Haste to to a decent singles match is bonus points.

• Like 1

Randy Orton had a very good match with Cody Rhodes, let's not pretend Cody has done fuck all absent his brother.

Having said that I don't like Orton at all and he's someone I don't want around.  He is constantly in a spot that I think is beyond his abilities.  BUT he had way more matches last year that I enjoyed than KENTA.  Actually I'm not sure KENTA had a single match I enjoyed 

Orton's re-push is the sole reason I stopped religiously following WWE. I'll give him credit for being somewhat carriable and not botching his stale spots but he is so dull. His control segments are awful, they don't make me wanna cheer the other guy they just bore me to death for he has accepted the awful Vince formula that states that Chinlocks equal instant good heat; he is a horrible actor and a horrendous promo guy. He also throws BAD PUNCHES and has no other meaningful quality strikes. I'm sure he's had quality training and that he's been given great advice by Arn Anderson but he just doesn't *GET* working pro wrestling. Compare Tanahashi's worked injury in the Okada KOPW match and Orton's worked injury in the Cesaro Smackdown match. Now I don't think Tanahashi is as good as Meltzer and co. think but stuff like that makes it easy to see why someone enjoys his stuff whereas I am completely convinced anyone who enjoys Orton's performances to a profound level has been terribly brainwashed.

I voted Orton as he was going along quite well this year, right up until they paired him up with Cena again, that was the moment I think most people were like "ugh, fudge this guy again".

Havent seen much of KENTA this year, but what I have seen wasnt brilliant IMO, dude looked like his mind was elsewhere a lot of the time, which is odd as the same accusation can be levelled at Orton.

Shit, I've just tied the vote 31-31. What happens if it ends like this?

Anyway I voted for Orton. He's a really weird case in that he's very reliant on his chemistry with a given guy, but I don't think that's necessarily just tied to the quality of the opponent. He is far and away Christian's best opponent, who is very good but not quite great. I can totally see why people would hate him, but then I think just looking at his body of matches speaks for itself.

KENTA peaked at least 5 years ago I think, and he's hurt now swagsuke has turned into 'KENTA with charisma'.

Rippa voted for Kenta, I want to know why.

Because I hate Randy Orton and his stupid face.

There are so many of you now on my list

That's as good a reason as I need to vote for Kenta. But is the Nagata match Jae posted enough to suggest it should be Nagata in March Madness instead?

This strikes me as a 5/12 NCAA matchup in that the 12 seed is hitting all their threes while Orton is trying to run down the clock with chinlocks.

• Like 3

This strikes me as a 5/12 NCAA matchup in that the 12 seed is hitting all their threes while Orton is trying to run down the clock with chinlocks.

There are not enough ways for my to express how much I love this.

Like I want to disappoint these words with my punishing love

DON'T YOU SEE!!!!

RANDY ORTON IS FUCKING DUKE!!!

A WHOLE LOTTA OF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND JUSTIFY VOTING FOR FUCKING DUKE!!!

• Like 1

Rippa voted for Kenta, I want to know why.

Because I hate Randy Orton and his stupid face.

There are so many of you now on my list

That's as good a reason as I need to vote for Kenta. But is the Nagata match Jae posted enough to suggest it should be Nagata in March Madness instead?

Really-really-really loose chinlocks.  Where Randy lovingly holds their heads and strokes their hair and tells them everything will be just fine.  

Tied it at 39 for Orton. Thought Orton continued his streak of having good to great matches year round pretty well. I'm one of the few that loved his face run and 2011 might be my all time favorite year of his. He's continued to have lots of great matches since the heel turn and had some real good ones before it too. Lots of good stuff with Bryan, Cesaro, the Shield, Christian, RVD, and the Rhodes among others plus the Big Show match at Extreme Rules last year.

It makes me sort of sad that Randy Orton is in a dog fight with a wrestler who the best argument for voting his way seems to be "His matches have exceeded increasingly low expectations, and his matches against guys he has wrestled a million times aren't nearly as bad as they were a few years ago".

No it's more like I really enjoyed his big matches with Nagata, Nakajima, Morishima, and Marufuji. Dragging Shane Haste to to a decent singles match is bonus points.

And the Jonah Rock match, that guy has looked like shit almost every other match I've seen him in.

Orton is one of the Kings of Rest Holds to me. He's just as responsible for MOVEZ AND FLIPZ and dudes killing themselves doing spots as the movers and flippers are, because he equated mat wrestling with his headlock naps and made it boring. 

The thing is, he's regressed on that front. Look at his matches from like 2007. He was still doing tons of chinlocks, but he was really working them. It looked like he was trying to tear his opponent's head off. What happened?