DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 16 ORTON vs. KENTA

ORTON vs. KENTA  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Orton vs. His Biggest Fan

Orton bores me to tears, seriously.  My desire to watch his matches depend solely on the Opponent, and even then, Bryan's the only person who's gotten anything watchable out of him in almost two years.  

Orton bores me to tears, seriously.  My desire to watch his matches depend solely on the Opponent, and even then, Bryan's the only person who's gotten anything watchable out of him in almost two years.  

And even most of the matches against Bryan were completely forgettable except one or two.

Are there any other KENTA matches to look out for? I'm not in the mood for Mohammed Yone.

Orton had a really strong month or two right before the Bryan feud started.  He was one of the better Cesaro opponents and probably made Big E look better than anyone else has so far.  I think that Bryan/Orton Raw match from last month is being slept on pretty much everywhere.

I feel like Orton had an underrated year that looks bad in hindsight because of his title run.

This is a killer week for me work wise. I wanted to see if anyone posted the Orton rant from the Cleveland (I think) Raw where he was yelling at the fans during the commercial break about how the weather was making him stuck there.

I think people are forgetting about Orton's run leading up to MitB, where he was really good and motivated. It was actually such a marked improvement that I could see Orton's detractors using at as an argument against him because his level of not giving a shit right before then was so obvious. I also find it sort of charming that Orton is the one wrestler who can't keep his cool when the fans are shitting on him during a match. 

A masochistic part of me wants to see a match between these two in which they are both equally unmotivated. It would be so unreal lazy. 

I don't like either of these guys. Ugh.

Orton, I guess? He's done something enjoyable this year. I'm sure he's had a good match with at least a couple people. He spazzes out in the ring sometimes and that's entertaining.

This matchup kinda sucks. 

There are probably something like ten really good to great Orton vs Bryan matches. They had something like three before Summerslam even happened. The Orton vs the Chamber (Cena, Sheamus, Christian, Cesaro, Bryan) series was universally good. It's hard to say that Orton didn't have a very good year even if people are sick of him.

Randy Orton's knocking on the door of JBL in 2004 with his year. People hate him right now- but a few years from now everyone is going to look at this year of Orton and realize that he's been putting on a clinic of "how to be a great heel".

I agree with this.

I am really really really amused that Chris Hero was getting dinged because HE ONLY HAD GOOD MATCHES AGAINST GREAT WRESTLERS!!!

Yet - RANDY ORTON!!! SUPER WORKER!!!! because ya know, every person he wrestled sucked

• Like 1

I am really really really amused that Chris Hero was getting dinged because HE ONLY HAD GOOD MATCHES AGAINST GREAT WRESTLERS!!!

Yet - RANDY ORTON!!! SUPER WORKER!!!! because ya know, every person he wrestled sucked

Aww, come on, Phil.  You know you love it as much as I do when Orton snuggles a man's head lovingly and caresses him into submission with the velvet headlock.

WHY CAN'T YOU ADMIT YOU LOVE RANDY ORTON?!?!?!?!?!

Orton's been great as a heel this year. He's played the petulant brat so well. I loved him in the pod at EC lounging back like such an entitled douche. And him running INTO the pod and closing it was awesome. Him doing things like pretending he's a DJ at a club have been so weird and enjoyable. Also, let's hope he stiffed The Miz a bit in front of his family.

I can get why Orton can get boring. He was maybe my least favorite guy on the roster before his heel turn. His stuff was so boring.

Sitting this vote out until I see more of KENTA, which I doubt I'll be able to do. But Orton had a good year and really turned up the heeling.

I think KENTA's GHC title run is somewhat underrated. I really liked the Nagata match and the preceding tag. Call me crazy but I like the Nakajima match. The matches with guys like Haste and Nichols weren't great but they exceeded my low expectations.

Orton had plenty of good matches but the ones I'd point to are with guys bound for the final 4. Orton had sooooooo much more to work with.

I think KENTA's GHC title run is somewhat underrated. I really liked the Nagata match and the preceding tag. Call me crazy but I like the Nakajima match. The matches with guys like Haste and Nichols weren't great but they exceeded my low expectations.

His match with Marufuji was the best they've had in a while. It wasn't super-contrived and full of overkill. KENTA actually worked a gameplan, trying to murderize Marufuji's chest, and Marufuji actually tried to sell it. It's worth checking out. 

And I really dug the Morishima match from this year, because I love Morishima and KENTA gets blasted a few times.

Orton is one of the Kings of Rest Holds to me. He's just as responsible for MOVEZ AND FLIPZ and dudes killing themselves doing spots as the movers and flippers are, because he equated mat wrestling with his headlock naps and made it boring. 

It makes me sort of sad that Randy Orton is in a dog fight with a wrestler who the best argument for voting his way seems to be "His matches have exceeded increasingly low expectations, and his matches against guys he has wrestled a million times aren't nearly as bad as they were a few years ago".