DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 13 SHEAMUS vs. ZAYN

GINGER STYLE BATTL GO!  

95 members have voted

1. 1. BROGUE vs. OLE!

This pairing is a great carryover from the Sheamus stuff in the Raw thread. This is exactly what I'm talking about in what I like and don't like in professional wrestling.

Sheamus is a very good worker in the ring. His matches are all uniformly solid and hurt-y looking. The dude has taken some really nasty bumps. In terms of that aspect of the game, he's very good. He's great, even. But he doesn't feel organic as a performer. For instance, that rope forearm clubbing thing he does is a really bad crowd pandering spot. It's the same with his mic work -- he's trying his best to come off like this salt-of-the-earth Irish brawler who just likes a pint of a dark beer and a fight. But he can't do it. He just doesn't sound or feel natural in the "interacting with the crowd" and "becoming a character in a performance" part of the game. It's forced.

But Sami Zayn? That guy is the opposite of Sheamus in the interacting/character part of things. The dude comes off as the most likable guy on television without really trying. He's just himself, and it works. I mean, he legitimately acts and looks like people I'm friends with. And the guy is also an absolutely fantastic worker. His best matches beat anything Sheamus had this year, too.

Sami rules.

• Like 3

1. Strike down any and all quantity arguments in an attempt to push Brock Lesnar to the finals!!!!! 

2. Spite vote for Punk because he was screwed last year. *Changed to spite vote against Jae*

3. Spite vote against Bryan because you goofs let him win in a down year and now there is just no chance he will ever lose.

4. Spite vote against Henry for some reason.  I can't remember why, but I had a really solid reason to say this a year ago.

5.  Say FELLA a bunch.

FELLLAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Tough draw for Sheamus. I would've voted for him over a lot of wrestlers that have already advanced. His matches with Cesaro were just as good as the Zayn/Cesaro matches but they flew under the radar for most people. The Luke Harper match was a top 5 NXT match as well.

I have spent the week agreeing with FSW about Sheamus, which should sau something about how much I think of him as a wrestler, but there is no argument I can see for voting for him over Zayn, aside from the fact when people write "Sami" I usually get confused/excited and think there is an awesome Solomon Crowe v. Antonio Cesaro match floating around. 

Sheamusito vs Giant Zayn. 

I think this is sort of a non-match up due to Sheamus' time off, to be honest. If he had worked a full year, it would be a lot more interesting. I am very impressed with Sami's improvement and I very much love his role as "the one sane man" in NXT. I think Sheamus is better than a lot of people here, apparently, and I thought he should have gone at least a little further last year, but he just doesn't have the CV this year to match up against a guy who has been one of the real highlights of the wrestling scene.

This is one of those cases where I just don't enjoy Sheamus. I don't hate him or anything and I find him competent in the ring. I think his matches are technically fine, but I can't think of a series I'm wowed by with him in it or matches of his that I'd ever go back and watch. His ECW series with Goldust still might be my favorite thing he's ever done.

I enjoy Zayn, especially the way he eats big-time offense, and will easily vote him over Sheamus.

Sheamus' time off shouldn't be much of a factor when he's against an NXT guy. 6 months on the main roster equals about as much output as a whole year in NXT. ArRival was the first time Zayn wrestled on tape in 2014. They can be compared fairly IMO.

I have no idea who to vote for.

Voted for Sheamus even though I knew he'd be squashed.

Zayn had a great series with Cesaro, but I actually liked the Cesaro v. Sheamus series just as much, and thought there best match was better.  

Sheamus had really good matches with Wade Barrett and Luke Harper as well, and his insane bumping in that MITB match was easily the best part of the match.

I like Zayn a good bit more than I liked Generico, but I don't think his body of worker over the twelve month is as impressive.  

• Like 1

Seamus' best moment of last year was exchanging badass looking uppercuts at every opportunity with Cesaro in the Rumble and Chamber and Raw.

Sami's best moments of last year came doing much cooler stuff with Cesaro on NXT.

I voted Zayn but I'll use this time to say I think he's a little overrated at this point. I'm shocked he's been able to move from the mask to an actual likable face but sometimes his execution still looks kind of indy. I would say his ceiling is IC title/guy in a chamber match who won't win and his floor is half of a tag team.

No way Zayn should get by Harper down the road...

I would say his ceiling is IC title/guy in a chamber match who won't win and his floor is half of a tag team.

So he's Curt Hennig/Ricky Steamboat?

Man. I remember when I was a kid, the IC title was all any of us ever cared about. This would have been the nicest thing you could have said about someone.

• Like 1

I voted Zayn but I'll use this time to say I think he's a little overrated at this point. I'm shocked he's been able to move from the mask to an actual likable face but sometimes his execution still looks kind of indy. I would say his ceiling is IC title/guy in a chamber match who won't win and his floor is half of a tag team.

No way Zayn should get by Harper down the road...

Yeah, but when he got signed I figured his ceiling was "hang around development for a while before getting cut", not because he is bad but purely because I found it hard to see him without a mask, plus he's a small dude. But I'm happy to be wrong, he's been great to watch at times.