DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 12 Reigns vs. La Sombra

ROMAN vs. SOMBRA  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a guy.

I'll have to check out Sombra: Miracle Worker against that piece of shit Dragon Rojo.

Sombra won the biggest mask of his career and had a brief run as New Japan IC Champion this year. Reigns, while he does his three moves well and oozes charisma, still isn't at the level where he can carry a match on his own. Much like Bray Wyatt, his tag partners cover up his very obvious flaws as a singles dude.

I'd say that Roman does just about everything well. We had a discussion on here awhile back about working for the cheap seats and how Cena is the master of that. I'd say Daniel Bryan is in that conversation as well, but Roman is getting to that point. Any time that dude is in the ring, I am captivated.

What I saw of La Sombra made him seem like a good wrestler! However, Reigns has been in about eight or ten great trios matches plus that awesome Rumble performance, so I'm going with him. 

Roman, much like Bray, is one of the first guys in ages that makes me sit the hell up and pay attention. D-Bry doesn't even do that all the time, though it probably has more to do with being a spoiled kid that knows he's going to get amazing daniel bryan stuff so he doesn't appreciate it' syndrome. 

I don't hate Sombra, though he's not really my favorite kind of Lucha worker.  I honestly don't recall a single match or performance out of him in the last twelve months that I thought was better than pretty good, though I recognize that some people absolutely loved the Volador Jr. match.  Honestly there are (literally) 64 luchadores I like better than him in the relevant period.

Meanwhile Reigns is probably one of my three or four favorite guys in wrestling, a guy who's natural charisma can carry him even when he gets a bit lost on offense, a guy who made the spear not look shitty again, a guy who mastered the art of the slugfest an exceeded all of our expectations for him, a guy who made the crowd go "oh shit, here we go!" when he stepped into the ring with....Titus O'neil.  So yeah, Reigns wins this for me easy.  

I've watched all of three Sombra matches (so I am clearly the foremost expert in La Sombra) and in every one he did a 'missed lionsault into a backflip splash' pin for one of the first two falls.  It was like 'Why do people trying to keep powerbombing Kidman?' all over again.