DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 11 Neville vs. Terrible

Neville vs. Terrible  

79 members have voted

1. 1. This'll take some thought.

For a half a second I was like "Wait - is there a guy in the UK doing a Neville Longbottom gimmick?" because that would be fucking amazing.

He could come out to a Harry and the Potters song. It would be the best gimmick ever. 

My lucha fan in me wants to pick Terrible. He had a random six man tag on a Tuesday Arena Mexico show where he did a triple powerbomb spot on Titan with the first two in the ring, then he picks him up and powerbombs him to the floor. That was one of the cooler things I have seen this year.

Neville has had a good year too, but I was left a little disappointed in the NXT Ladder match. I understand safety first, and yes I did mark out when he won. His match with Corey Graves was rather dull, but that may have been Graves' fault. 

I voted for Terrible more for a general lucha support vote because of the boning some of the other lucha guys are getting (La Sombra getting feed to Roman Reigns, the fact that Park and Blue Panther are against each other).

I like both guys just fine and I appreciate what both of them bring to the table. I don't love either guy but I don't actively dislike either guy.

I also admit that if I was more current on my NXT... it probably would be harder for me to vote against Neville.

And if it truly was a dude doing a Neville Longbottom gimmick than Katie Bar The Fucking Door

I'm not a big Neville fan. I kind of like him as the NXT gatekeeper in that management thinks "why should we hire Davey Richards when we have Neville." He's got some flashy stuff. His selling can be technically good. He just doesn't connect with me well though. 

I've been enjoying watching Neville improve on NXT this year. I think his promos are getting better as he gets more comfortable with what he's doing. He's not grinding level ups like Roman, but he's getting there. 

I will admit that Terrible is like the one guy I didn't do homework on. 

I feel like I prefer Terrible even though I've only seen a handful of his matches from this year. Neville does some cool stuff, but there's something missing. Like, when Zayn or even Dallas does something noticeable on the same show, it's for a reason or it fits into what has happened in past matches. With Neville, it seems to be just for the sake of doing something cool. 

However, I've become spoiled because most of the wrestlers in WWE and NXT understand how to do callbacks and how to reward viewers for watching a series of matches between them, and I don't get that sense from Neville yet. He does really awesome flippy stuff, however. 

Neville is also kinda bland. Can't say that about Terrible, who has hilarious facial expressions and is great at being a douche during his control spots from matches that I've seen. 

I really think Neville has come into his own as the Lance Russel of NXT where he plays the strait man to Bo Dallas and Tyler Breeze shenanigans.  For a flippy guy, I don't feel like he does a million of them so it feels more important.  He's also decent at power and striking stuff as shown on his powerbomb on Tyler a week or so ago and the head kicking he did to Zayn up above.  I feel like he is putting the pieces together and it way better about making people care more about him than just them caring about the red arrow (which was the case when he first started).

Terrible strikes me as trying to follow the Rush template of luchadore stuff (I have no idea who came first) but he's not as compelling a figure to me.  The Shocker match above was kind of poop and using the Styles Clash and almost hurting a guy didn't make a good impression.  I'm just not seeing anything here that makes me think he's any better than say, Bobby Roode?

Neville is perfectly fine as your 250-300 best wrestler in the world. I enjoy him for what he is.

Terrible is in the top forty.  Very underrated wrestler.  To say he follows the Rush template is not really right because he and Rush have had a feud built around developing that template.  Rush isn't Rush without Terrible (and vice versa).  Terrible was awesome in a bunch of trios matches this year, including being the star of some that included Rush and other theoretically better workers.  His sweeping out of left field punch is one of my favorite contempt filled spots in wrestling.  I hope he pulls this one out.  

• Like 1

I like Terrible a lot, he has a look that I like and can go.  His stuff this year has been very solid.

Neville is JACKED these days and some of his flippy moves are insane, but his NXT stuff leaves me a bit underwhelmed and he aint that great on the microphone.  Still work in progress IMO.

Neville is perfectly fine as your 250-300 best wrestler in the world. I enjoy him for what he is.

Terrible is in the top forty.  Very underrated wrestler.  To say he follows the Rush template is not really right because he and Rush have had a feud built around developing that template.  Rush isn't Rush without Terrible (and vice versa).  Terrible was awesome in a bunch of trios matches this year, including being the star of some that included Rush and other theoretically better workers.  His sweeping out of left field punch is one of my favorite contempt filled spots in wrestling.  I hope he pulls this one out.  

I meant it as Terrible kind of works like Rush but I couldn't tell you who pioneered it or anything of that nature.