DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Not having to go into to work till Noon and schools being closed because of wind is weird.

I mean I totally understand why they are doing it but it is still weird

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Not having to go into to work till Noon and schools being closed because of wind is weird.

I mean I totally understand why they are doing it but it is still weird

My boo just drove all the way from Odenton to Ft. Belvoir only for the gate guard to tell he that the post was closed.

Yesterday's rain softened the ground just enough for today's crazy winds to push trees over into the street.   Lots of power outages in upper central Virginia (Stafford county, Spotsylvania county, Caroline county).

Andrews AFB is also closed for obvious reasons.

Mason ended up closing for the day

It is more - as Mark mentioned - due to power being out all over the place and lot of secondary roads are now blocked due to down trees (at least here in VA)

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's windy as fuck here in (don't go back to) Rockville but closing schools is a bit much.

You say that until the wind blows a bus over when it's crossing a bridge and then we'll all be WHY IN THE FUCK DIDN'T THEY THINK ABOUT THE KIDS~? :) 

My daughter's afternoon soccer game in Richmond got cancelled for good reason since the wind had sent branches into utility lines and lots of localities are experiencing power outages here in the 804. 

There are some reports of traffic lights being out as well.  The drive from Richmond back to Odenton tonight for the weekend is going to be stressful.. um... interesting.

• Like 1

Yeah, driving the Beltway this morning, when I couldn't be arsed to check my work email first, was a fun experience. Tree branches were just flying into the road and exploding in front of me. And then I get to work and it says, "NIH is closed, you're not supposed to be here!" Hey, fuck, great. May as well get a bunch of crap done anyway. #postdocblues

• Like 1

I may have to grit my teeth and take I-95 back to the 410 tonight. 

The alternate route is taking 301 North through Caroline County towards Bowie, MD and between all of the debris in the road that is sure to be there thanks to the trees on either side of the throughfare and the Wind Advisory for the Gov. Harry W Nice Memorial Bridge, 301 will probably be a death trap by rush hour.

The wind is not fucking around here at Ft. Lee either.  Part of aluminum siding near the roof of ALU has been shorn off by the wind and is just dangling on the side of the building. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'd have taken a picture, but then I would be an involuntary guest of Ft. Leavenworth and my phone would be the evidence in my espionage trial.

Ha. We again got the warning of "no pictures behind the gate, even wildlife" memo this week.

Just a mess up here. Bridges still closed. Now massive delay at the dam because it's the only open route.

And we lost power a little while ago. 

And it appears to be sleeting. 

My typical commute to work is 18-22 minutes and it requires no interstates. For those that know Philly, I work in Ardmore and live in Roxborough.

I knew we were going to have a big storm but no idea it was this insanity! My boss sent out a note at 2 pm and told us all to leave. I looked out the window for the first time in a few hours and had no idea there was snow. 

I usually take some backroads on the way home. But the hills in my part of the city are notoriously awful in bad weather. I figured I was better off going on the major roads rather than getting stuck on some steep hill. 

It took me two hours to get out of the suburbs and into the general area of where I live in the city. By that point, I had to go to the bathroom to an absurd degree. All of the ramps to get to the road in my direction were completely stopped. I was approaching an emergency situation so I went in the opposite direction to a Dunkin' Donuts for some relief. I thought I'd be fine since in nice weather this would be the furthest limits of walking distance from my house. (But not with a steady 45 MPH wind filled with a combination of rain AND snow.) 

Nope. The road I needed to get on was done. Nothing moving at all. After about 20 minutes in the DD parking lot, I decided to try and wind my way through some other streets. Finally, after 2 more hours, I made it home. 

2 pm dismissal. 6:15 arrival. Truly insane. The news reports on our traffic station were crazy. A big tree fell on I-76 (which runs in my part of the city) and landed on a commuter bus. A tree crushed a car on a major artery 10 minutes from here, which shut that down. A tree took out multiple traffic lights at a huge intersection about a mile away from me. It was just insanity here. 

A lot of people in my FB neighborhood group said they parked a mile or two away at whatever parking lot they could find and just walked home. 

They apparently finally opened the Route 40 bridge to both sides of traffic. It does not help one org tweets out "closed" and another says "open."

I just hope traffic is manageable when I leave work in 5 hours but I doubt it.

Very tempted to just get a hotel room and sleep until work tonight 

My daughter's first JV soccer game is today and it is fucking freezing this morning.  I can't imagine that it will be great soccer weather for teen girls to run around in this afternoon.

We've had a couple of high wind warnings, which always been to be on the days that we want to do yardwork. Which basically just means the temperature is in the sixties or seventies, but with some strong wind. We much prefer it to winter storm warnings, lake effect snow warnings, flash flood warnings, etc. The problem with being satellite employees is that we get harrassed about working extra hours, because of all the call outs in the office due to the weather.

Snow never materialized here in central PA. Forecasts went from a dusting to 12” back to *maybe* 3” in the last 24 hours. Guess it ended up moving more east than they thought. 

Be safe out there, y’all, regardless of the weather.

Nothing better than thunder and lightning during a blizzard. 

*update

This weather is scaring the shit out of me now. It’s subsided, but for the past 90 mins I’ve heard and seen nothing but my neighborhood’s trees snapping. A bunch of my branches snapped off, and to be quite honest, I’m in need of some serious sleep and I’m petrified as to what hopefully does not happen. 

Spent the first hour home after working digging my way into my driveway and house, only to find pretty much every tree along the perimeter of our backyard has fallen. My wife was sent home at 3:00, but first she got stuck in a ditch and just now got into a fender blender, so I don't know when I'll see her. Lights just started flickering. 

Think I'm just going to lay down for a minute.

I hope everyone is doing okay. 

The weekend weather is going to suck in the Mid-Atlantic.  If Hampton makes it to the finals of the MEAC Tournament and I am not able to travel to Norfolk to go to the game, I am going to be pissed off.