DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Got our power back on tonight. And while we didn't have any downed trees on our property this time, the neighbor across the street had a huge pine tree come down directly in front of their house, probably missing their upstairs balcony by inches.

• 3 weeks later...

I am now on shift here at Ft. Lee.  Everything is starting to ice over.  Thank God we're all considered Essential during an exercise, so our relief will have to drag their asses in at Midnight.

Not looking forward to driving home tonight when the temperature bottoms out.

I had to work night shift a couple years ago when the Hurricane hit, Luckily, they closed post and sent us home at 2000.

---

Left Wilmington after eating lunch and watching Everton v Arsenal at 12:00.

Got home at 17:30. normally a 40 minute drive.

Had to turn around after an hour to get gas.

Then moved less a half-mile in 2 hours.

Then turned around again and finally the traffic started moving.

Should have just stayed home, with a drive to NYC monday afternoon.

---

Schools here are closed tomorrow. I await seeing if post opens late or not.

I am not at all enchanted with the six inches or so of snow we have screwing things up here. These people don't know how to drive under best of conditions, let alone in snow and ice. Everyone with a truck thinks they're one of those ice-road truckers from the Discovery channel. My best buddy's brother-in-law was found frozen to death behind a Wendy's on Friday morning. Why these people don't wait until they get home to start drinking is a mystery to me. I've done plenty of drinking in my younger days and it would never occur to me to sit down on a bench in a snowstorm and crack a bottle of vodka. I didn't have much self-control, but I could at least wait till I got home.  Guy was just 51 years old, way too young to die from stupid shit like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Experienced my first "frost quakes" last night.  I didn't know there was such a thing, but...

These occur when extreme cold temperatures freeze water deep in the soil. As it freezes, it expands, sometimes causing enough built up pressure that the ground cracks, occasionally with enough force to cause a loud "boom" sound.

Felt the house shaking once, and there was definitely a loud boom one other time.

Right now it's -23C, -32 with the wind.

St. Louis area is supposed to get a ton of snow dumped on us over the weekend(they said MINIMUM of six inches and maybe twelve), then it gets really cold with Monday's high forecast to be in the single digits.  Lovely.

New York right now is 12F with a wind chill of -5.  We have 6" of snow on the ground,   

It is not a good time to be here. 

What he said. Too freaking cold to really enjoy the snow... though we got the day off from work and I'll go out at some point to take photos and whatnot.

While the snow making the roads abysmal gives me a work from home day which I get to spend with my kids driving my wife and I up a wall...

The snow is nice and powdery, but my back and shoulder don't appreciate it.

10 more years and I can make the boy shovel so I don't have to anymore.

Last night, work was delayed 2 hours today.

This morning, delayed 4 hours.

Half hour before opening, work closed.

Thankfully, i had only cleared off my car and not yet left. Normally, i would already been on the road.

Many people unhappy.