DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

My neighbor's tree was zapped by lightning this morning, snapping me out of my miserable drunken snooze. I'm glad it wasn't my problem, no way I could pay for that. They're okay though. It smashed their backyard missing the house. 

A bizarre day here. It was hot as hell (my ac is dead) for some weird reason. Added onto that storm earlier. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's 7:15 and I've had zero sleep... Why, you may well ask? Simple, I live in the fucking high desert and we had not one, not two, but three separate but equally ferocious spring thunderstorms pass through starting at 2AM. What's the difference between a thunderstorm in the high desert and one anywhere else? Here the mother fucking lightning hits the ground, as it did last night in the alley just behind our house. Oh, did I mention the next burst shorted out the transformer powering this whole side of town? Did I mention the two inches of snow that we got as a bonus? This is the middle of fucking May, not mid-winter!!! There should not be white shit piled up in the backyard nor should my roof appear to be white. Oh, did I mention that two of the kittens (age five months) had this as their first experience with thunder, so of course one of them was so scared she pissed all over the bed, so add the fun of changing bedding in total darkness. Fuck this weather, a week ago the cats were chasing lizards, now there's fucking snow on the ground.

Weather's been nutty in Snohomish County - we've had two instances of very thin bands of heavy storms hitting Marysville and Lake Stevens.  A local farm was pretty much wiped out by the resulting flooding - the fields are soaked and destroyed their entire hay harvest, which was supposed to come in next month and was their main source of income.  It even knocked out Comcast twice, and Comcast is usually dead-on reliable in the area.

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Weather's been nutty in Snohomish County - we've had two instances of very thin bands of heavy storms hitting Marysville and Lake Stevens.  A local farm was pretty much wiped out by the resulting flooding - the fields are soaked and destroyed their entire hay harvest, which was supposed to come in next month and was their main source of income.  It even knocked out Comcast twice, and Comcast is usually dead-on reliable in the area.

Flooding has been here in the Okanagan for a week, and now all of Kelowna is on evacuation notice: potentially facing the worst flooding in 200 years, they say. While the house I live in is basically the highest point in my area (last week the flooding came everywhere but my block), I'm in the fucking basement. Kept the girls home from school so we could prep the place in case of evacuation...and now we wait.

24 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Flooding has been here in the Okanagan for a week, and now all of Kelowna is on evacuation notice: potentially facing the worst flooding in 200 years, they say. While the house I live in is basically the highest point in my area (last week the flooding came everywhere but my block), I'm in the fucking basement. Kept the girls home from school so we could prep the place in case of evacuation...and now we wait.

This is northeast-centric, but this map popped up on my social media feed and it's not exactly reassuring.  (I realize it says 2012.)

Spoiler

mapa_USA-MapCut_1C.jpg

On 5/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, OSJ said:

Well, it's 7:15 and I've had zero sleep... Why, you may well ask? Simple, I live in the fucking high desert and we had not one, not two, but three separate but equally ferocious spring thunderstorms pass through starting at 2AM. What's the difference between a thunderstorm in the high desert and one anywhere else? Here the mother fucking lightning hits the ground, as it did last night in the alley just behind our house. Oh, did I mention the next burst shorted out the transformer powering this whole side of town? Did I mention the two inches of snow that we got as a bonus? This is the middle of fucking May, not mid-winter!!! There should not be white shit piled up in the backyard nor should my roof appear to be white. Oh, did I mention that two of the kittens (age five months) had this as their first experience with thunder, so of course one of them was so scared she pissed all over the bed, so add the fun of changing bedding in total darkness. Fuck this weather, a week ago the cats were chasing lizards, now there's fucking snow on the ground.

On the bright side, you may be able to see how this is a lateral move at worst for the lizards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

On the bright side, you may be able to see how this is a lateral move at worst for the lizards.

Well, were I a skink, I think that being chased by a cat might be a tad better, at least there's the possibility of out-maneuvering the cat, cold weather is a bit harder to run from. Of course, as should be obvious when it comes to skinks, blue-tailed, blue-tongued or just boring old gray/green, I'd rather see one than be one. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was a nice, humid 101 degrees when I left work today. 

As someone who has never lived in a house with AC, fuck this weather. It's currently 87.5 in my bedroom. Blah. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The heat is here in the Seattle area, which isn't bad, except when you're on newly-opened wetland and the sun bounces right off the water into your house on the sunset side.  Ugh.

It actually makes me happy to be going down to California for a week - at least I know what it'll be there and I'll have air conditioning in the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Monsoon (not Gorilla) season is here right on schedule. Fucking thunder and lightning knocked out the TV just as Sons of Anarchy started. Fuck. If the goddamn tv is going to freeze, why must it be on a scene of Jimmy Smits' naked ass, that I really don't need.

9 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

This heat can go fuck itself. I wanna move to cooler climate so bad at this point in my life. I'm done with South Jersey. 

Back when I worked for McGraw-Hill I had to spend a couple of weeks at their Hightstown, NJ offices. While I did enjoy the cool architecture (all stone masonry), the climate was positively ghastly. Humidity was was so high that my glasses would fog up just stepping outside. Made the mistake of going to a baseball game in Philly, wasn't as bad as Jersey, but still pretty damn uncomfortable. Figured I could at least make a little side money by buying a bunch of Griffey stuff at a local card shop and selling it back home in Seattle. The LCS didn't have too much in the way of Griffey RCs, but it was worth going to just for the huge laugh courtesy of their shrine to Von Hayes. Yes, you read that correctly, the store had this huge display of signed uniform, bat, ball, and glove of the "immortal" Von Hayes. 

Back in the day Sports Collectors' Digest was filled with ads for autographed material by some truly mediocre players and I always wondered, "What sort of person buys a game-used jersey of Jamie Quirk or Phil Plantier?" Well, now I know...

I'll have you know that I own a very well made Von Hayes zip-up Rawlings home jersey. Fits snug, 36, best $17 I spent senior year on eBay in '04. 

Wore it while my friends and I walked the parade route in '08, while stopping at every side-bar down Broad for a shot of Jack till the "WFC" speech at the Bank. Longest/best Halloween ever. 

• 2 months later...

Mt. Pleasant Michigan was the second hottest city in the US Friday, as we are having an insane heat wave. Hit 90 the last four days and is expected to again the next two. 

Michigan had more 90 degree cities than Florida this weekend. 

We had three 90 degree days in June, none in July or August

Puerto Rico is still a disaster zone.  Hospitals are filling up and people are saying they're expecting to be without power for 'up to a year.'    This is 3 1/2 million American citizens. 

If you can, please donate to help them:  https://www.thefader.com/2017/09/24/donate-to-relief-efforts-in-puerto-rico