DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

I was all excited to get a nice, warm wool coat for Christmas. Since then, it's been cold enough all of one day to wear it—the one day in early January when it actually snowed enough to stick and collect in north Texas.  The number of times we've had at least a 30°F swing in under 24 hours I can't even count on my hands any more.

Just 3 years ago, we had 10 inclement-weather days way the fuck down in Austin.  This winter, we've had maybe a week when freezing temperatures were something to worry about, and more often than not we've been bouncing between the 40s and the 70s.  It's scary both because it's unpredictable and because too many people who were here when it got colder wanna sweep it under the rug.

Meanwhile, everything I've ordered in the past week that might need to come in from the northwest is snowed under with no delivery date. That's intended less as a whine than a "holy shit, this is messed up."

"We get days like this every winter." - 66 years-old father who seems to forget we don't get 50+ degree temperatures every February. I think being homebound after hip surgery has eroded his brain. Last month we had a ton of rain and it froze and was horrid. We haven't had a real snowfall in quite awhile.

We had some pretty warm weather the past couple days.  I love me some awesome weather like we had, but it sure felt weird wearing shorts in the middle of February.  And like Ryan my dad tried the "We get days like this" line, but I'm 34 and know that's nonsense.  Yes, it is Maryland where it can be warm one day and freezing the next, but it's never been like this.

It's also kind of weird to post this in "This Weather Sucks" since it definitely didn't.  This is more of a "This Weather Is Slightly Concerning" post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Salting walkways and sidewalks (there's a Pollard song title) is a bastard, especially since it's basically been a calendar year+ since we've had a worthwhile snow. I like to pretreat them. Granted, it hasn't happened yet, but it still stinks. 

Also, I'll go on a rant here, though I'm likely in the minority, what's the deal with neighbors who own a snowblower, with a minimal area to use it on? That, and maybe it's just me, but if I had one of these deals, I'd have no second thought about walking down the block, cleaning everyone's sidewalk for them. Is it so hard to help someone? You see them shoveling. Walk your ass over there and just do it. Pricks. 

I'd absolutely down a coffee and march down the block, for no pay, just clearing a path. 

Wife and kid went into DC to see Green Day tonight (was the kid's 15th birthday present). Getting them to Greenbelt was no problem. Getting them back at 10:15 was a hell of a lot worse. We got in twenty minutes ago or so and it was some of the worst driving I've done since moving out of Boston ten years ago. Even then I knew better than to drive even ten miles on a highway, mind you. There were certain points on 95 and 32 (especially 32) where there were no lights at all and no visibility. Thankfully, not many people were on the road but it's a minor miracle we're still kicking.

We closed at midnight, since work was already closed tomorrow as of 1700 tonight.

snow did not start in earnest until 2100. It was good enough driving home that i stopped at the 24-hour grocery store and stock up with mayb e 3 other customers in the store. Admittedly, some things were picked clean, but i was not buying milk or bread. Plenty of iced tea to be purchased. 

Luckily, i am already off tue and wed, so i will only spent 6 hours of leave. 

I stocked up on things I actually needed Sunday night while everything was still there.  I was preparing to work from home thinking we'd get at least 8".  Instead we get freezing rain cancelling a lot of it out.  The weather service can eat a giant bag of dicks for predicting 8-14" and there's at most maybe 2" here.  So I just took the bus to work, at least I'm not driving.  But I sure would love some quality snow right now in Baltimore and we can't even get that.

Tried to go into work since the accumulation wasn't too bad, but slipped and fell in my own driveway three times trying to clean my car off. As soon as I was going to pull out of my driveway my boss called and told me to stay home. I've since assed out again on my front steps trying to wave down a kid offering shovel services. I'm not leaving the house again today without a Life Alert. 

• Like 2

After 90+ days of snow cover, my yard is now snow-free. 60 degrees yesterday. But now it's March in Spokane, which means rain. Lots and lots and lots of rain. We're supposed to have like 25 days of rain this month. 

On 3/14/2017 at 10:09 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I stocked up on things I actually needed Sunday night while everything was still there.  I was preparing to work from home thinking we'd get at least 8".  Instead we get freezing rain cancelling a lot of it out.  The weather service can eat a giant bag of dicks for predicting 8-14" and there's at most maybe 2" here.  So I just took the bus to work, at least I'm not driving.  But I sure would love some quality snow right now in Baltimore and we can't even get that.

I was blown away by what a con the TV weather game is.  I live up north of DC and the TV stations were hyping 6-12 inches from the weekend broadcasts until Monday.  Suddenly, on Monday, they started downplaying that, saying "this is a tough storm to call, folks."  It was obviously a tough storm to call ever since they knew it was coming, but if they'd said that on Saturday, viewers would have changed the channel looking for a more accurate forecast.  So the infotainment industry game is to hype armageddon until the last possible minute, then give out the more realistic forecast.

• Like 1

I try not to go all tinfoil hat on stuff like this (bigger things to worry about), but at this point somebody has to ask how and why weather people are able to get away with this.  I would salute one person who just went up and said "No, this is what the weather's actually going to be like" and predict it on a more accurate level.

My guess is, you take something that's an inexact science to begin with, and then you make it worse by commercializing the news industry, and here we are.  I can just see a news producer asking their weather person, "well you don't know it won't be 12 inches, so could you just say there's a possibility?"  And then let job scarcity and competition in the field do the rest.  If meteorologists 1-12 aren't willing to lie to boost viewership, meteorologist #13 will.

People here in the city were complaining about "ugh some blizzard" as if not getting 22" of snow was a bad thing.  Meanwhile, what it ended up being was the absolute worst things you hear as a New Yorker:  Wintry Mix.  

This means all of us are going to spend the next 2 weeks jumping across puddles the size of Lake Erie when trying to get from one block to another.   I really don't know how February and March decided to switch places, but fuck this. 

• 1 month later...

It's snowed in April the last two years (in England). Prince died last April. Prince's most death-related song is called "Sometimes it Snows in April".Coincidence? Or something more....?