DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

So, one county over on the highway is a fucking mess with 12 semis piled up and multiple people dead.

I drove 94 on Saturday and from New Buffalo to Chesterton I spotted four semis and one pick up in the ditch. That's only a sixteen mile trip.

Yesterday it was sixty degrees at lunchtime.  When i went to take out the garbage at 6PMish, it had dropped to below fourty. 

It is currently twenty degrees outside.  Fuck.

We are supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of snow later on tonight, but mother fuckers here are at the windows watching the sky as if aliens will land at any minute.

What is it about snow and emergency service vehicles that make people stare out of windows for hours at a time?  Government workers, I swear.

It is hard to give a shit about the pending snow tonight because it probably won't earn me a snow day tomorrow.  My kid will be home chillin' and the best I can probably hope for is a two hour delay since our current CG is not quite the hard ass that the previous guy was, but he still lives and breathes "mission rediness.".

Since winter break, I think my daughter has only been to school like 5 or 6 times. Everything else has been a snow day or a way too cold as fuck day. My office has also now closed three times. Before that, my office closed a few years ago when we had a blizzard, and it was atleast 8 years or so the last time it was closed before that. Shit, we even stayed open after a horrific severe storm made the surrounding area a mess and knocked the power out everywhere, except for my office, which has a backup generator the size of semi-truck cargo carrier.

I had a liberal guilt moment this morning.  It's 6:30 and I'm on my way to the gym, it's 11F outside with wind chills around 0.  As the R train pulls up I notice the sign that no New Yorker wants to see.  The train car I'm about to get on is nearly empty.

So since the car next to this one is even MORE empty, I bite the bullet and get on.  At all four corners of the car a homeless person has taken up residence. Judging from everyone's positioning, I got on the "better" side.  So, I have to do the emergency use of my scarf as an air filter to prevent the smell of warm garbage and decay from murdering my soul for the next 30 minutes as I commute. I play Candy Crush to get my mind on anything but the smell.  And though I play the angry Dolphins fan on here, I am generally a chill guy, but oh there was hate in my heart.   

Then it hit me, it's literally freezing outside.  To send these people out into that would at the least by cruel, and in many cases, dangerous.  I want a regular non-smelly commute... but I can't justify in my head rounding these people up and booting them into the cold.

*sigh*

• Like 1

One of the things I've learned as I get older is that what's a normal winter in Alberta is actually a global catastrophe everywhere else because Alberta is uninhabitable for about 4 months a year.

A few years ago, i went on a hockey vacation where i saw games in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto in a week in February.

The coldest place was Toronto. All the winter stuffi bought for Alberta got unused, as it was 40-45 degrees.

Calgary is weird because we get warm chinook winds coming over the Rockies during winter. So it can legitimately be -30 (-22F) one week, then up to 10 (50F) the next week, and then back down to -30.

During the dead of winter, i have often asked myself "why do people live up here?"