DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

I got very, very luck, and avoided most of the snow.  Only about 2-3 inches over the last day and a half.

On the other hand, it's now -3, wind chill of -25, and it's supposed to drop steadily tonight.  Down maybe as low as -10, with windchill down in the -30's. 

On the brightside, we are supposed to get back to positive temps tomorrow.  Not double digits or anything crazy like that, but positive!

So, after reading Odessa's earlier post, I decided to go hunting around various temperatures in Antarctica, and compare them to those of us in a good chunk of the United States.

Davis Station had a reading of 46 degrees.  I don't even know anymore.

I work at a distribution company in Central Iowa and our day was fun yesterday.

Our main delivery service is UPS.  So our day took a new wrinkle when the truck carrying our 250 packages froze up during the 15 minute drive to our warehouse.  They had to get a tow truck and tow the UPS truck to our dock so we could unload it, 2 hours later than when we usually start.

Also, our 8 dock doors don't act as very good insulation.  That -40 wind chill drove right through the gaps in the doors, making our receiving department feel like an arctic wasteland all day.

TL; DR winter sucks.

So my street hadn't been plowed as of yesterday afternoon and my street is essentially one big hill...so I couldn't get my car up the hill to my house.  I had to park at an apartment complex and walk five minutes uphill in single-digit temperatures to get home.  Then this morning I had to walk five minutes back to my car(this time in sub-zero temps).  I'm officially someone's grandpa.

It looked like the plow had finally gotten to my street this morning, so hopefully I can park in my own driveway this afternoon.

I came into work all bundled up like Kelvin- only exposed skin was my eyes and the bridge of my nose. And after that I was seriously debating whether or not to get some ski goggles after work. Yeah, it's that freaking cold here.

Pete's right, those gloves are amazing.  Are they on the right hands, though?

http://www.bearhands.net/

Seriously, some of the best gloves/mittens I've owned, it's SO nice being able to take your hand out of your glove to access your phone without having to take off the entire thing.  And since they're Thinsulate-lined, they're very warm too.

Plus, small business USA, etc. etc.   Go get some!  

A discussion popped up on a Canadian message board I read about where's the cutoff in the States for "Meh, it's winter" to "Holy shit, what's all this white stuff?" Like, I imagine Chicago and New York are used to this kind of weather (albeit not quite this bad), but how far south does that extend?

As some primer questions... do cars have block heaters where you live? Is there regular plowing of roads? Do you own a snow shovel, and are you required to shovel your sidewalk?

A discussion popped up on a Canadian message board I read about where's the cutoff in the States for "Meh, it's winter" to "Holy shit, what's all this white stuff?" Like, I imagine Chicago and New York are used to this kind of weather (albeit not quite this bad), but how far south does that extend?

As some primer questions... do cars have block heaters where you live? Is there regular plowing of roads? Do you own a snow shovel, and are you required to shovel your sidewalk?

I think the easiest answer would be parts of the US where schools have built on snow days are used to it ones that don't aren't.

In rural Kentucky, where I grew up, a little snow would pretty much instantly close schools. There's lots of people living on back roads and insuring the safety of those kids on buses is not happening. Snow isn't something that happens often so they don't have a budget for trucks and salt. I got used to Chicago winter's pretty quickly. This year has been more snow than in the past, but it's really not a huge deal. Just a bitch to walk around in, when people can't be bothered to shovel - specifically the assholes who live on the same block as my son's school. What the hell guys? You know kids are walking up this everyday, don't be a dick.

I think the easiest answer would be parts of the US where schools have built on snow days are used to it ones that don't aren't.

There are places where everyone gets snow tires put on and everyone owns boots with good traction.  And there are places where no one does.  Until you move from a "no one does" place to an "everyone does" place, you can't imagine the value of good boots.

This is the year I got some badass hiking boots for when me and the Mrs. go on adventures and they're waterproof. Been wearing them the last few weeks to deal with the snow, and I think I now know how Adam feels when he raises the Power Sword and yells "I have the POWER~!".

Three days after the snowfall and my street is still a snowy slushy mess.  At least I was able to get my car up the hill to my driveway yesterday(after a few attempts), but my neighbor needed to put down a bunch of salt to make it up the hill.  Supposed to get into the 30s today so hopefully some of this will melt, but I think I heard that we're getting a bit more snow tonight.