DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Seeing as how this thing is probably not going to hit NYC, I can say this linked satellite loop is beautiful.  Knowing what's about to happen, it's fucking terrifying.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=eus&band=GEOCOLOR&length=96

20182550637_GOES16-ABI-eus-GEOCOLOR-500x

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I went to get gas on my lunch break around midnight last night and luckily Sheetz was sparsely populated and still had gas.  Today I drove by Costco and there were cars lined up down the street to get into the parking lot and pump station.  The stores are naturally out of the staples but I've got all the supplies I need to get through Thursday and Friday.

I’m in Charlotte, where they’re now saying it won’t get here until Saturday or Sunday. This morning I had to drive to four different stations to get gas, and Target was ransacked.

I was ten when Hugo came through, and even then, we could go to the grocery store the next day.

Yeah, I was there for Hugo, too, and Columbia didn't see too many problems, if any that I can recall. But, self-inflicted ones do sound about right. 

OTOH, even if this is still a Cat 3 like Hugo, its size, spread, and movement are always the big question marks. Hugo did go through pretty quickly. 

We had flash flooding today. Just for a few minutes. I was home because half of everyone is sick. I was taking one kid to an appt. The wipers die on my Equinox. I was able to get to a side street and wait it out but it was a hell of a thing. Some quick research shows me this is a pretty common problem. It's at the dealership now and I've been in touch with Chevy. I'm just lucky we won't be hit harder.

It's really windy and raining on and off but otherwise nothing too wild. The other day the track changed and the hurricane veered further south so the triangle area isn't expected to be hit as hard. My power is still up but several friends nearby have reported theirs has flickered or gone out.

Thankfully so far while it's been rainy and windy and cool (which my arthritis just loves, let me tell you...), it's not been as bad as they had originally thought. I've endured worse thunderstorms here at the house. The flooding will be epic, so I'm keeping an eye on the water treatment plant that flooded 3 years ago, but it looks like I dodged most of the scattershot blast. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Thankfully so far while it's been rainy and windy and cool (which my arthritis just loves, let me tell you...), it's not been as bad as they had originally thought. I've endured worse thunderstorms here at the house. The flooding will be epic, so I'm keeping an eye on the water treatment plant that flooded 3 years ago, but it looks like I dodged most of the scattershot blast. 

I am glad to hear that you are okay, JL.

The 804 got a bit of wind and rain, but unfortunately the Carolinas got the worst of it.  I heard on the news that at least ten people were killed during the storm. :(

Goes to show that even a Category 1 Hurricane is still a potentially life threatening event.  Take these storms seriously, folks.

• Like 1

Yep.  My sister is an Elementary School teacher and she was told to shelter in place along with kids from two other schools.  She got home safe albeit three hours later than normal.

My mom's house is okay, but there is a lot of damage across the county where a tornado touched down and someone was killed when a building suffered a direct hit.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather minor in the general scope of things but it fucking snowed this morning! Didn't stick, but it is cold, and my knee hurts like a fury because of it.

Upstream dam:

Dppua6dU8AMtsBb.jpg

Downstream dam

River's supposed to rise 9 feet tonight.  Fortunately all we have out there right now is a dock and a pumphouse.  Gonna be interesting to see what's left of our place when we can get in to see it.  Friends a few streets over said they can't get in or out.  Stuck between that shit on one side and flooded creeks on the other.

And I just now found video of our place.  Can't figure out how to embed this one.  We're just to the left of the two story house with the blue roof 4 seconds in, the first story of which is nearly underwater.  Those houses are 200 feet or so off the waterline.  Water's probably 15 feet over the roof of our dock.

http://www.meteotube.net/2018/10/16/incredible-video-major-flooding-in-lake-marble-falls-texas-oct-16-2018/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

• Sad 1