DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

We had two tornadoes here yesterday, which may be while I have a large branch down on my roof and was without power for 12 hours. We're OK, and the roof seems to be intact, but now I get to play stupid games with Nationwide about what (if anything) they'll cover.

We ended up with about 23 inches by estimates. Some areas got well over 30. No, this is not normal in Wisconsin ANY time of the year. Our seasonal total is usually in the 40s.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

We ended up with about 23 inches by estimates. Some areas got well over 30. No, this is not normal in Wisconsin ANY time of the year. Our seasonal total is usually in the 40s.

I was going to bitch about the 3-4 inches we got in Madison but you know what?  I'm good.

You can complain, but know that I will find your domicile next time I'm down there and angrily shake my fist at you and then dart off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: things have gotten bad enough in the ensuing hours that we're pretty much resigned to getting a fairly large sized loan to restore our downstairs/waterproof. The roads around us are all flooded over and we've still got a few hours left to go of this, plus maybe another t-storm on Tuesday.

• Sad 4

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

Update: things have gotten bad enough in the ensuing hours that we're pretty much resigned to getting a fairly large sized loan to restore our downstairs/waterproof. The roads around us are all flooded over and we've still got a few hours left to go of this, plus maybe another t-storm on Tuesday.

Yeah, our neighborhood nearly turned into Atlantis over the weekend.  I am hoping that the rain that I wanted to water my lawn didn't end up washing all of my grass seed into the drainage system.

The weather systems are totally weird.  The same cold front that brought me nearly zero rainfall about a week ago sent a river down the main street in Ellicott City.

My woman called me this morning and said that her commute to Ft. Belvior was totally comical as half of Fairfax County is submerged.

We won't start hitting the nineties until a week or so from now and then we'll spend the rest of the month bitching about the heat and lack of rain, then July will bring monsoon (not Gorilla) season and we will be sorry that we ever mentioned rain. It's not the rain so much as it is the lightning storms with strikes right there in the fucking alley!!! Yes, you can see the scars on the tree one house up the alley where the lightning hit while my brother-in-law was outside grilling. Poor dude was shaking for about fifteen minutes, I guess having electric death twenty feet away will do that for you....

Sounds like a tornado just missed me by about 25 kilometers or so. My power's out but it's 2018 so both my laptop and internet hub have built in batteries because of course they do. Hub having a battery actually rules during severe weather as it turns out since I can get instant updates without having to try and get clear radio reception in a basement during a major storm and trying to make out a weather alert through a wall of static.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Sounds like a tornado just missed me by about 25 kilometers or so. My power's out but it's 2018 so both my laptop and internet hub have built in batteries because of course they do. Hub having a battery actually rules during severe weather as it turns out since I can get instant updates without having to try and get clear radio reception in a basement during a major storm and trying to make out a weather alert through a wall of static.

Glad it missed you. And I've had my internet hub on a UPS since forever, since the best way to keep up with weather stuff is the internet. I can watch the weather/news people on my Kindle Fire and not miss a beat.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, now we're in the nineties and I am hating it. It's 4AM and still well into the eighties inside the house. To make matters worse, Sersei and Sandor want to sleep with us for some reason. This is too hot for cuddly cats. 

• 2 months later...

Holy Shit, Jen.  Keep safe.

Since I am "mission essential" I will have to report for weekend duty even if I have to get to work by boat.

I'm concerned about my family and friends that live in or near Charlotte since the storm is on a direct path with the Carolinas.  I'm hoping that the 804 will be spared the brunt of Florence's wrath.

Just now, J.T. said:

Holy Shit, Jen.  Keep safe.

Since I am "mission essential" I will have to report for weekend duty even if I have to get to work by boat.

I am working this weekend (except to go to the philly comicon) so i expect to lose another 2 days of PLP when they close post Thursday. 

Aaaaand I just learned this morning that my mom fell while in the shower yesterday and tore her rotatot cuff.  Why does she never call me to tell me about these things when they happen?

I'm going to call my brother and have him come down on Thursday to take my mom to Blacksburg for the weekend.  

My sister and I can suffer through the bad weather and stick around town to keep an eye on my dad and the dogs.

• Sad 3

I went to get gas on my lunch break around midnight last night and luckily Sheetz was sparsely populated and still had gas.  Today I drove by Costco and there were cars lined up down the street to get into the parking lot and pump station.  The stores are naturally out of the staples but I've got all the supplies I need to get through Thursday and Friday.  Since my work week starts on Saturday and my department is Business Critical I've got to be there regardless of the weather conditions, but fortunately my commute isn't low lying nor prone to having debris in the road.

• Sad 1

On 9/10/2018 at 4:59 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hey, so Hurricane Florence (and the Machine) is headed to the Carolina coast.   Everyone in that area, be god damned careful and stock up on supplies if you haven't already. 

The dog days are over? I DON'T THINK SO!

• Like 1

Y'all on the East Coast be careful, going to work during a hurricane is not heroic or dedicated, it's fucking stupid, don't take chances. Our thoughts are with you. 

• Thanks 1

Mine too.  It figures that I've got night duty until next Friday and I'm "essential personnel" for the duration of this training exercise, so I'll be commuting to work around the time that Florence makes landfall. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, JLSigman said:

Jen, unless that mattress doubles as a floatation device, you need to (easier said than done) do your best to collect your mom and the pets and shit and get the fuck out of Dodge.