DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

As someone who has been working outside most of the week, adnittedly just taking notes while others did much heavier work, i agree.

Its been 4-5 on the army's wet bulb index, so lots of water breaks and sittinf in shade.

It's 97F on it's way to 100.   Real Feel is 104-113 depending on where you look.

Not to belittle your problems, but here in Dallas we call that "almost every single day in July and August, except for the days it goes up to 110".  (Although it's only supposed to get up to 92F today, so it's cooler than average here now.)  Of course, your average Libyan or Death Valley resident could easily one-up me the same way...

Weather guys said this cold front was going to come in around noon. Now it's moved to 7. Not very fast for a jet stream if you ask me. It's 86.5 degrees in my apartment. 

Still this summer is WAY better than last year's. Last year I went crazy from the heat. I was like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now in this motherfucker. 

I'm trying to figure out if the heat in NYC makes people crazy, or if the crazy people all come out during the heat.  I've seen some weird shit in the past few days.  I have also seen several people who were 91% naked.  Sometimes that was a good thing....other times not so much.

Sounds like real life version of Do the Right Thing.

Weather guys said this cold front was going to come in around noon. Now it's moved to 7. Not very fast for a jet stream if you ask me. It's 86.5 degrees in my apartment. 

Still this summer is WAY better than last year's. Last year I went crazy from the heat. I was like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now in this motherfucker. 

No air conditioning, I take it?  You have got to invest in one of those swamp coolers.  It'll keep at least 1-2 rooms semi-cool, depending on the square footage. Just fill it with cold water and/or ice and enjoy some coolness.

I've been working on building one of my own. I load my freezer with old gallon juice containers to keep it energy efficient, so when it gets too hot we just lay on top of them. Eventually they'll be my ammo for a "swamp cooler." I'm just trying to find the right housing. It's a pet project of mine.

But I will say I've become ridiculously good at naturally venting my house. I know I'm complaining now, but I can usually get it down pretty nice in the evenings. It's the days that are rough.

It's been nearly a month straight of rain here. Finally broke down and bought a dehumidifier so that towels and such would not get mildew. Wettest June since forever, and July apparently took that as a challenge. :-p

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, we're having a massive tornado outbreak today across IL, IN, MI, OH, etc. However, you know the weather situation is bonkers when our lead meteorologist breaks kayfabe to be astonished by something, posting on Facebook:

Holy.... reports of debris falling from the sky in parts of NE Illinois near Mazon.

My CBS Weatherman just told me we're in a PDS. It sounds really official and important, but I'd never heard of it as it pertains to weather. It turns out he was saying "particularly dangerous situation".

I hate weathermen so much.

The PDS Tornado watches and warnings practically state that if you are not in a secure location when the storm hits, you are not likely to survive. The initiated those after the super-breakouts in southern Indiana and Joplin. It's thought to have saved lives when Oklahoma had their severe weather earlier this summer.