DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

We got through it, but the fire was about a mile away from my house in two different directions. Same with my brother. One of my best friends had the burn line literally get within feet of his house before it was put out. It's been a ridiculous ordeal. I was on the radio for 60 hours reporting on it the week it happened. Just mass pandemonium at some points, but we got through it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

We got through it, but the fire was about a mile away from my house in two different directions. Same with my brother. One of my best friends had the burn line literally get within feet of his house before it was put out. It's been a ridiculous ordeal. I was on the radio for 60 hours reporting on it the week it happened. Just mass pandemonium at some points, but we got through it.

Tim,

I was watching along through FB as you posted updates here from the other side of the country and I just have to say that you were a champ, staying up, reaching out, gathering info, getting it out to the community, basically doing everything you could with the resources you had to help people in the situation. 

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Tim,

I was watching along through FB as you posted updates here from the other side of the country and I just have to say that you were a champ, staying up, reaching out, gathering info, getting it out to the community, basically doing everything you could with the resources you had to help people in the situation. 

Thanks, Matt. There were a couple people with better first hand info than I had and so when I was on the radio, I was just relaying what I could. But yeah, it was crazy. I still haven't really come down from it.

• 1 month later...

Los Angeles fires are crazy right now and I just got an emergency alert on my phone that winds are supposed to be even stronger tonight than they have been for the past two days.  It's so bad they're shutting down Universities due to the horrible air quality.  

And now a set of power lines blew down on one of my favorite hiking trails about 5 miles from my apartment and THAT has already spread and destroyed a few structures.  

Snowing pretty hard here in Austin.  If this stuff starts to stick, we'll get the hilarity of watching Texans trying to drive on ice.  Maybe we can top the record of over a thousand accidents in a single day we set in an ice storm back in the late 80s.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Snowing pretty hard here in Austin.  If this stuff starts to stick, we'll get the hilarity of watching Texans trying to drive on ice.  Maybe we can top the record of over a thousand accidents in a single day we set in an ice storm back in the late 80s.

I'm pretty sure the last time it snowed in earnest here was February 2010, when I first came to town for rehab at the Chris Cole Center for the Blind.  I mean, I know we've had freezing rain and ice on the roads since then, but actual flaky snow? Pretty sure that hasn't happened.

12 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I'm pretty sure the last time it snowed in earnest here was February 2010, when I first came to town for rehab at the Chris Cole Center for the Blind.  I mean, I know we've had freezing rain and ice on the roads since then, but actual flaky snow? Pretty sure that hasn't happened.

We've had a tiny bit here and there at my house since that one, but I live out on the southwestern edge of Mopac.  Nothing like this, though.  First snow of any sort my son has ever seen, and he'll be 3 next month.

19 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I may or may not get some snowflakes, it depends on which weather idiot you look at. Then it just gets really fucking cold. 

You're in the Carolinas, you're surrounded by snowflakes 24/7/365...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Good morning, barely 30 degrees!

*mutters about living in the SOUTH, DAMNIT*

And a good morning to you! It was 8 degrees at 4:30 when Waldo wanted to go out.  8 degrees!!! I'm in the SW where construction crews actually take a siesta during summer months as it is literally dangerous to work in the level of heat that we get.  8 degrees!!! Two weeks ago the cats were still bringing in lizards to torture.

The 804 turned into Winter Wonderland during my bi-weekly commute back to my crib in Odenton, MD. 

My daughter and I had a ball, though.  We continued to listen to the audiobook version of Ready Player One while we were stuck in traffic in near Caroline county..

The trip back was uneventful.  it was in the low 40's on Sunday so the highways were clear and we made good time.

Took me about 45 minutes to make a 5 mile road trip to pick up my dinner. We live near a big hill, so it took maybe 15 minutes to up it, between waiting at the bottom and crawling up the hill at <5 mph. 

Definitely glad I came home from shopping after lunch.

This is one of the reasons that we moved to the Southwest. I usually wake up to a text from my father, who is still in NY, talking about the low temperatures and the snow. I get to reply that it's sunny and the high is in the 60's. I do the same thing to the sister in Florida. I tell her that it was so cold today that I ALMOST put on pants!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...