DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

Hell Washington state has pretty much any kind of climate you could want. Desert east of the mountains, rainforest in the peninsula, etc

Not quite that much of variety over here, but I'm pretty sure that if one would travel from the southernmost tip of Finland to northermost depths of Lapland close to Norwegian border somewhere in the early Spring, they'd be seemingly in two completely different climates. This goes for Sweden and Norway too, and even more since they stretch geograpically even further down South, but share similar arctic and mountains in the North.

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Friday here: High 55, Low 17

Hey!  We get that on Saturday!    But don't worry, regardless of what's going on, you (probably) won't get as cold as Chicken, Alaska:

(That's -52C for those of you who measure in non-freedom units)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

It won't get above freezing on Christmas Eve here in the 804 and we've got two days of rain ahead of us.   Thank God I have mostly adults in my family that just want gift cards to their favorite stores and restaurants.   Shopping this year will be a breeze.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

FknixAYaEAAAooG?format=jpg&name=large

Just another lovely day in northern Alberta.

Look, I'm not saying you have to do it, but if you don't go out and do the "boiling water thrown into the air becomes insta-snow" video...   

Well, I cannot be held responsible for the consequences of my actions. 

• Like 2

The bomb cyclone is officially here on the East Coast.  Temp has dipped from 40F to currently 25F with a wind chill factor of -10 to -15.

I think I have my thermostat set to 72.  I will dread the electricity bill, but I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own house.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm more annoyed about the power going out more times than I can count. Luckily I only had a half hour left of work before it was constantly doing that. 

The rental house I just moved into has a propane powered emergency generator and the fuel tank is full.   I'm covered if there is a power outage as long as the outage doesn't last for days and shit. 

I just need my mom to not be stubborn and come over to my place to stay if the electricity goes out at her house.

• Like 1

Came home to a couple inches of water in my basement, thanks to the nearly 24 hours of downpour and 6 inches of snow melting without a thawed ground to absorb even some of it. Gonna lose some rugs and some cheap furniture, which is whatever, but tonight was my night to do Xmas with my teens. Really fucking bummed to lose that as it was but, not to get too much into The Dad Zone, but one of those teens disappointed me more than I've ever been disappointed so I honestly don't think there's even going to be a late Xmas gathering. Throw on top of that all that shit could get SIGNIFICANTLY worse with freezing temperatures and the potential to lose power and, well, as the youth today say, I'm shook 😞

• Sad 5

Update: cleaning up, slowly but surely. Xmas is still basically cancelled but at least I can salvage most of my basement shit. I didn't even mention earlier that it's home to our family room, with the 65" TV and PS5, but so far the only electronic loss might be our mid-range soundbar - and even that might just be the power brick. 

Also pro-tip for anybody owning a home with a useable basement - GET THAT MOTHERFUCKER WATERPROOFED!!! Also get a carpet cleaner that has a "dry only" option so you can suck up water out of rugs and clear large puddles, that thing has helped me a ton in the last 24 hours 🤞🏻

• Like 3

22 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm more annoyed about the power going out more times than I can count. Luckily I only had a half hour left of work before it was constantly doing that. 

I lost power 6:20am Friday, right when the winds kicked in. When the house got to 55 degrees we went to a hotel. It took the power company over 18 hours to get the power back on. It was 32 when we checked into the hotel (around 3pm), and 18 when we checked out this morning.

• Sad 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The air quality in Gotham (AQI 159) is the absolute worst I can ever remember due to the Quebec wildfires. I can barely breathe... it seriously reminds me of my business trip to Mumbai/Beijing years ago before they started getting their shit together. Stay inside, folks.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

The air quality in Gotham (AQI 159) is the absolute worst I can ever remember due to the Quebec wildfires. I can barely breathe... it seriously reminds me of my business trip to Mumbai/Beijing years ago before they started getting their shit together. Stay inside, folks.

Yeah it's supposed to be like this until tomorrow at least.  But it's like perpetual sunset even in the middle of the day.

I know these fires are in the middle of fucking nowhere, but god damnit Canada get your shit together and get them out.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah this was supposed to be my walk/jogging day and I had multiple things popping up to tell me that this was a bad idea here in NJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone here has ever experienced a heat index of 119 degrees F (48.3 C) but I do not recommend. Setting an all-time record for Austin, and it's only the first day of summer. No true relief in sight.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Not sure if anyone here has ever experienced a heat index of 119 degrees F (48.3 C) but I do not recommend. Setting an all-time record for Austin, and it's only the first day of summer. No true relief in sight.

I was at the ECW Arena for Heatwave '95. Temperature: 102. Heat index: 135. Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE DEGREES. I came down with heatstroke and didn't even make it into the building. 🥵

• Sad 2