DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Not that it compares to that in the least but we have been having snow squalls out here, which I've never experienced before somehow. Apparently they're whiteouts that last for only a couple minutes at a time. The first one was just weird, completely round sleet that looked like shipping foam, the second one was thick heavy snow with enormous flakes and high wind that melted away within half an hour, and the third one I stupidly decided to drive into for fun. It was over in moments and the sun was creeping through the clouds. I can see blue skies now and it's probably back up above freezing again. STRANGE.  

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, it's been a real winter over here as well, but I prefer this to the option of snow, sleet, water, melting snow, freezing again, snowing again, rinse, repeat until May, like the bullshit we had last year! If the weather remains similar for a couple of weeks at a time, at least one can dress accordingly. When it's 4 different seasons within a 3-day span, that's pretty challenging.

Illinois has a notoriety for that at times, where it seems like the weather changes by the day. You never really get used to it.

UPDATE: Took it a week but it's finally here. 6"-10" is the estimation and it's already whiteout conditions, not supposed to stop until sometime Wednesday. Fucking February...

Edited by Curt McGirt

I heard snow falling for the first time ever late last night. It was weird. Also this feels like the first time I have really seen snow covering roofs, driveways, and the streets with around an inch of it. We've had smalls bit the last two decades but nothing quite like last night.

Edited by Eivion

Drove from home in NH today to just outside Columbus, Ohio, didn't get too shitty until about two hours from my hotel. Tomorrow I drive to Tulsa (gotta be in Southern California for a job Friday), hoping that the majority of the bad weather happens overnight. 

Supposed to be two degrees here (south of Austin) tonight.  Was under ten last night. We  had ice built up inside the house around window frames. Houses and infrastructure here ain’t built for this. We’ve got power and water still, but most folks I know have lost at least one of the pair. 

• Like 2

I work for a company that handles leasing and maintenance calls for apartment complexes across the country, and for the past 2 days, all we've gotten are power outages, water outages, and burst pipes and threatened collapsed ceilings from Texas. When I clocked out today, the queue of calls was still over an hour long.

Got a couple friends down there and one has been out of power for going on four days now. There's 17 dead already and they've asked for refrigerated trucks, which has a pitch black note of humor to it. Their power grid, which is separate from the entire country, should have been hooked up to the rest of the country yesterday, but instead the power companies got carte blanche to raise prices 1000% due to limitations so those who haven't disconnected will expect $9000 power bills. 

God Bless America

We lost power for around 9 hours. My aunt lost power twice though thankfully the second time was less than 90 minutes (first was more than 12). Both my sisters lost power with my younger sister also having her pipe burst in her house (she was already having issues). Luckily she is able to stay at her job in the hospital. I think she mentioned spending the last 4 nights there.

Like you guys don't have enough bullshit to deal with! I guess calling it an icing on a shit sundae is an appropriate inappropriate mixed metaphor for this one! Try not die out there, as if there weren't plenty of dangers out there before this.

Well the power went out sometime Tuesday, and blinked in and out randomly the rest of the week. REALLY FUCKING SUCKED?

Ditto water except once it went off it never came back ??

Powers back on today, water might be coming back now that our pipes are thawing EXCEPT we still gotta get through tonight with more below freezing temperatures, although news says the temps should be up again by 10ish am ? They've not got anything right yet so we'll see 

Thank the gods my mom went to stay with my sister's family in Lockhart after retirement, I would have hated for her to stay alone in her house with all the craziness of this week. Two of my aunts homes had pipe bursts/flooding, one had to go to the doctor due to chest pains from blackouts/extreme subzero temps, and now that this hell week is almost over im grateful that we didn't lose anyone as I've been reading all week about so many dying from the blackouts/extreme freezing temperatures ?

Fuck, im just pissed in general ?. I'm 40+ and the closest we've had to a bad freeze was back in 85, the snow days we had in the last 3 years weren't nearly as bad and actually quite brief so we were NOT ready in any way

Forgive my ranting, just had to vent before I go nuts. I'm in the armpit of nowhere, our grocery stores are understandably severely understocked, and we STILL don't know what next week looks like. Can we go back to work, is it flooded? WHAT THE HELL i just wish it were March already. ?

Fuck 2021

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Its been somewhere in the 50s-60s for the last week or so. Now, we got an inch of snow dumping on the ground. Good old Illinois doesn't skip a beat in reminding you not to get too comfortable. 

Yeah, Spring is being WEIRD down here this year. Way more upping and downing then I can remember. Like, today it'll be 77F with 30mph winds and a ref flag burn warning, tomorrow morning it'll be mid 30's with potential frost.

• 2 months later...

It's going to be hot this weekend up here. 96 on Saturday, 102 on Sunday and 106 on Monday. 

It's going to be hotter in Seattle than it will be in Los Angeles or Miami. 

Seattle's only ever had ONE 100 degree day in June and that was in 1955. So a lot of folks up here are gonna be sweltering.